Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

22 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Much better move than extending with Brentford.

debatable. he's joining a floundering giant where he may not even start. man united are going to be lucky to finish in the top 6. city, spurs, arsenal and liverpool have all improved their squads. 

10 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Obviously United are the better team, but does he get into the first XI?

Not unless Ten Hag is planning to play Bruno from the right and even that assumes he's as down on Van de Beek as I am.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Obviously United are the better team, but does he get into the first XI?

No idea. I suppose it depends on how EtH plans to use de Jong (if we ever get that one over the line). If he plays de Jong as a 6, he might play two number 8s ahead of him. That would appear to leave us light defensively even though all of Bruno, Eriksen and VdB are hard working players who press well. So it's gonna be interesting to see how he plans on setting up the midfield.

1 minute ago, MercenaryChef said:

debatable. he's joining a floundering giant where he may not even start. man united are going to be lucky to finish in the top 6. city, spurs, arsenal and liverpool have all improved their squads. 

It's not debatable at all. Moving to United is a much better move for Eriksen than extending with Brentford. Playing in Europe (even if it's the EL) and challenging for European places is far better than battling relegation. United's squad is also good enough for a top 6 finish - it would take a major underperformance to finish below 6th and even that is not a given as last season proved where United still finished 6th despite having their worst season in the PL era.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Not unless Ten Hag is planning to play Bruno from the right and even that assumes he's as down on Van de Beek as I am.

It would be more likely for Eriksen to play as a right midfielder in a 4-2-3-1. He played that position at Spurs with Alli at #10.

I wonder if the Ajax connection is playing a role here.

It's a good move for Eriksen, he'll likely get a starting spot at a team competing for top 4 rather than one battling relegation.

I'm just glad he didn't go to Arsenal; it must have been an appealing option since it would have allowed him to stay in London.

I don't see Bayern coughing up the kinda money needed to sign de Ligt. Unless Lewandowski does indeed leave for Barca.  Otherwise I doubt they have the money right now (Covid). Ok, they could also sell of a few more club shares I think.

Just now, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but he has not exactly been pulling up trees at Bayern. So I don't think there's a super long list of suitors.

Atleti, Juve and Chelsea, apparently.

Also, I doubt Bayern would absolutely have to sell first. Yeah, they've suffered covid losses as most clubs did but they are still among the wealthiest football clubs (this is a club that generates more revenue than United). If De Ligt is seen as a priority, I'm sure they'll find a way.

21 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Atleti, Juve and Chelsea, apparently.

Also, I doubt Bayern would absolutely have to sell first. Yeah, they've suffered covid losses as most clubs did but they are still among the wealthiest football clubs (this is a club that generates more revenue than United). If De Ligt is seen as a priority, I'm sure they'll find a way.

They brought in Mane already.  I don't see them having a net spent 100m € window.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They brought in Mane already.  I don't see them having a net spent 100m € window.

Lewandowski will be sold; it's only a matter of time. Pavard perhaps as well even if not for a big fee. I'm sure a club that is in the top 3 of the wealthiest football clubs in the world could afford €60-80m for De Ligt if they really wanted to.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Prison FC look like they're about to make another signing.

'Internationally renowned' Premier League player arrested today in Barnet on suspicion of rape. Could be one of ours....

This forum is public enough that it's probably not a good idea to name names before it's out there, but a specific player of yours is the one being highlighted as being in the age bracket, living in the area, and not having holiday photos on instagram today. 

Archived