Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Hands up everyone who wants to move in with their boss.

rent is pretty expensive in dc. and it is funny how so many if the fans are now eating out of the front office's hands due to rooney. i will continue being very skeptical until i see them sign some players to go along with rooney's ambitions. we have a few decent players, but overall not keeping up with the rest of the league.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

After Martinez turned us down yesterday for Ten Hag and United, we have apparently shifted focus onto Zinchenko. Ornstein reporting that he is now Arteta's priority, and that talks are open between clubs.

Would much rather have Zinchenko than Martinez so this looks like it might work out well.

Me too. Zinchenko is great.

There were reports that Arsenal were intending to use Lisandro Martinez as a LB – the fact that they've moved on to Zinchenko appears to support those reports. In that case, I'm not sure why Arsenal were even looking at Martinez in the first place – he's a CB who occasionally plays as a DM. Would've been a waste of money for Arsenal to sign him for a position that he's only ever played in a handful of times in his career and not recently.

Cover for LB but also for Partey and at CB. They liked his progressive passing and ability in the build up plus versatility. Think he’s played LCB in 3 at back which we sometimes play and could move to if we needed. Agree Zinchenko is a better fit overall.

I don't expect it to happen right from the start but I wouldn't be shocked to see Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage threatening McTominay and Fred's squad places as the season goes on, assuming they don't get loaned. They're so much more Ten Hag's actual style of player, even though it's too early to say if the all-round quality as far as mentality and being able to keep up with full-paced games is there. They play very well together too, very disciplined about one dropping back as the other moves forwards, though that won't be happening too often for the first team.

Bailly, on the other hand, is very much auditioning for the transfer list on his performance so far. His quick passing just isn't there right now.

That's just typical Bailly. This is nothing new. He's a wildly inconsistent player who can be brilliant one moment and a complete disaster in the next. Over these two games though, Bailly looks to be the CB who has adapted to Ten Hag's system the best which is not all that encouraging.

let's keep boring you all with talk about my local club dc united now coached by a guy named wayne rooney!

current rumors are ravel morrison and jesse lingard coming over. the former is pretty believable. the latter would be a dream. he is the kind of attacker that would shred mls defenses.

wayne has immense connections and brings immediate clout to the club when attempting to recruit players who would ordinarily laugh at coming to play at dc.

I'm still sad about how hard Morrison's personal problems and failings got in his way. Absurdly, outrageously gifted player. It does seem like Rooney got a tune out of him at Derby so if he can manage that in DC you've got a good thing coming to you. 

On LB/WB news.

Surprised that there are so few clubs interested in Raum (Hoffenheim).

Basically a German Robertson kinda player. Offensive minded, with a big battery and good crossing ability. Price tag rumoredly around 40m € (possibly a bit less).

Dortmund is considering making a move.

EPL clubs rumoredly interest West Ham and Newcastle.

Newcastle apparently can't make a move for him now due to FFP restrictions. And West Ham doesn't really appeal to the player that much.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

.Newcastle apparently can't make a move for him now due to FFP restrictions. .

That's surprising. I thought the prudence of the Ashley years had given them quite a bit of headroom.

Newcastle do have some FFP restrictions so they will not be able to spend in the manner that Chelsea or City did in the early years following their respective takeovers. However, Newcastle do have a decent transfer budget at their disposal. The Athletic did a piece a couple of months back saying that Newcastle would be able to spend around £80m + player sales.

So it's not FFP restrictions that prevent Newcastle from bidding for Raum  – Newcastle have already signed a LB in Matt Target. Also, the Newcastle journos have reported that the priorities are CB and forwards. Botman has already signed and per Luke Edwards, the club were in talks for Moussa Diaby and Alexander Isak but have abandoned those pursuits due to the transfer fees and wages being demanded.

In other news, Eriksen confirmed. Still a bit confused by that one but eh, it's depth, and I guess I didn't pay that much precise attention to Brentford last season but a lot of the assumption seems to be that he's being bought to play a bit deeper than the no10 he used to be, which I'm not convinced is the answer even as backup to whoever we eventually sign as first choice but makes more sense than buying another no10. 

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In other news, Eriksen confirmed. Still a bit confused by that one but eh, it's depth, and I guess I didn't pay that much precise attention to Brentford last season but a lot of the assumption seems to be that he's being bought to play a bit deeper than the no10 he used to be, which I'm not convinced is the answer even as backup to whoever we eventually sign as first choice but makes more sense than buying another no10. 

Thinking of Eriksen as 'depth' seems mad to me. He is better than anything else you have. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Thinking of Eriksen as 'depth' seems mad to me. He is better than anything else you have. 

If he's playing deeper? Sure, if we fail to get anyone else. Further forward? His two positions would be 10 or from the left and he's not supplanting Bruno or Sancho. Admittedly Sancho can also play from the right, making his competition Elanga and Rashford, but that could leave us lacking direct pace.  

Archived