Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

It seems like he doesn't want to leave, surely at some point you don't want a player that doesn't want to come to United

Oh for sure, at this point I do not, especially since he's showing the signs of being someone who'd be happy to Gareth Bale it to the end of his contract if it doesn't work out with us either.

I do get why ETH is so insistent on getting a guy he knows and trusts for what will presumably be the most pivotal role in the team but it's a concern that we haven't been able to convince him that someone else can do that too. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The other thing that comes to mind is that Barca only just avoided going bankrupt while fielding one of the most transcendent players to ever grace the pitch.

Without Messi, it seems to me that their hubris and immoderate spending on older players is surely going to bite them in the a$$ sooner rather than later when the unavoidable numbers chain finally runs out.

Again, if Lewandowski gets them to the CL-semi twice it will be great for them financially. The extra revenue will have easily made up for his acquisition (fee + wages) + some cash to burn.

In US sports you'd call him a rental player (altho he signed for 3 seasons, not just one).  It's a gamble on Barca's end. If that bet fails miserably (like still crashing out of the CL like last season), then signing Lewandowski will indeed be another albatross for them. 

CL performances is really what this transfer is to be judged by.

Re. Bayern: when did they know Lewan was adamant to leave? because it looks terrible business to me that they didn't try to sign Haaland in replacement

Re. De Jong: I think it's the exact same story than Bruno, Sancho, Telles and others. we signed these guys six months or one year after showing interest in the first place. I think we'll get De Jong at best in january, and possibly Antony next summer.

@polishgenius what was the farce again with Herrera? I remember being happy he left, but not the details of his departure

Haaland was too big a deal for Bayern. Fee, wages, Mino's cut.

Oil clubs and Real, those were pretty much the only clubs in contention there, that were able to satisfy both the financial and sporting demands (chance to win the CL).

It wasn't his departure, which was just standard 'we wouldn't give him what he wanted though he was one of our most important players', it was his arrival. A year later than initially planned and with that bizarre interlude where three random Spanish lawyers turned up to the Spanish league offices purporting to negotiate for us, but apparently with no authority to do so.

This is the problem with having a weak structure above the manager so that United have just ended up chasing Ten Hag's targets with no alternatives lined up. Our plan for CB was Lisandro Martinez or bust so we ended up overpaying and our plan for midfield is de Jong or bust so we have no alternatives and will persist even though there are serious complications with his deferred wages in addition to the player preferring to stay at Barca. Our plan for a forward was Antony or bust but Ajax have put an even bigger 'fuck off' price on him and it doesn't look like we have any alternatives there either. Nothing has changed – we've just replaced one set of clowns with another.

11 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

So Liverpool having reached 3 finals and winning 1 of them made a nice load of money. Wonder how much roughly. 

They could buy Bellingham surely with just the CL money?

I believe player contract bonuses consume a decent % of the extra revenue for CL progression.  Which seems fair.  So you cannot count that CL money all going to transfer budget.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

It'll take time, no matter who comes in, to create that structure.

Yeah, I don't think it's all the same problems. After all, we've signed three of the players we wanted in a fairly timely fashion, notably negotiating more than one transfer at a time which previously seemed beyond us. And as much as I wish Ten Hag would acknowledge other targets- and it is a problem that he evidently doesn't trust the scouting and transfer team to help him find other targets- I am glad that the board aren't just overruling him, because that's how we ended up with VDB at a loose end, Ronaldo disrupting the structure (though Ole may have taken them up on that anyway, it doesn't seem like it was his actual decision), and all sorts of other bullshit. 

There's still obvious problems, but it isn't the same shitshow it was with Woodward and Judge. 

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The other thing that comes to mind is that Barca only just avoided going bankrupt while fielding one of the most transcendent players to ever grace the pitch.

Without Messi, it seems to me that their hubris and immoderate spending on older players is surely going to bite them in the a$$ sooner rather than later when the unavoidable numbers chain finally runs out.

They mismanaged, it happens, they can't count on Saudi money to bail them out and La Liga's ffp rules are incredibly tight, in fact the tightest of all Europe by far. Older players is pretty much what they can sign now.

They have neither oil money, nor can they fabricate new sponsors. Thy are mortgaging their future, which is shooting yourself in the lung, but they were out of options. Laporta has been super shady about it anyway.

@polishgenius

He's better than either of them too, but he's still a hell of a gamble at that age.

All of Barca's moves are, thing is that if the man can keep half a decent form for 2 years it'd be better than anything they have now. It's not like they were a lot of elite strikers lining up to sign for Barca.

@Raja

Still not a value for money deal, but it depends on how you want to run your club.

If they make it as far as quarter finals (let alone semis/final/ winning the whole thing) regularly from now on again, it's already money well spent.

What were their options mind you? Lewy's obviously striked goal but he's still one of the best in the world, he's not going to Barcelona to retire a la Messi at Paris.

Fun thing is, Barca cannot register this players yet so...

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I'll wait for reliable journalists to report on it before believing that. I doubt we look to sign a CF unless Ronaldo leaves and that's not a given since it appears no top clubs want him.

As Sir Alex used to say, it's squeaky bum time. Ten Hag be like, 'Come on Bayern!' 

If you don't manage to shift him, it's gonna create a bunch of problems. You can't leave him out of the team, so Ten Hag will struggle to impose his vision, the team will struggle, and the manager will ultimately pay the price.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

As Sir Alex used to say, it's squeaky bum time. Ten Hag be like, 'Come on Bayern!' 

If you don't manage to shift him, it's gonna create a bunch of problems. You can't leave him out of the team, so Ten Hag will struggle to impose his vision, the team will struggle, and the manager will ultimately pay the price.

I think we might be stuck with Ronaldo unfortunately. The only silver lining would be that that he's only got 1 year left on his contract. Maybe PSG will come to the rescue.

I doubt Bayern are interested. Everyone at Bayern (Kahn, Brazzo and Nagelsmann) have all come out and rubbished reports linking the club to Ronaldo. Pretty sure their plan is to play Mane up top. If reports are accurate then it seems they prefer to take a chance on a potential future star in Mathys Tel.

Archived