Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

Barcelona's for sale list.

Umtiti, Mingueza, Puig, and Braithwaite. Those four won't be joining the team on their US tour.

Further candidates for the cleanout Pjanic and Depay.

FDJ's wages are just too heavy on the books to keep apparently.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

One can obviously read absolutely nothing about the actual success of the approach from fifteen minutes of the first pre-season friendly but just in terms of what we're trying to do it's insane how much like a week of apparently focused and competent coaching can do. We haven't even been considering this sort of touch-and-move stuff for the last many seasons. Players off the ball just haven't had any idea where to be to facilitate it, and now at least they're roughly where they need to be.

Watched the first half then had to turn it off. Did not like what I saw. Not one bit. 

On 7/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I always was frustrated with Rooney as a player, he was out of shape and never lived up to his promise he showed when he was 18 (and kept getting caught fucking grannies). But I think his stint at Derby showed 2 things - he is a decent manager and a decent human being. 

he's now the boss for my local club. when he played for us he was exciting and electric. it was surreal to have him on our pitch. 

as a coach i feel he is in for a lot. ownership is cheap and turned on the previous coach quickly when he pushed too hard or questioned too much. players rebelled against being held to a European level is fitness. 

luckily most of the squad played w rooney when he was here as a player and has enough cachet to push these players. but if ownership doesn't open up the wallet the team in last place will stay right the fuck there, rooney or no rooney.

There was some chatter that if we don't sign him we'll go for Neves and Tielemans instead for what would be roughly the same price, which would frankly be a much better idea if both came through but I have no idea if that's at all reliable, or just reporters being more sensible than our transfer team. 

39 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

you've got to feel for Dybala. Guy looked like he was Real Madrid bound a few years ago, and now he's going to end up at Mourinho's Roma. I mean what's happened to him, it's even more sad than Pogba.

Injury prone luxury player who only shows up for maybe a third of a season and is demanding big wages.

I think some players have gotten a wake-up call. There are a few players who thought that they could score themselves bumper contracts as free agents but it isn't working out that way. Inter seem to have cooled on Dybala, Lingard isn't getting the offers he must've hoped for and Dembele looks like he is going to have to accept Barca's contract proposal with significantly reduced wages because nobody has made him any offers even though his contract ran out on 30 June. Ronaldo must've also thought that top clubs would be tripping over themselves to sign him but he's gotten a rude awakening as well.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Isn't Gravenberch more like box-to-box midfielder?!

De Jong is a box to box midfielder. Certainly in Ten Hag's conception. 

That is why I'm a bit concerned that he seems to be our only midfield target. He's certainly an improvement in that role on Fred and McTominay and even on Pogba in the way we spent most of the time trying to use him, but he doesn't actually solve the problem that crippled Pogba in the end. 

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

De Jong is a box to box midfielder. Certainly in Ten Hag's conception. 

That is why I'm a bit concerned that he seems to be our only midfield target. He's certainly an improvement in that role on Fred and McTominay and even on Pogba in the way we spent most of the time trying to use him, but he doesn't actually solve the problem that crippled Pogba in the end. 

? de Jong is more a deep lying playmaker to me. The guy who distributes the balls, and not the guy with the big engine, who keeps on running up and down the field all day long.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

? de Jong is more a deep lying playmaker to me. The guy who distributes the balls, and not the guy with the big engine, who keeps on running up and down the field all day long.

An article on how De Jong was used by Ten Hag at Ajax, including this direct quote from ETH:

His quality is that he ensures that the ball gets into the final third. He is an adventurer, always on the move. Often with the ball, sometimes without the ball. Can you put him at six as the only link? He leaves the middle of the pitch too often for that. And if you don’t give him the freedom to go forward, you won’t get the best out of his game.

After Martinez turned us down yesterday for Ten Hag and United, we have apparently shifted focus onto Zinchenko. Ornstein reporting that he is now Arteta's priority, and that talks are open between clubs.

Would much rather have Zinchenko than Martinez so this looks like it might work out well.

Archived