US Politics: What will the InJustice League do next?

IheartIheartTesla

Just like there are theories Trump decided to run after Obama humiliated him at the Correspondent's Dinner, I feel like Thomas has been biding his time for revenge ever since his conformation hearings.

On a more local note, we had a rally on reproductive rights here in our (somewhat conservative) town that was well attended. It even got my politically apathetic late teen daughter out on the streets. All of us signed the ballot petition for reproductive rights, so hopefully Michigan can vote to codify abortion rights, and it appears at first glance that it should have enough support. But who knows.....

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

These motherfuckers are trying to get us all killed. 

Every member of the Federalist Society needs to be disbarred and banned from every form of public service. 

I'm terrible at reading legalese so not even trying in the middle of my night, but my understanding was that this result would be on a scale of "guts the EPA's ability to fight climate change" to "destroys the basis of federal departments" - where does this actual decision fall on that? The SCOTUSblog tweet sounds like it was restricted to the EPA?

Restricted to the EPA for now, I suspect. I've yet to find a really good analysis, but I'm sure many are working on them.

I'm quite angry right now, so I'm going to enjoy my morning coffee and stare at the wildflowers in my backyard. 

jesusfuckingchrist 

I can't wait for the barrage of emails I'm about to get from every Democrat past, present, and future on how they need my money RIGHT NOW so that they can continue to do absolutely fucking nothing.

To answer the thread title:

That sounds like an unqualified disaster.  How could the state legislatures possibly have the power to overrule the courts on what is unconstitutional? 

22 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I'm terrible at reading legalese so not even trying in the middle of my night, but my understanding was that this result would be on a scale of "guts the EPA's ability to fight climate change" to "destroys the basis of federal departments" - where does this actual decision fall on that?

I just woke up, but sounds closer to the latter:

“For a century, the federal government has functioned on the assumption that Congress can broadly delegate regulatory power to executive branch agencies. Today’s ruling opens the door to endless challenges to those delegations – on everything from climate change to food safety standards – on the ground that Congress wasn’t specific enough in giving the agency the power to regulate such ‘major’ issues,” Vladeck said.

Thought this was a good framing of the epa ruling. Basically scotus has now given itself power to undermine any decision by any agency based on criteria that is not defined and is subject to their discretion. 

It is not a pure dismantling - it is worse. It means that they can choose what things to dismantle and what to not. It is both precisely what I thought they would do earlier and the worst possible outcome for any kind of agency usage.

Well fuck. Thanks DMC and Kal.

52 minutes ago, Durckad said:

I can't wait for the barrage of emails I'm about to get from every Democrat past, present, and future on how they need my money RIGHT NOW so that they can continue to do absolutely fucking nothing.

I feel like the decision to keep trying to fundraise off this shit is going to backfire. Yes it's probably going to get money out of people that are going to vote for them anyway, but the purpose of that money is to use it to get other votes and I'm seeing a lot of people getting very angry at seeing nothing from the Dems but requests for further payments that never yield a dividend. It's just become too predictable response when (whether fair or not) the people who need to be convinced to turn out and vote perceive it as the only thing they do.

After reading the link from DMC and seeing some other comments - this stuff about returning the power to the legislature is pure bullshit right? Congress could already overrule anything these agencies did by passing legislation to explicitly cover the item in question?

Just now, karaddin said:

After reading the link from DMC and seeing some other comments - this stuff about returning the power to the legislature is pure bullshit right? Congress could already overrule anything these agencies did by passing legislation to explicitly cover the item in question?

In theory, assuming that the court didn't just declare that unconstitutional and make the law null and void.

In practice it means laws for every small thing with all the requirements laws have to pass and wait.

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just like there are theories Trump decided to run after Obama humiliated him at the Correspondent's Dinner, I feel like Thomas has been biding his time for revenge ever since his conformation hearings.

Funny you should mention this, 

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas told his law clerks he intended to serve on the highest court of the land to make the lives of liberals "miserable," according to a 1993 report from The New York Times. 

The link goes to Business Insider which links to the NYT and a paywall.  

Yeah, revenge.

1 minute ago, KalVsWade said:

In theory, assuming that the court didn't just declare that unconstitutional and make the law null and void.

In practice it means laws for every small thing with all the requirements laws have to pass and wait.

I'm going to assume that widespread water and other environmental pollution is back on the menu, along with probably cutting food safety standards and a bunch of other things that save lives every day?

I'm done my coffee. And seething. 

This is a good thread for all the other things too:

I don't know how the US comes back from this. 

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I'm going to assume that widespread water and other environmental pollution is back on the menu, along with probably cutting food safety standards and a bunch of other things that save lives every day?

Yes.

edit: Enhanced recovery [oil] projects flaring or just releasing methane with no cap, yadda yadda. Hard to imagine the international community won't come down hard on this. Could affect trade, hard to say how significantly though

Archived