Watched, Watched, Watching: It's not the plane, it's the pilot

Veltigar

25 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

It’s over. :bawl: What am I supposed to do with my life now? I know, Angel. Well, I’ve got to say this was the sweetest, most therapeutic piece of entertainment I could have spent the past month consuming. (but you know, don’t try this at home, don’t burn through 5 seasons of anything in 3 weeks. You can’t do that, it’s wrong!)

Well… I suppose I need a little break from the screen now. But I will soon be back for the Angel experience. And I hope to see Spike, bless his heart. 

Derry Girls or Ted Lasso if you haven't seen those yet. If you are looking for something sweet & therapeutic nothing probably beats Ted Lasso on that front.

8 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Derry Girls or Ted Lasso if you haven't seen those yet. If you are looking for something sweet & therapeutic nothing probably beats Ted Lasso on that front.

I watched Derry Girls twice. Incredible stuff. The new season is not out on Netflix yet though. I’m unsure about Ted Lasso, I might give it a go. 

57 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

It’s over. :bawl: What am I supposed to do with my life now? I know, Angel. Well, I’ve got to say this was the sweetest, most therapeutic piece of entertainment I could have spent the past month consuming. (but you know, don’t try this at home, don’t burn through 5 seasons of anything in 3 weeks. You can’t do that, it’s wrong!)

Well… I suppose I need a little break from the screen now. But I will soon be back for the Angel experience. And I hope to see Spike, bless his heart. 

Watching Angel now will at first be a bit of a strange experience as ypu'll be going back to the Buffy season 4 timeline. Season 1 of Angel and season 4 of Buffy ran in parallel and even had a few crossovers. Faith's storyline, for instance, started on Buffy and continued and got resolved on Angel. Then she comes back in season 4 of Angel and goes straight to season 7 of Buffy. 

In later seasons, the two shows feel a lot more separate, although there is a great episode in season 2 of Angel (episode 2x07) that is sort of a crossover with Fool for Love (Buffy 5x07) but only in terms of the flashbacks, which were even directed by the same person and probably shot together. Watching those two back to back and comparing flashbacks is a fun experience.

3 episodes into The Bear, and I'm enjoying it so far. I love cooking shows & this one being centered on a food joint is certainly part of the reason I enjoy it. Plus, it helps to have a fairly diverse cast. Still fairly early on into the series, but it's been decent so far.

Totally forgot that I also finished The Bear. Whoever recommended that here first, I say kudos to them. Great show. Talented cast with a lot of new faces, emotionally satisfying and oddly intellectually fascinating. Not only because it's apparently a very, very good representation of what its like to work in a joint like that, but from a change management perspective I find that it illustrates a lot of points and difficulties admirably well.

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Ted Lasso is basically like an American Paddington. 

Correction, like an American Paddington 2

Spoiler

haven't seen either of them, but everyone always says that Paddington 2 is amazing (it's even a plot point in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent) and so is Ted Lasso.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I watched Derry Girls twice. Incredible stuff. The new season is not out on Netflix yet though. I’m unsure about Ted Lasso, I might give it a go. 

If you are unsure about the subject matter, I would say wholeheartedly that the soccer/football does not spoil it one bit and I'm absolutely not a fan of the sport in any way shape or form.

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Abbot Elementary too.

Just now, Heartofice said:

Such a thing would be a disaster. Nothing is as good as Paddington 2.

I really need to see it then. But then I also need to see Paddington 1 :'( 

Just now, polishgenius said:

I mean, I think Ted Lasso is brilliant but it's not on that level. 

You see, this is the type of comment that makes me wonder whether you are all just trying to troll me :P

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I need to watch both of these in the next week.

That's a hell of a good strategy. I'd probably go for Seven Samurai first. Ease yourself into it. I think I'm going to try Hidden Fortress sometime soon. This is the Kurosowa film that has been acknowledged as having a heavy influence on Star Wars. Also Throne of Blood, because it has the most metal sounding movie title ever.  

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I think I'm going to try Hidden Fortress sometime soon.

It's very good.  However, this over the top hot weekend I'm going to re-watch Throne of Blood.  It's been a long time since I re-watched that one.

I'll join those giving acclaim to Kurosawa. I took a film class where one of his movies was shown (High and Low) and I was instantly won over.

Ran is my favorite, but Red Beard, Seven Samurai, High and Low, Yojombo and its sequel are all fantastic. I think the only movie I disliked of Kurosawa's was Dreams.

Don't limit yourself to Kurosawa's jidaigeki films, folks, you'll be missing out. Drunken AngelStray DogThe Bad Sleep Well (pairs well with Throne of Blood, as it's basically Hamlet), High and Low, and Dersu Uzala are all excellent...

And I didn't even mention Ikiru, which just melts even the coldest heart.

(But don't forget Red Beard, if you want to stick to historical period drama. Toshiro Mifune is so, so good.)

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've already gushed about Only Murders in the Building, but can I just state for the record that subbing in Selena Gomez as the third amino is just effing amazing...

This second season really delivers, with the cast providing stellar performances. Houdishell's Bunny is a delight.
The 5th episode strongly reminded me of Sherlock's The Sign of Three (by far the best imho).
I hope they land the finale.

Archived