Watched, Watched, Watching: It's not the plane, it's the pilot

Veltigar

Attack on Titan is maybe the Anime that made me give up on Anime. On the face of it, a really well made, gripping story which a cool concept (though basically just a take on a number of standard Anime tropes). However the 'Animeness' of it is something I just can't bring myself to enjoy.

It's the same thing with all of those shows, the overwrought emotion, my inability to tell characters apart, the dragging inertia of the storyline, the constant earsplitting screaming and wailing, the 'Thin Red Line' style teenage internal monologues. I just can't enjoy it, as much as I try. 

It's the same with pretty much every Japanese Anime I've ever seen, from Deathnote, Demon Slayer... pretty much all of them. Ok One Punch Man is amazing, but its a send up of many of the same tropes so I can live with it. 

I think this is why animation that takes some of the Anime styling and is basically Western is much more something I can watch, stuff like Castlevania or Avatar.

I have Bob's Burgers trucking along as my current comedy show of choice (reliably amusing, occasionally brilliant).

BB is really pretty underrated.. certainly it was by me for a long time. I think the first few seasons are great, there are some expertly comedic performances and writing on the show and it manages to pull together a likeable family dynamic on a show that is as good as anything since golden age Simpsons.

I recently tried to watch the movie , yes it got a movie, but I feel like there is a level of burn out for what this show can do. Most of the settings and situations have been played out multiple times and I'm not sure there is any more fuel left to burn with the concept.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Attack on Titan is maybe the Anime that made me give up on Anime. On the face of it, a really well made, gripping story which a cool concept (though basically just a take on a number of standard Anime tropes). However the 'Animeness' of it is something I just can't bring myself to enjoy.

It's the same thing with all of those shows, the overwrought emotion, my inability to tell characters apart, the dragging inertia of the storyline, the constant earsplitting screaming and wailing, the 'Thin Red Line' style teenage internal monologues. I just can't enjoy it, as much as I try. 

It's the same with pretty much every Japanese Anime I've ever seen, from Deathnote, Demon Slayer... pretty much all of them. Ok One Punch Man is amazing, but its a send up of many of the same tropes so I can live with it. 

I think this is why animation that takes some of the Anime styling and is basically Western is much more something I can watch, stuff like Castlevania or Avatar.

I agree with this. I found much of season 1 of AoT a struggle for this very reason. It has a very "anime" identity, which I do not like.

It was only because I found some value in season 1 and strong assurances from a friend who is basically my twin in taste that I proceeded. Midway into season 2 the show stopped being any kind of struggle at all: the positives so far outweighed the negatives. With season 3, I was completely sold, and so far I have not been disappointed.

Monster occasionally falls for anime tropes, but for the most part avoids them. It's almost like an HBO drama.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is probably one of the least anime type of animes I've seen. There are virtually no tropes I can think of. They certainly didn't draw my attention if they were present. 

The other shows listed do have tropes, but I found that they successfully incorporated them into the show's unique, weird identity.

Also, I agree with enthusiasm about your appreciation of Avatar. I adore that show.

I haven't seen Castlevania, but I may sample some episodes.

One of these days I will shut up about Buffy, but since it’s the lifeline keeping me sane at this point in life, I can’t hold back the flood of appreciation. I truly don’t think I have ever related to a tv series to this extent. The way each and every episode grasps the struggles of life and being human is mind blowing. They pick the most challenging situation a character can be put in and jump head first into everything that’s embarrassing, awkward, painful, difficult, hopeless, mind-boggling about it. They push straight through the hardest of its core and bring the character out better on the other side. It’s just so impressive, I could spend an entire year with my full time job’s being the analysis of Buffy. I could also spend an entire year baking pies. Or walking dogs. Okay, I’m drifting off topic. I could also spend an entire year having hot chocolate with Spike and Clem. 

Season 7 is quite next level when it comes to thrill, mystery, twists, turns and unimaginable creative genius. 

You definitely need to give Angel a try. If it helps, Spike has cameos the first two seasons, then ... well, saying more may be a spoiler, but suffice it to say if you're hooked by Angel by the second season then you'll want to watch the rest anyways.

1 hour ago, IFR said:

I agree with this. I found much of season 1 of AoT a struggle for this very reason. It has a very "anime" identity, which I do not like.

It was only because I found some value in season 1 and strong assurances from a friend who is basically my twin in taste that I proceeded. Midway into season 2 the show stopped being any kind of struggle at all: the positives so far outweighed the negatives. With season 3, I was completely sold, and so far I have not been disappointed.

I think I gave up on AoT midway through season 2 in fact, maybe it was just at the point where it got interesting, but that first half a season was an incredible drag, I found myself just skipping though episodes to see if anything interesting was going to happen.

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

You definitely need to give Angel a try. If it helps, Spike has cameos the first two seasons, then ... well, saying more may be a spoiler, but suffice it to say if you're hooked by Angel by the second season then you'll want to watch the rest anyways.

I sure will, I’m far from ready to part with this universe. I have also considered starting Buffy all over again, but Angel is probably the better option. 

44 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think I gave up on AoT midway through season 2 in fact, maybe it was just at the point where it got interesting, but that first half a season was an incredible drag, I found myself just skipping though episodes to see if anything interesting was going to happen.

Fair enough. The major revelation midway into season 2 I found to be so unexpected and masterfully delivered that I was immediately engaged. If what the show gets right doesn't do it for you, then it was probably for the best to drop it. The "anime" nature of the show does not change.

And there is so much media out there catering to every interest that it seems kind of a waste in general to try to force yourself to like something because other people are enthusiastic about it. Individuality in taste is important!

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

BB is really pretty underrated.. certainly it was by me for a long time. I think the first few seasons are great, there are some expertly comedic performances and writing on the show and it manages to pull together a likeable family dynamic on a show that is as good as anything since golden age Simpsons.

I recently tried to watch the movie , yes it got a movie, but I feel like there is a level of burn out for what this show can do. Most of the settings and situations have been played out multiple times and I'm not sure there is any more fuel left to burn with the concept.

I watched the movie last night on HBO Max (which makes no sense to me as it was a Fox property bought by disney) and while I enjoyed it' it's crazy how many plot points were retreads of stuff done on the show. 

Also the songs used to be my favorite part. I bought the music album on CD. I feel like they sing too much now, and the ones in the movie were meh. It looked great though. 

Been making my way through Better Call Saul season 5. At episode 6 right now and I really do love this show. Looking forward to finish it and move on into season 6.

22 hours ago, Darryk said:

I saw Top Gun: Maverick and I've got to say it's the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in years. Visceral action instead of CGI splashed all over the place, lots of heart, and a refreshing change from the cookie-cutter Marvel stuff we're getting most of the time.

Tom Cruise deserves every cent, even if it's all going to the mighty Xenu.

Welcome to the folds of the Blessed! We can all be Tom's wingmen anytime ;)

Watched Thor L&T, ehh, about what I expected, not the biggest fan of Thor in general.

Watched The Terminal List, not sure if I already mentioned it or not but it was pretty good. Son in law really liked it, jacked up about the authenticity of the tech, movements and such.

Better Call Saul final season is not disappointing, continuing it's strong run.

12 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Attack on Titan's anime adaptation has problems with its pace. I remember struggling with season 2 or 3, even though I think the manga is phenomenal.
Truth may be that it's the kind of work that is better read than watched. Like, I think One Piece is amazing, but I'm not even sure I watched a dozen episodes from the anime. I've only watched S1 of Demon Slayer or One-Punch Man, and only read Jujutsu Kaisen.
Honestly, if you're over 30, you may be better off reading manga than watching anime (when the original work is a manga, needless to say). You need a lot of time for anime, and the adaptations often have pacing problems (when it's not worse).

Last watches:
- Latest Jurassic World. I was told it was as bad as Matrix 4. Beg to differ, Jurassic World's cheesiness ends up being endearing. Oh sure, it's a terrible movie, but at least it's honest about its project (linking Jurassic Park to Jurassic World) and faithful to the spirit of the franchise. Wouldn't recommend it, but wouldn't destroy it either.
- The Orville (S3): so far this season is a mixed bag, with some good episodes and a few terrible ones. Or maybe the quality of Star Trek: SNW makes The Orville's flaws stand out, dunno. Anyway, I'm losing interest.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi. What a trainwreck. Ewan McGregor did what he could, but even he couldn't work wonders with the shit he was given. What were the writers thinking?
- The Boys (S3). That season had a fantastic start and then slowly pettered out. Shame. It was fun seeing Jensen Ackles though (who did a great job as Soldier Boy).

I slogged through AoT because each ep had like 10 minutes of actual new content. The first 5 minutes were reviews of previous eps, the last 5 minutes was something like a summation of just what happened. It was super slow as an anime. 

35 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I slogged through AoT because each ep had like 10 minutes of actual new content. The first 5 minutes were reviews of previous eps, the last 5 minutes was something like a summation of just what happened. It was super slow as an anime. 

Also what is up with Anime and over long opening and closing credit sequences. Feels like they go on for half an hour 

I watched Deliverance last night knowing very little about it except that it had a rape scene involving two men. Overall it's a really good film, leaving the viewers in a constant state of dread never feeling like the main characters are safe. Voight and Reynolds gave particularly strong performances. Idk how this movie was greenlit, but I'm glad it was.

I watched it in high school with my buddies. We'd do movie nights in my folks basement rec room, which they'd conveniently set up with a pool table and board games and, at the time, a colossal, garage sale 32" tube TV.  We watched 80s sophomoric romps - God bless Porky's et al - and horror movies, as do 15 year old boys. Anyway somehow we found out Deliverance was scary and we had our completely naive views of sexual violence, but had heard it had some crazy shit, and as brave teens we were obliged to watch it. 

Man, I don't think the four of us were ever as quiet on Friday movie night. That movie - completely ignoring the signature scene - was way more intense than, oh, Gremlins 2 or whatever the hell else we were on. 

I have not seen it since. I should, though, as truly intense psychological thrillers eventually have become a go-to, nowadays.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Man, I don't think the four of us were ever as quiet on Friday movie night. That movie - completely ignoring the signature scene - was way more intense than, oh, Gremlins 2 or whatever the hell else we were on. 

It's pretty shocking when the Brain Gremlin shoots another gremlin...

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's pretty shocking when the Brain Gremlin shoots another gremlin...

I bought a ticket for Gremlins 2 and saw it in the theater. Still one of my proudest moments. That thing is the right kind of bonkers for an '80's movie.

-

Re Watched, Watched, Watching:

Blade Runner 2049 and LA Confidential

Goddamn if those films don't get better every time I see them. Blade Runner 2049 is still best experienced in a theater IMO. If they ever re-release it, I'm there.

Solo: A SW Story

I go back to this once in a while. Not great but very good and very re-watchable IMO. I loved the whole Kessel run sequence, which was amazing on a big screen. I loved the droid uprising on Kessel. I even loved the sassy, super-divisive fem droid. Alden Ehrenreich gives a great performance as Han Solo.

My only real criticism is that I'd have preferred a score that was closer to the one in the trailers, which was a bit more eclectic that a straight up orchestral score and very different from the other SW films. That's minor because the films score is pretty good.

It's a bit messy but it's probably my second favorite Disney SW film after Rogue One. It's just a damn fun movie.

I also watched Kurosowa's Seven Samurai recently. I get the appeal. That thing would have blown people away back in the 1950's. The ending isn't as devastating as Ran but it was definitely bittersweet. Recommend. 

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I bought a ticket for Gremlins 2 and saw it in the theater. Still one of my proudest moments. That thing is the right kind of bonkers for an '80's movie.

I was barely walking when that came out. And yes, it's the right kind of dumb 80's fun (even if it came out in 1990).

I also watched Kurosowa's Seven Samurai recently. I get the appeal. That thing would have blown people away back in the 1950's. The ending isn't as devastating as Ran but it was definitely bittersweet. Recommend. 

I need to watch both of these in the next week.

It’s over. :bawl: What am I supposed to do with my life now? I know, Angel. Well, I’ve got to say this was the sweetest, most therapeutic piece of entertainment I could have spent the past month consuming. (but you know, don’t try this at home, don’t burn through 5 seasons of anything in 3 weeks. You can’t do that, it’s wrong!)

Well… I suppose I need a little break from the screen now. But I will soon be back for the Angel experience. And I hope to see Spike, bless his heart. 

Archived