Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

22 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Lol. He's a rapist. Because of whom, you finished sixth.

I mean OK for the rapist stuff, OK for the problem he creates in return for his goal scoring.

But do you really think we would have had a much better season with Martial up front. Or Cavani. 

Sometimes it sounds a bit like when Zlatan was at the club, and half the fanbase wanted us to play a 19yo Rashford instead

I said it, I wish we would have other options than Ronaldo, but ffs it looks like we are talking about Peter Crouch here :D 

8 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Testicular cancer is jumping to conclusions, no?

They have discovered a tumor, but no confirmation whether it's malign (cancer) or not. Testicular tumors tend to be cancerous most of the time tho, if I am not mistaken. Testicular cancer has a good survivability/recovery rate. So best of luck to Haller.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:18 PM, polishgenius said:

They weren't out of options. They could have accepted that things are gonna be tough for a few years, refocused on smart buys with an eye for the future, put time into figuring out what seems to be going wrong at La Masia and found their way back to sustainability- they're not Leeds, they're not going to get relegated even if they fail to make the CL once or twice. They're not even Arsenal who don't have the monetary power to keep up with the top - short of oil barons coming in there too, Barca would be right back to being a financially competitive club in La Liga with not too long a time of sensible running. Seeing Madrid scooping up titles in the meantime would suck, but it'll suck more if this gamble on their future fails and they collapse even harder.

Revenues would fall in the meantime, which means that debt would be even more untenable. Sure, this crazy spending and mortgaging their future is due them being arrogant as fuck and having a gambling addiction. But by focusing on La Masía you're simply begging for getting knocked out in 16th rounds or not even make it past the group stage, that's going to cripple them even more in the long term.

I do agree with you on the smart signings part, it's not really their prices but their wages, but well not winning means that Laporta will be sacked in two years and Barça fans, most like Madrid, United or Bayern fans, believe they are royalty and entitled to league titles and deep runs in the UCL, they'll buy that till it explodes.

It looks like we're closing in on DJ Spence. So we've got a new left wing-back, new right wing-back, a box-to-box midfielder and another forward to give Kane, Son and Kulu competition.

Daniel Levy has been a mixed bag throughout his tenure but I think we have to salute him for this transfer window. I'm sure Conte feels like he's been given full backing.

However, competition for top 4 will be tougher next season, Man U and Arsenal are both strengthening. I'm hoping Chelsea will fall off the pace under new ownership and make space.

17 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

But do you really think we would have had a much better season with Martial up front. Or Cavani. 

You are aware this was United's lowest points tally ever in Premier League era? And that the season before they finished second in the league?

Yes, but there the circumstances favored United quite a bit.

Liverpool's defense and midfield was hit by injuries left and right, thus they struggled and barely managed to get into the top four in the run in.

Chelsea had Lampard at the helm, who was out of his depth. Only after Tuchel took over they started to look legit. 

Arsenal and Spurs were non-existent that year. 

The whole point of Spurs that year was to deny Leicester CL qualification.

74 points were a good haul that year for United. It would've been good enough for a top four finish last season, too. Nothing less, but also nothing more.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:50 PM, The Sunland Lord said:

Juventus tries to hijack Bremer last minute from Inter. They want to offer 10 million more and 5 million net salary for Bremer in case the deal with Inter collapses. If this happens, Marotta should be sacked by Zhang immediately after botching the Dybala deal. 

And they will.

Marotta should resign after botching two of his primary targets this summer. 

1 hour ago, baxus said:

You are aware this was United's lowest points tally ever in Premier League era? And that the season before they finished second in the league?

Finishing second was good but by the time of January we were out of the title race that season. Hell I can even remember, one of the people on this thread, wondering if City wasn't going to clinch the title in February or March that year :D

As Horse pointed out, if Liverpool had CBs and Chelsea a competent manager earlier that season, it would have been a different story.

In fact, saying that we had our lowest point tally only because of Ronaldo, is either bias or not watching fucking games. The season was only a string of painful events, the 1st of them being Wan Bissaka sent out in our opening CL game of the season.

As I said, playing with Martial or Cavani upfront considering their form back then, wouldn't have been much better.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The circumstances favoured us coming second but they didn't favour us so much that any of the opposition woes you detailed had anything to do with why we finished fourteen points and fourteen goals worse off.

2 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

In fact, saying that we had our lowest point tally only because of Ronaldo,

It's not only because of Ronaldo. But he's a massive part of it. Him being lazier and a lot slower than he used to doesn't just impact us in the sense of players having to cater to him when they have the ball or in the sense that was often brought up last season about pressing- it also impacts the positions players can take up at all, having to cover the gaps where a number 9 would be for us to function as an attack at all, or even a fake or false 9. Martial wasn't ever great in the role but at least he was always seeking to get involved in the buildup too, whereas Ronaldo did so rarely. Which was infuriating because he clearly still has a vision for knocking a player in behind the lines when he wants to, but the game is so focused on getting him in behind the lines it rarely happens. It's part of why we saw Bruno breaking past the forwards less often, for example.
And our whole midfield has to push up closer to work, leaving the defence even more exposed than it already was (and exacerbating some of Maguire's problems as he in turn tried to cover a lot of the responsibility of defensive midfield despite having the turning circle of an oil tanker and thus manifestly unsuited to covering two positions). That part isn't entirely on Ronaldo since Ole clearly bought Varane in order to facilitate Maguire, in theory, doing that more comfortably, and didn't roll it back when Varane was unfit, but part of not rolling that back probably was because doing so would have left the attack even lighter. 

2 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Finishing second was good but by the time of January we were out of the title race that season.

The season before Ronaldo we were out of the title race by January whereas after we bought him back we were out of it by September. And at that stage Mason Greenwood hadn't been exposed yet.

It wouldn't be ideal if Ronaldo left and we didn't get a replacement but we definitely won't get a replacement until he leaves and honestly I'd rather see how Martial does under ETH than Ronaldo.

And he's a rapist.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The circumstances favoured us coming second but they didn't favour us so much that any of the opposition woes you detailed had anything to do with why we finished fourteen points and fourteen goals worse off.

Thus the qualifier in my last paragraph.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

74 points were a good haul that year for United. It would've been good enough for a top four finish last season, too.

I only meant to say, second place finish was deceiving, as other top four candidates had their own issues. 74 points was still a good haul that should be good enough to finish in the top four more often than not. For top two finish you just seem to post 80++ points to finish second as a bare minimum these days.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sure, other clubs had their share of bad luck and bad decisions but even so, if we say that in somewhat regular circumstances Liverpool and Chelsea would have finished above United that season, they'd still be fourth and not sixth. Or do you think it reasonable to expect other 5 of top 6 teams to have a great season? When has that ever happened?

4 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Finishing second was good but by the time of January we were out of the title race that season. Hell I can even remember, one of the people on this thread, wondering if City wasn't going to clinch the title in February or March that year :D

In fact, saying that we had our lowest point tally only because of Ronaldo, is either bias or not watching fucking games. The season was only a string of painful events, the 1st of them being Wan Bissaka sent out in our opening CL game of the season.

As I said, playing with Martial or Cavani upfront considering their form back then, wouldn't have been much better.

As polish already said, last season United was out of the title race much earlier.

As for Cronaldo being the only reason, no one said that so I'd appreciate it if you read a bit more carefully. But, once again as polish said, he was a big part of the problem. Do you remember the whole "how will Bruno and Cronaldo pair up?" debate that was going on last summer? How did they pair up? By doing everything to suit Cronaldo and as a result Bruno was nowhere near the level he was season before Cronaldo joined. Is there a single player that improved last season from playing with Cronaldo? Sure, he had his 25 goals or however many, but at the expense of United looking very poor for most of the season. As far as watching United's games, I've seen more than I should have and more than they deserved. They were so bad last that I had no joy in watching Liverpool trash them 5-0 and 4-0 and that probably tells you all you need to know.

Wan Bissaka being sent off in first match of the CL group stage can be on the list of unfortunate events United faced last season but it's not even worth a mention alongside many others, a fiasco that is signing Cronaldo just so that City doesn't get him and not knowing what to do once they signed him being the main one.

The very fact that Cronaldo was (and still is) doing everything in his power to leave United this summer speaks volumes. The fact no one took him STILL speaks even louder.

Archived