US Politics: What will the InJustice League do next?

IheartIheartTesla

Ran, how are things going to swing back? Dems are about to get swept out of the Senate and house in a few months. Two years after that they'll be swept out of the WhiteHouse. 

How do things swing back???

You may or may not have noticed, but there is no plan to save Roe. There is no plan to stop the next coup, or even to act after the most recent one. There is no plan to forestall climate catastrophe. There is no plan to protect voting rights or to stop the incessant massacring of innocents by madmen or to help the economically wretched.

THERE IS NO PLAN there's no roadmap for getting to 'this too has passed' except that you think it's some kind of litany against subjugation. The only response by the only people legally empowered to do something about these crises is to hold out their cup for more of our money and then read a fucking poem.

Should’ve been more clear, I’ve had a few bourbon drinks.  Hate who you want  to hate, just don’t let it affect your mental well-being.  Fight where you can, as long as it doesn’t cause you undue stress or depression.  I’ve struggled with that myself; quite debilitating.

1 hour ago, King Ned Stark said:

I agree.  But what can you do (vote, protest, donate aside) except try to be happy with who and what you have.  People, by and large, in my bitter and cynical opinion; are selfish and greedy, and pretty terrible when it comes to concern for their fellow person.  

No. Not exactly. I can accept, if it comes to it, being happy with what I have, but I'll be damned if I ever think that's good enough for my children.  That's supposed to worth fighting for.

54 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Some actual good news?

100% think it's under reported because the rest was diverted for private use.  Trust no one.

17 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Obviously the solution is to marry a total babe in Sweden and emigrate to there 

Could work. If my current wife is okay with a little extra excitement... :leer:

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No. Not exactly. I can accept, if it comes to it, being happy with what I have, but I'll be damned if I ever think that's good enough for my children.  That's supposed to worth fighting for.

100% think it's under reported because the rest was diverted for private use.  Trust no one.

Could work. If my current wife is okay with a little extra excitement... :leer:

fair enough.  I have children too; five of them.  That’s a great point, though.  Looking back, I think that’s what got me twisted up, “fighting the world”.  For my kids.  In my lone experience, the harder you fight the world, it will fight back even harder.  Sounds cowardly, I know, but a person can only take so much.  Fight softly, in the shadows, keep a reserve.  Fight the good fight, just don’t ruin yourself doing it.  Not great wisdom, I know.  I’ve never met a single person on this website, but I don’t think you guys should feel so badly.  The world sucks, IMHO, always has, and always will.  We have a short time on it, just don’t let whoever is in charge wreck your life.   Again, not great wisdom, just take care of yourself first; there will always be a battle to fight.

Sorta, the two shops I stopped at were waiting for inventory, but today still makes me smile. Especially because I got away with years of modern day bootlegging. Now things are closer to what they should be. :cheers: :pimp:

7 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

I could be wrong, normally am, but I believe that things will swing back closer to what you want.  And if not, just be a good person (I’m sure you are).  Don’t let the dealings of those in power ruin how you feel.

From your board name I assume you are male, right? The thing is, just the overturning of Roe is going to have a huge impact on women that you will probably not even notice, not unless your wife or your sister or a woman friend gets pregnant and dies because she should have had a life-saving abortion. The US already has more than double the number of maternal deaths that France and Canada have, the next two developed countries with bad numbers. The US had 10x, ten times, the number of maternal deaths that New Zealand has.

“This too shall pass” is only going to work for a select group of people, everyone else is going suffer. And I don’t actually think the pendulum is going to swing back. 

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

6 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Possible, but I thought money attracts money. So him under reporting it, diminishes the value of his brand (among the GOP). And existing donors will presumably also think twice about putting money into a failing project. So even factoring in the underreporting and casual misuse of those funds (what was it,  40.000 US $ for a 3 minute speech for Donk junior's girlfriend?), reporting a mere 20k in May... Fair to assume his market value is dropping even among Republicans. So the January 6th hearings might have an effect afterall, or he just tanked his value by endorsing a bunch of high profile losers in the primaries (either that, or the cost of living crisis is also affecting his base..).  

Anyway, I suspect they put their money into let's say, less dubious GOP PACs. So that would be interesting to see how their fundraising developed over the past month. And I'd rather have him leeching off funds from the Republicans, than them being able to put that money to work. That also goes back to Scot'S question, whether it's good news. All a matter of perspective.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

From your board name I assume you are male, right? The thing is, just the overturning of Roe is going to have a huge impact on women that you will probably not even notice, not unless your wife or your sister or a woman friend gets pregnant and dies because she should have had a life-saving abortion. The US already has more than double the number of maternal deaths that France and Canada have, the next two developed countries with bad numbers. The US had 10x, ten times, the number of maternal deaths that New Zealand has.

“This too shall pass” is only going to work for a select group of people, everyone else is going suffer. And I don’t actually think the pendulum is going to swing back. 

I apologize if I came across as insensitive, was not my intention.  People misunderstand me face to face, so texting or posting on this board is problematic; conveying tone and all that.  So I’m sorry for that.

As to abortion, I’m registered as republican (doesn’t mean much to me, it’s just a term to put me in a group).  But I do have conservative values, like I posted last night, I was kind of an old dad even back in my teenage years.  But take heart from this if you will, though it may not help much or matter in the grand scheme of things; Republicans, by and large, are not against abortion as much as democrats think (I don’t believe).  Like you deduced, I’m a male, and a Christian with conservative beliefs, but I’m not wholesale against abortion.  Pro-choice people always only bring up the extreme circumstances; rape, incest, threat to the mother’s life.  I would never be against that.  I’m probably wrong, but we live and learn through our own personal experiences.  My oldest daughter was born 3 weeks after I graduated high school.  It was tough, but she got an academic scholarship and just graduated college this past year; and she is very liberal, you guys would love her.  She vexes me greatly sometimes.  I’ve rambled on, point being is if there is any concern then abortion is the best option, IMO.  I just don’t like the idea of having an abortion, as traumatic as it is (it has to be worse than I can imagine), because “you’re not ready”, or a child would be an inconvenience.  I’m probably wrong.

Anyway, you’ve always seemed like a kind and thoughtful person from what you’ve posted over the years, so I wanted to reply; hungover as I am.  Sorry for rambling on.

Apropos of nothing, do I use semicolons too much?  And probably inappropriately, but I like semicolons for some reason.

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

(what was it,  40.000 US $ for a 3 minute speech for Donk junior's girlfriend?)

whispers: 60k

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So him under reporting it, diminishes the value of his brand (among the GOP). And existing donors will presumably also think twice about putting money into a failing project.

Yeah if he has any interest in running again there's no way he'd want to report such a low number.  And even if he's not, this is Trump we're talking about, whose ego is directly tied to exaggerating how much money he has and can make.

Arizona... please do not elect any of those people. If it comes down to it, I'm sure there's a stray dog or feral cat that would be quite happy to live in your governor's mansion.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:09 PM, DMC said:

Yes, again, the lower courts seem to clearly be the target. 

Further, as the quote in my last post mentioned, it makes sense that even the Alito/Thomas/Gorsuch bloc would not want to create a brightline rule so as to retain their own ability to arbitrate when they want to.  This conforms to the power grab this morning in the EPA case.  In general, I think a good guideline for anticipating how this court (and especially the Alito bloc) rules is how much power they themselves will retain (at least when that's relevant, of course).

This is a savvy take. 

The goal of the GOP is, and has been quite openly for a while, to install a system like Putin's Russia or Orban's Hungary. Elections will be fixed. I'm curious how you get the pendulum swinging back in Russia, short of a revolution.

And even if it did 'swing back', we know the climate change clock is ticking rather loudly.

Interesting answer to "what can men do" after overturning Roe - Under Obamacare, birth control pills are free. Why aren’t vasectomies?:

Despite the sudden interest in the term, chances are it won’t lead to a wave of vasectomies. According to 2019 CDC data, women undergo tubal ligation, the female sterilization method colloquially known as getting one’s tubes tied, at more than three times the rate that men get vasectomies, which involves minor surgery to prevent sperm from moving out of the testes.

The sterilization gap persists in the face of the clear medical facts that vasectomies are slightly safer, less invasive, and four times as cost-effective as tubal ligation. (Vasectomies are also the most cost-effective contraceptive over time.)

Much of the sterilization gap can be explained by the simple fact that the burden to prevent pregnancy in the US — like the burden of managing childbirth and reproduction more generally — disproportionately falls on people who can become pregnant.

1 hour ago, JGP said:

This kind of stupid would be laughable, but proximity to power makes stupid harmful. 

Listen to this shit:

At the end the moderator had a definite "Fuck this!" look on his face.  Yikes!

Merrick Garland was his pupil. He is claiming it appears Merrick will indict the crime boss Trump.

Law professor who taught Merrick Garland predicts he will indict Trump

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/07/02/merrick-garland-trump-possible-indictment-ac360-vpx.cnn

There has been an insurrection against my country Mr Attorney General, will you please do your damn job?

Archived