Watched, Watched, Watching: It's not the plane, it's the pilot

Veltigar

I went and saw Nope the other day. I thought it was good. Better than Us, but not on the Get Out level. 

Spoiler

I liked the twist that the UFO turned out to be a living entity. I was not expecting that at all. But I also kinda wanted to see Peele’s take on a “normal” alien-type invasion too. 

I have to go look up what the shoe standing straight up was all about during the chimp attack. I was pretty high while watching and it confused the shit out of me. Still does.

I also finally watched Men. This was pretty good too. Jessie Buckley killed it as always. The ending sequence got a little nutty and I read some heated debates about it, but I didn’t mind its outrageousness. A bit heavy-handed maybe but effective. 

Also not surprised that this has a RT audience score of 39%(69% critics). It’s obviously not a movie for everyone, but I assume it’s the normal incel bs. So predictable.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I went and saw Nope the other day. I thought it was good. Better than Us, but not on the Get Out level. 

Hide contents

I liked the twist that the UFO turned out to be a living entity. I was not expecting that at all. But I also kinda wanted to see Peele’s take on a “normal” alien-type invasion too. 

I have to go look up what the shoe standing straight up was all about during the chimp attack. I was pretty high while watching and it confused the shit out of me. Still does.

Spoiler

I really have no clue at all what the whole chimp stuff was trying to convey and how it related to the main plot. The direct connection was Steven Yuen's character, who in the end wasn't that important.

As to what his take on a "normal" alien invasion would look like, just watch Key & Peele:P

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

I really have no clue at all what the whole chimp stuff was trying to convey and how it related to the main plot. The direct connection was Steven Yuen's character, who in the end wasn't that important.

As to what his take on a "normal" alien invasion would look like, just watch Key & Peele:P

Spoiler

It's all, both the UFO and the chimp, symbolism about how Hollywood will attack, chew you up and eat you.  That's it.  I enjoyed it and doesn't need to be any more than that.  People know this and willingly risk themselves for their Oprah moment of fame and money.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Hide contents

I was also waiting for something about the 

Spoiler

Shoe standing straight up during that scene. It was obviously intentional and it was the same shoe he later looks at in the museum of horror he has hidden away.

18 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

His Dark Materials, the series is a great improvement on the Golden compass film but not as great as, say, Stranger things. S1 nearly over. Complete Verdict after everything done. Keen is great though, better than Brown in ST i'd say 

The show is brilliant! Far better than the incredibly disappointing film. I have been thinking about it recently as I think that S3 must be approaching us soon? If it is still on iplayer then I may do a rewatch before S3. It wouldn't really have occurred to me to compare this to ST though. 

22 minutes ago, Isis said:

The show is brilliant! Far better than the incredibly disappointing film. I have been thinking about it recently as I think that S3 must be approaching us soon? If it is still on iplayer then I may do a rewatch before S3. It wouldn't really have occurred to me to compare this to ST though. 

I read the other day that definitely 2022 but nothing concrete other than that. The 2 leads are going to have aged a lot. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Will and Lyra in the books are like, well, Mike and Eleven. The series was different but not much. Same other worlds, monsters theme. Though no horror elements, fantasy. And I'm somewhere between the ages of the two respective female leads and I tend to notice things of similarity you senior citizens may overlook :D. Sorry, couldn't resist being cheeky. Just the overall demeanor of the past week. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I read the other day that definitely 2022 but nothing concrete other than that. The 2 leads are going to have aged a lot. 

Same issue faced by Stranger Things, which I feel won't be an issue at all if it's damn good. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Feel like I *thought* I saw stills of filming from S3. But that was a blip in between all of the LOTR:ROP stuff. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I will have a nose around for an update I think.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Will and Lyra in the books are like, well, Mike and Eleven. The series was different but not much. Same other worlds, monsters theme. Though no horror elements, fantasy. And I'm somewhere between the ages of the two respective female leads and I tend to notice things of similarity you senior citizens may overlook :D. Sorry, couldn't resist being cheeky. Just the overall demeanor of the past week. 

Same issue faced by Stranger Things, which I feel won't be an issue at all if it's damn good. 

Ah, right - if you are looking at the actors then I see some similarities. Personally I find HDM to be a much stronger story. But maybe because for an old biddy like me it is from ages ago. 

Got about halfway into episode 3 of Yellowjackets before I had to leave. I'm liking it so far, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I guess so far I'm really enjoying the scenes of them as teens in the woods, as it reminds me a bit of early days Lost, but I'm not yet feeling the contemporary parts of the episodes.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The BBC always seem to treat release dates as some sort of state secret until about a couple of weeks before a show gets released. I did see that Ruth Wilson had said in an interview that she thought it was coming out in November.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Will and Lyra in the books are like, well, Mike and Eleven. The series was different but not much. Same other worlds, monsters theme. Though no horror elements, fantasy.

I'm not sure I see Lyra and Eleven being all that similar as characters. Lyra is very gregarious and adventurous whereas Eleven would much prefer a quiet normal life if she could have such a thing.

7 hours ago, Isis said:

Feel like I *thought* I saw stills of filming from S3. But that was a blip in between all of the LOTR:ROP stuff. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I will have a nose around for an update I think.

There's some from a few months back. It was a pity that Covid meant they couldn't film the Asriel-focused season 2 episode so it's good that he'll be back in season 3.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Heartofice said:

Not too much of a shame really. Quite enjoyed the last season but the ending was so disgustingly cynical, designed to keep the series going even if it didn’t deserve to.. that it deserves to be put out of its misery.

What does that even mean? :blink:

It seems to me that, translated, it simply means "season 2 ends on a clifhanger, also I hate the show because reasons".

Its a shame because it’s moustache twirling feminist was a really brave bit of writing these days

She's what these days is colloquially called "RamFem" and widely hated (the infamous TERFs are an off-shoot). They're what MRA/anti-feminists think/want to pretend feminists are in general.

1 minute ago, Annara Snow said:

What does that even mean? :blink:

She's what these days is called "RamFem" and widely hated (the infamous TERFs are an off-shoot). They're what MRA/anti-feminists think/want to pretend feminists are in general.

It means the show basically reset itself and artificially created a reason for a third season when they could have just ended it there and then instead 

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It means the show basically reset itself and artificially created a reason for a third season when they could have just ended it there and then instead 

Or maybe that was the logical outcome of structuring the show around examination of gender roles and how they affect girls (season 1) and boys (season 2), with both groups getting mixed together and working together in season 3.

4 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Or maybe that was the logical outcome of structuring the show around examination of gender roles and how they affect girls (season 1) and boys (season 2), with both groups getting mixed together and working together in season 3.

Nah. It wasn’t. 

On the penultimate episode of Paper Girls and I have to say that this show has restored the belief that Amazon can make a really good original show if it puts its mind to it. It's stronger than the source material. Also good that after a slow start, the marketing suddenly picked up when Weird Al Yankovic started tweeting about it (both Paper Girls and Y: The Last Man have an episode called "Weird Al is Dead," for different reasons, and the two showrunners reached the title independently within a few days of one another, freaking out Brian K Vaughan).

Although Nate Corddry is getting typecast in shows where he has to age 20 years over the course of it. Except that the aging effects in Paper Girls are far, far better than they are in For All Mankind. It helps that I think his character's future scenes are close to his real age, so they had to de-age him to his mid 20s, which is probably easier than making him look older.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Got about halfway into episode 3 of Yellowjackets before I had to leave. I'm liking it so far, but I'm not entirely sold on it. I guess so far I'm really enjoying the scenes of them as teens in the woods, as it reminds me a bit of early days Lost, but I'm not yet feeling the contemporary parts of the episodes.

I felt a bit the same, although the contemporary casting is outrageously good but the story didn't really grab me. But the contemporary story really kicks in as it goes along.

Spoiler

Shit gets really way more fucked up in the present than was I was expecting.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

As one of the three, this made me so mad. I loved both seasons and it looked like season 3 would probably be the natural resolution.

We are finishing off S2 atm. I think we have one more ep left. It's 'ok', but I am finding it REALLY slow. I had the same issue with ST, where anything *emotional* is covered painfully slowly, with super long pauses between dialogue. The more they do this, the worse the acting seems (as you have more time to look at it) and the less I care about any of the actors. It's like they are trying so hard to make it serious and hard-hitting but it doesn't work for me at all. The 'plant' characters (and their actors) from both the girls and the boys are so unsympathetic too. It's about 85% cringe for me overall. 

36 minutes ago, Isis said:

We are finishing off S2 atm. I think we have one more ep left. It's 'ok', but I am finding it REALLY slow. I had the same issue with ST, where anything *emotional* is covered painfully slowly, with super long pauses between dialogue. The more they do this, the worse the acting seems (as you have more time to look at it) and the less I care about any of the actors. It's like they are trying so hard to make it serious and hard-hitting but it doesn't work for me at all. The 'plant' characters (and their actors) from both the girls and the boys are so unsympathetic too. It's about 85% cringe for me overall. 

Why would you ever think that the boy plant (the second one) was ever meant to be sympathetic? (the first one is very minor as a character anyway)

I'd suspect Autumn/Winter for Season 3 of HDM. I feel like I went on a deep dive recently to check on the filming progress. I seem to recall that we might get some scenes from La Belle Sauvage but perhaps I've mixed that up or conflated with something else.

Also no signs of the final Book of Dust, disappointingly

Archived