Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

There aren’t many surefire forwards available at the moment.  Liverpool breaking their transfer record for a gamble on Darwin Nunez is pretty good evidence of that.  Similarly the prices for Sterling and Jesus with only one year on their contracts.

Just a year ago United had three young, pacy forwards who looked set to be their future, and added Sancho for assists plus Ronaldo and Cavani to help bridge the development of the younger players.  It’s pretty incredible how quickly that fell apart.  It’s very possible that Sancho will rediscover his Dortmund form rather than become another Mkhitaryan, but the other three look down and out.

42 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Just a year ago United had three young, pacy forwards who looked set to be their future, and added Sancho for assists plus Ronaldo and Cavani to help bridge the development of the younger players.  It’s pretty incredible how quickly that fell apart.  It’s very possible that Sancho will rediscover his Dortmund form rather than become another Mkhitaryan, but the other three look down and out.

Three?

Rashford and Greenwood I get, but who is the third?

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Three?

Rashford and Greenwood I get, but who is the third?

Martial.  He lost his place in the team to Cavani and then Ronaldo.  Then he went on loan to Sevilla in January and accomplished very little.

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Martial.  He lost his place in the team to Cavani and then Ronaldo.  Then he went on loan to Sevilla in January and accomplished very little.

Ok, hadn't Martial marked down as a young and pacey forwardRashford ok, I still would've let him pass as a relatively young forward last season, but he is also 24 now. Mid-twenties is sorta cut off for me, when it comes to calling a player young  (at least wrt outfield players).

This was AMAZING. 

For the younger generation of fans imagine radio silence, nothing from Fabrizio, Ornstein or any of these ITKs. Arteta arranges a press conference. Charles Watts speculates it’ll be about their upcoming US tour and maybe some transfer questions and then in walks Arteta, Edu and Harry Kane. The internet would explode

In more recent and amusing news (if you don't support United).

Laporta came out to say, they do not wish to sell de Jong afterall. The player wants to stay, we want him to stay, so he will fight to make sure he stays.

Looks like ETH will get to enjoy the full United experience afterall. This forum so much needs a popcorn smiley.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In more recent and amusing news (if you don't support United).

Laporta came out to say, they do not wish to sell de Jong afterall. The player wants to stay, we want him to stay, so he will fight to make sure he stays.

Looks like ETH will get to enjoy the full United experience afterall. This forum so much needs a popcorn smiley.

I thought Laporta’s comments also mentioned that FDJ would need some adjustment to his wages to stay, which could be Laporta’s way of applying pressure on the player or setting him up as the bad guy if the transfer goes ahead.

I think we’d all like to see United go through another Fellaini outcome but I’m not sure how sincere Laporta is being.

Well, they sold their broadcasting rights the other day, so that took off some financial pressure short term (the reason they considered selling FDJ in the first place). If Laporta's did it to up the pressure it's more likely to squeeze some more cash out of United. But for my personal amusement, I hope FDJ stays, and United will have to switch into panicky plan B mode.

16 hours ago, mormont said:

So did CRonaldo only just notice that Manchester United won't be in the Champions' League next year?

No. Matt Law and Florian Plettenberg reported several weeks ago that Mendes held talks with Chelsea's and Bayern's bosses so Ronaldo has been looking for a way out for a while. He's also requested leave from training (players who took part in the Nations League were to report to training today). So I think it's pretty clear that Ronaldo has amped up his push to leave over the past few days in order to force a move. United have no choice but to take whatever offer we get imo or risk dealing with a disgruntled Ronaldo.

Archived