Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

42 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

It's only preseason but Jesus has made a good start for Arsenal. Bagged himself a hattrick against Nürnberg.

That brings back memories of Andriy Voronin.  There’s a special category of pre-season superstars.

I’m sure Jesus will be more than that.

Manchester United are reportedly in talks with an RB Leipzig striker. Oh great, Christopher Nkunku would be fucking fantastic, you say? Nah, it's Brian Brobbey, who barely made an impact at Leipzig and spent most of his time at... well, at Ajax.

He's only 20 so he's probably still developing and may well turn out to be a worthwhile buy if we do get him, but come on with this. I know Ten Hag wants to get people he trusts in but there are other players! Do some scouting!

Nkunku is ungettable this window. Leipzig maintained before the window even opened that he was not for sale at any price and he's since renewed his contract with them.

I agree though that Ten Hag needs to broaden his horizons a bit. The worst example is Antony. I don't really get the fascination with him - he's decent enough but grossly overpriced. Makes no sense even bothering with him when you could get the much better player in Moussa Diaby for a lower fee.

I am not sure Diaby is a much better player. Antony can be an absolute beast, when he is on top of his game. Just check out how he ran circles around Dortmund. Ok, Dortmund were not great last year, but it was still impressive.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That brings back memories of Andriy Voronin.  There’s a special category of pre-season superstars.

I’m sure Jesus will be more than that.

Ah, Andriy Voronin!

Now there was a gem. Free transfer, IIRC?

Good player, if he manages to stay fit. And that's a big if, he is 23(?) and his injury file is quite impressive. So last season in particular he struggled with injuries, and then related to it form. That cost him his starting job at Dortmund, and ultimately has lead them to not offer a new contract.

I have high hopes for Patino this season, should get decent amount of game time in the Europa. He had a good cameo yesterday & looks physically so much better than when he got his debut.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:35 PM, Spockydog said:

I'm not sure what to believe. It seems a very specific list (monthly BMI checks, airing of grievances).

I wish it was a real list because it'd be hilarious to see the silliness it'd result in.

But I expect it is made-up nonsense cause not a single person involved in modern sport science would look at BMI. A thoroughly pointless and discredited metric other than, perhaps, for diagnosing extremes in gen pop.

Archived