Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Leeds need some players

Feels like this is a good get for City, and relatively cheap. Surprised others of the big clubs didn’t go harder. 

For Everton, there has been a lot of speculation of transfer of power away from Moshiri (and Kenwright), but it seems first attempt is dead.

Hearing stories about other interested parties, and I remain sceptical until something happens. And should something happen, I hope ferverently it doesn't involve despots and human rights abusers looking to spend ill-gotten gains somewhere they can burnish an image.

Slightly surprised by Salah extension. Mainly because back end of last season Klopp was playing him wider and wider so that he could get more creativity in the middle with Trent. But Salah clearly is less of a threat the more he’s running out wide rather than into the box. 

Im assuming next year there will be a tactical shift to utilise Salahs finishing more, not sure how Nunez fits into that, but generally I was thinking Liverpool were evolving away from Salah and towards a slightly different way of playing 

16 hours ago, ants said:

Feels like this is a good get for City, and relatively cheap. Surprised others of the big clubs didn’t go harder. 

Apparently  he turned down a couple of other clubs

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

Chelsea confuse me

If they're looking to get in Sterling and Raphinha it's probably not too surprising they're looking to ship out some of their current crop of wide forwards.:dunno:

19 hours ago, ants said:

I don't know. He's a decent player but he was pretty injury plagued last year. On top of that United are after De Jong, Liverpool seem to be focused on getting Bellingham next year and Spurs just got Bissouma. Chelsea seem okay with their current crop of midfielders so I think it's only really Arsenal left who might have gone for him.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know. He's a decent player but he was pretty injury plagued last year. On top of that United are after De Jong, Liverpool seem to be focused on getting Bellingham next year and Spurs just got Bissouma. Chelsea seem okay with their current crop of midfielders so I think it's only really Arsenal left who might have gone for him.

Chelsea got Gallagher returning from his loan spell at Palace. Their midfield needs some overhaul, too. Their defense is atm their biggest problem by far. So centrebacks take priority over pretty much any other position. Next big problem lacking CF.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Chelsea got Gallagher returning from his loan spell at Palace. Their midfield needs some overhaul, too. Their defense is atm their biggest problem by far. So centrebacks take priority over pretty much any other position. Next big problem lacking CF.

This is why I was surprised that their initial focus was Sterling.  They need at least one CB, they need a central prolific finisher because neither Werner nor Lukaku delivered that, and I thought I read somewhere that they need a MF as Kante and Jorginho age out (has Kante become injury prone?).

De Ligt may be signed soon.  Perhaps they expect Sterling to suddenly become a more reliable finisher.  And maybe they feel good about Kante and Jorginho for another season.

30 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This is why I was surprised that their initial focus was Sterling.  They need at least one CB, they need a central prolific finisher because neither Werner nor Lukaku delivered that, and I thought I read somewhere that they need a MF as Kante and Jorginho age out (has Kante become injury prone?).

De Ligt may be signed soon.  Perhaps they expect Sterling to suddenly become a more reliable finisher.  And maybe they feel good about Kante and Jorginho for another season.

Sterling did surprise me too, like I said no idea what Tuchel's endgame is there. Two CBs, they need two.

I will take guess on what Tuchel might want to do with Sterling. I thinnk he wants to use him in a more central role, as a deep lying forward, and not as a winger. Havertz + new CF will be in the advanced forward position.

As things stand Jorginho will be phased out by Gallaghher, not a like for like replacement, obviously.  There's no proper replacement for Kante. Having that said, I can believe in a plan that involves selling Gallagher to raise funds for another midfielde, who is a better fit for the football they play. Also keep in mind, that CA issupposed to leave for Barca this window, so this will most likely not be the final squad and Tuchel might tinker with (a) different formation(s) next season. 

4-3-3 might be one scenario he is contemplating with Sterling (LW) and Rapinha (RW) surrounding Havertz, with Gallagher (or RLC) and Mount being the CMs and Kante on the 6. Another one is a 4-4-2 in some shape or form with Havertz being the most advanced forward and Sterling and Werner asthe second deeper forward. Odoi is in either scenario a back up to Rapinha. But you can slot in Pulisic on the left there.

Archived