Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Imminent? I think he might be in for a surprise then. Bayern are still waiting on this rumored 40m bid for Lewandowski. It looks like Barca's mouth's writing cheques their ass can't cash (for obvious reasons).

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Rooney set to be appointed as new manager of DC United.

I always was frustrated with Rooney as a player, he was out of shape and never lived up to his promise he showed when he was 18 (and kept getting caught fucking grannies). But I think his stint at Derby showed 2 things - he is a decent manager and a decent human being. 

Okay, England look fantastic. I thought this was going to a real banana skin with Norway’s forward line but England’s pressing has been so good that Norway just haven’t been able to get them into the game.

ETA: Jesus.

So it seems Sjögren still organizes defenses worse than Roberto Martinez.

He's been doing good, based on a good attack. But setting up a defense that plays like this ...

Nah. He's gotta go. Screwed up completely last Euros, and this was so embarrsingly bad he should resign himself rather than let someone fire him. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I always was frustrated with Rooney as a player, he was out of shape and never lived up to his promise he showed when he was 18 (and kept getting caught fucking grannies). But I think his stint at Derby showed 2 things - he is a decent manager and a decent human being. 

I completely agree.  His time at Derby was a revelation to me and changed my perspective on Rooney entirely.

I don't envy him having to live in the Beltway area, but I wish him success in this new role.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I always was frustrated with Rooney as a player, he was out of shape and never lived up to his promise he showed when he was 18 (and kept getting caught fucking grannies). 

Rooney is the best player in my memory who was still disappointing. Like he was still brilliant for like 10-12 years but in the early days he looked Ronaldo and Messi good. I've still never seen anyone as gifted as him for just sheer movement and vision. 

Still maintain that a lot of his problem was being used (and probably thinking it himself) as a no9 when he should have been a hypercharged KDB or uncouth Ronaldinho. 

Meanwhile Brentford are trying to strengthen their squad with Bundesliga targets.

They tried their luck with Freiburg's Kevin Schade. Schade is a gifted 20 y.o. offensive player, who is blessed with very good speed. They offered 15m € which Freiburg rejected out of hand. They feel the player should stay with them a bit longer, as it would help his development and his pace is something their other attacking options sorta lack. Schade himself dreams about playing for a top side in the EPL. So for him making a move to Brentford and take the next steps there was/is an option, but he is also fine with staying at Freiburg and develop there in a more shielded enviroment. Freiburg might be convinced to sell, if they receive an offer that's too good to refuse, but as things stand, Schade is staying put.

Next target is apparently Omar Marmoush. 23 y.o. Egyptian Internationa.l Proper baller, but inconsistent with his performances. Can either play CF or winger. Not the complete product yet, but has shown what he can do during his loan spells during the past two seasons. He is entering the final year of his contract, so he should be available for relatively little money. If they can get him for 5m € it would be a real bargain. Mamoush is interested in the transfer, Wolfsburg would rather extend his contract. So that one I can see happening.

I'm not as set on the idea that players have to have a specific passion for the club - it's a job and most of them who kiss the badge are lying- but yeah if you're having to work this hard to even get him to consider it, there's a problem. He's not the only passing-focused midfielder in the world, Erik! 

De Jong seems pretty happy at Barca, why wouldn't he, its a nice place to live, he's playing well, he likes the club from what I hear has always wanted to play there, he's going to be paid well if he stays.

Vs joining Utd, a club in a far more chaotic position (even considering Barcas financial issues), with a new manager who may or may not do well, with a leadership who don't appear to know what they are doing still. And then there is the weather in Manchester. 

Seems like an easy decision to me.

43 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not as set on the idea that players have to have a specific passion for the club - it's a job and most of them who kiss the badge are lying- but yeah if you're having to work this hard to even get him to consider it, there's a problem. He's not the only passing-focused midfielder in the world, Erik! 

In fairness it seems like there’s a decent possibility ‘trying to convince the player’ means trying to convince him to let Barca fuck him over on the £17 million they owe him. It’s hard to blame him for not being keen.

4 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:
Don't know how reliable is this source.

It's not reliable. United and Barca agreed on a fee over a week ago (€65m + €20m in add-ons) as reported by multiple reliable sources for both clubs. The transfer is being held up by deferred wages owed to De Jong. Murtough and Arnold have travelled to Barcelona to try and reach a resolution.

One can obviously read absolutely nothing about the actual success of the approach from fifteen minutes of the first pre-season friendly but just in terms of what we're trying to do it's insane how much like a week of apparently focused and competent coaching can do. We haven't even been considering this sort of touch-and-move stuff for the last many seasons. Players off the ball just haven't had any idea where to be to facilitate it, and now at least they're roughly where they need to be.

Archived