Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

Unlikely. New regime asked Tuchel, whether he wanted to give Lukaku another season to salvage his Chelsea career (Cech's preferred scenario). Tuchel said no. And Lukaku and Cech are right now no longer at the club (Lukaku might very well return). In line with this, it sounds unlikely they would bring in a marque signing without consulting with Tuchel first. So I'd assume he is 100% on board with this.

39 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

wonder where Ronaldo ends up and how United will replace his goal output

We were scoring more goals before Ronaldo joined. We would need to sign two forwards if he leaves though which won't be easy. I'm fine with him leaving. He's 37 and declining, we cannot build around him and we really need to start getting our wage bill under some sort of control. Ronaldo moving on takes a huge chunk off the wage bill. The big concern for me now is that if nobody wants to take on his wages, he's going to be disgruntled and might end up poisoning the dressing room.

16 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Unlikely. New regime asked Tuchel, whether he wanted to give Lukaku another season to salvage his Chelsea career (Cech's preferred scenario). Tuchel said no. And Lukaku and Cech are right now no longer at the club (Lukaku might very well return). In line with this, it sounds unlikely they would bring in a marque signing without consulting with Tuchel first. So I'd assume he is 100% on board with this.

Not saying he isn’t on board, more that these decisions are almost never purely managerial but part of a wider strategy. Sterling’s name and fake will have played a part in him being signed. He also happens to be a good player.

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Who was scoring those goals before Ronaldo joined though? Rashford, Martial? Greenwood? Gonna be interesting to see who replaces Ronaldo if he’s moved on. 

I'm not gonna look up who scored how many goals but last season was our lowest goals tally since 2016/2017. It appears that all those people who predicted that Ronaldo would score goals but make the team worse were right. I recall Juve fans having the same complaint.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

We were scoring more goals before Ronaldo joined. We would need to sign two forwards if he leaves though which won't be easy. I'm fine with him leaving. He's 37 and declining, we cannot build around him and we really need to start getting our wage bill under some sort of control. Ronaldo moving on takes a huge chunk off the wage bill. The big concern for me now is that if nobody wants to take on his wages, he's going to be disgruntled and might end up poisoning the dressing room.

United’s wage bill has already improved enormously as Lingard, Mata, Matic, Cavani and Pogba all departed, even if they didn’t bring any transfer fees as they left.  That’s a pretty crazy amount of wages right there, and dwarfs the owner dividends that have been criticized so much.

The pre-Ronaldo goals were, aside from Bruno, mostly from Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, who all experienced a large increase in productivity under Solksjaer (Greenwood just from natural development and playing time), but all three have declined badly over the past year in different ways and it wasn’t all Ronaldo’s fault — even if I’m one of the legion who predicted that his personal success would make the team weaker.

It’s really hard to predict how they’ll develop from here because so many components were underperforming we cannot know how quickly an improvement overall may arrive as one or other component is fixed.  Arguably a great DM would give the entire team a more solid foundation and allow them to play similar to Spurs with some success.  But that’s probably not enough by itself.

Salah’s contract renewal confirms the prediction by The Athletic several months ago as they forecast how Liverpool would handle the three forwards all entering their final contract year, which I think I shared in one of these threads.

They (was it James Pearce?) predicted that Firmino would stay to the end of his current contract because he has very low market value and could be trusted to retain a good attitude in a back-up role, but Mane would be sold because of his higher market value and less reliable form, while Salah would be renewed for his higher productivity and a bet that his professionalism will prolong his fitness.

Considering how much inaccurate clickbait we see, the journalist deserves some credit this time.

Like I said, if Ronaldo leaves we'd need to sign a couple of forwards which won't be easy. But Ronaldo has one year left on his contract so we would have had to replace him next season anyway so we might as well pull the band-aid now and get his wages off the books at least. Now that he's signalled his intent to leave, it would be a very bad idea to block a move imo - given Ronaldo's influence and ego, he could end up making things even more difficult for the new manager.

Re: Ronaldo leaving. I'm a lot less optimistic about the likes of Rashford and Martial taking over. Firstly because it looks like they've lost their game, secondly because they aren't half the player Ronaldo is. 

So we are fucked if we have to sign a CF now. We needed to sign forwards anyway, but it's not going to be easy to find some good finisher now that Nunez has sailed. 

You could still save Danjuma from ending up at West Ham.

I mean, you could find decent forwards (maybe a trade with Chelsea for Lukaku :leaving:), silly money on Kane is probably not an option if that de Jong deals ever materializes.

Well, it's not a given that Ronaldo will even find another club willing to take on his wages. Apparently Mendes had already met with Chelsea and Bayern some weeks ago and both clubs declined. Maybe one of them will change their minds if Ronaldo is prepared to take a significant wage cut or PSG could come to the rescue for the hype of having Ronaldo and Messi on the same team.

Well, I don't think Kane is stupid enough to leave Spurs for United in this very moment. 1-2 seasons, if ETH is still in the job then, maybe. But he wanted to leave for City to win stuff, United is not really providing that opportunity. 

49 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Well, it's not a given that Ronaldo will even find another club willing to take on his wages. Apparently Mendes had already met with Chelsea and Bayern some weeks ago and both clubs declined. Maybe one of them will change their minds if Ronaldo is prepared to take a significant wage cut or PSG could come to the rescue for the hype of having Ronaldo and Messi on the same team.

My dream scenario would be Ronaldo alongside Messi, Neymar and Mbappé all together at PSG. It would provide a few moments of beautiful, unmatched football aligned with a 100% guarantee of elimination in the CL round of 16.

Archived