Watched, Watched, Watching: It's not the plane, it's the pilot

Veltigar

25 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I watched Ad Astra. Weird film.

I quite enjoyed it, but it also did one of my pet hates where it put on some hard SF trappings and in some respects leaned into them quite well but then presented some really basic scientific fakery like 'okay we're just gonna pull the spaceship over at the side of the road for a moment'. 

Still, as an attempt at a spaceborn Heart of Darkness it did a decent job of what it was aiming for.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've never actually managed to see the movie. Granted I'm not constantly checking, but I've never seen it streaming. I even tried pirating it once, figuring if some lawyer sent me an angry letter for pirating Tiptoes ....awesome! but the only active torrent was like files to burn to a DVD and it seemed like too much trouble to see if I still had a burner anywhere. One day I hope to see it. 

36 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I watched Ad Astra. Weird film.

I wasn't a fan of it. Surprisingly boring. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I've never actually managed to see the movie. Granted I'm not constantly checking, but I've never seen it streaming. I even tried pirating it once, figuring if some lawyer sent me an angry letter for pirating Tiptoes ....awesome! but the only active torrent was like files to burn to a DVD and it seemed like too much trouble to see if I still had a burner anywhere. One day I hope to see it. 

The weird thing is Dinklage claims the extended cut is really good, but the version few people saw was one of the worst movies ever made. 

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

but the only active torrent was like files to burn to a DVD and it seemed like too much trouble to see if I still had a burner anywhere.

You can rip files from a .ISO just like you can from a physical disc - there's no need to actually burn it. Or you can play the .ISO directly with VLC.

I've seen Tiptoes at some point. Don't recall much of it other than Dinklage had a French accent, and that I didn't realize Gary Oldman was Rolphe until near the end. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Isn't Buffy just too well known, and recognized, all across pop culture fandoms, as well as viewers like me who never have and never will belong to any kind of fandom,  to be called 'cult' or 'niche'?  It was on mainstream broadcast television.  Liking or not liking isn't the same as recognizing w/o trouble a reference to the series and the primary characters.  Or am I missing something?

Definitely too much to be "niche".

Not too much to be "cult", since that doesn't mean "unpopular". It means it has a passionate, dedicated fanbase. As opposed to the kind of mainstream popularity where it gets huge ratings but most people enjoy it casually.

It was on a broadcast network, yes 

So were Hannibal and Pushing Daisies, for instance. On even bigger networks, in fact. (NBC / FOX > WB/UPN) But they are still considered cult shows 

52 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If your defence of your definition is that it's the one most people use but three separate people have now queried your use of it in this case, you maybe might have to consider that it's not the one most people use. 

Very brave and original of you to try to defend the "all the people in this thread who think Buffy is great are part of a niche group that just happened to post here" argument with the "the fact that three people in this thread think that 'cult' means extremely unpopular means that this is how this word is commonly used" argument! Such a bold and interesting choice!

Did a rewatch of Gosford Park recently. Crikey, it's 20 years old. The cast is: every decent British actor you can think of... and it also has Clive Owen in it. If you love Poirot and all those crumbling old country house + murder mystery type of thing then this is right up your street. 

This weekend while I was sick I watched The I-Land. It was a mild distraction from feeling rubbish. Only seven episodes. Enough time for you to work out which characters you like and dislike and try to figure out what the mystery of the island is. Would recommend if you wanted a show to watch in a day. 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Indeed I do. It's my favorite anime series. 

I've been considering watching this show. There are very few anime that I actually enjoy, most of them old. The anime tv shows I like are:

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes

2. Monster

3. Cowboy Bebop

4. Tatami Galaxy

5. FLCL

6. Attack on Titan

That's about it. However, I've been reading Cradle, which is a progression fantasy. To me, progression fantasy in concept sounds terrible. But in terms of pure entertainment, Cradle has offered some of the most fantastic experiences I've had reading. And I'm told that Cradle has similarities to DBZ, so I'm inclined to give it a chance.

I saw Top Gun: Maverick and I've got to say it's the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in years. Visceral action instead of CGI splashed all over the place, lots of heart, and a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter Marvel stuff we're getting most of the time.

Tom Cruise deserves every cent, even if it's all going to the mighty Xenu.

Finished Season 3 of Atlanta. Bizarre, but darkly genius and quite sophisticated in how it tackles topics like cancel culture. I couldn't work out if Glover bringing on a bunch of "cancelled" figures and giving them more exposure was him saying he supports them or (I suspect more likely) he's showing they're not cancelled at all and get a fucking grip? I'm thinking Neeson in particular was in on that joke.

Season 4 is already in the can and airing this autumn, so I'm wondering what the format will be. They haven't said much apart from that it will be set in Atlanta again and will feel like a "greatest hits" season, so probably it will be the exact opposite.

I have Bob's Burgers trucking along as my current comedy show of choice (reliably amusing, occasionally brilliant). Not sure which drama to crack into next. Should polish off (or at least get up to date) Better Call Saul really. I think I left that hanging in Season 4.

3 hours ago, IFR said:

That's about it. However, I've been reading Cradle, which is a progression fantasy. To me, progression fantasy in concept sounds terrible. But in terms of pure entertainment, Cradle has offered some of the most fantastic experiences I've had reading. And I'm told that Cradle has similarities to DBZ, so I'm inclined to give it a chance.

I checked out Cowboy Bebop a year or two ago and thought it was great. Too bad the live action version didn't work.

DBZ is a great show with some of the best characters (including one of the greatest antiheros ever), but it's not without its flaws. The show is incredibly long and honestly like 50% of it is filler. Like all the drawn out stare downs.

A few episodes into The Old Man and really quite liking it.  Second episode had a sequence that took my breath away.  Also recently started Severance and and the recommendation of my daughters, New Girl.  I'm intrigued by Severance  with it's dark oddness and it's hard to not be charmed by Zoey Deschanel.  

Archived