Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

I loved it when it was reported that Bayern wouldn't take Lewandowski's transfer fee in installments, add-ons and such, and wanted it all immediately because "Barca won't exist in 2-3 years time". :lol:

Joking aside, it does look like Barca is trying to get out of the hole they're in by digging themselves deeper.

Barca want their cake and to eat it too. They've reduced their wage bill by a combination of high earners leaving, renegotiating contracts with lower wages or extending some contracts so that wages can be amortised over a longer period. They've restructured their bad short term debt at poor interest rates with a loan at a much more favourable interest rate.

All of that is good for the club's finances but then they also want to compete for league and CL titles so they've mortgaged 25% of their TV rights for up to 25 years which means less TV revenue in the long term in favour of a short term cash injection to make big money signings. There's also the possibility that they sell off 49.9% of their licensing and merchandising for the same reason with the same trade-off i.e., less long-term revenue in favour of a short term cash injection.

If it works out then Laporta will be hailed as a saviour because Bartomeu's reign showed that the socios don't give a fuck about the president digging the club into a financial hole so long as the club is winning league titles and competing for the CL.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

If it works out then Laporta will be hailed as a saviour

It's not going to work out, though. Certainly not long term.

And what serious, top level player is going to look at the De Jong situation, along with everything else, and think, yeah that's the club for me?

38 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm fairly sure they aren't going to have much trouble attracting top players.

Let's see how long they can keep that up now their economics are completely screwed. 

The people running that club are about as deluded as Boris Johnson's Tories.

They. Are. Fucked.

The overlooked problem for Barca is that they are hitting this financial squeeze just as interest rates are rising to control inflation.  In financial terms, they may be a zombie who can only shuffle onward while debt is cheap but unable to cope if financing terms become more expensive.

Lots of mega clubs have overspent at various times, especially Real’s galactico waves, but it helped them all that the past 30+ years was an era of ever easier capital amid plentiful liquidity.  This looks set to be a first major liquidity tightening in decades (the Great Financial Crisis was an involuntary tightening of liquidity as the credit bubble collapsed, but then was quickly replaced by a massive injection of liquidity by central banks — so only temporary).

Maybe Barca have shored up their balance sheet just in time to weather these headwinds but we’ll see.  Otherwise it would a reasonably good bet that the ever expanding flow of money into football would have allowed them to outgrow this predicament.

The thing is, Real Madrid demonstrated some time ago that FFP or not, some clubs genuinely are too big to fail.

If Barca get into more financial trouble, ways will be found. They may have to thole a few years at mid-table, but ways will be found.

Not sure if anyone's watching the Euro quarters between Spain & England - even though it's 0-0, I think it's been a good game. Spain are tidy and I think they've shaded it for me in terms of the better performance so far. Leah Williamson has been very good for England and probably the best player so far.

While I'm happy with the business we have done, and pleased we've avoided being ripped off so far, I really think we need to bite the bullet and get at least one forward. Wilson is excellent for us but very injury prone.

I don't understand why all clubs don't conclude their business by the time pre season starts. 

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

This has got heartbreaking penalty shootout loss written all over it.

ETA: Or Georgia Stanway could do that I suppose.

It was a cracking strike but also shocking defending. They just kept backing off. 

In unrelated news.

RIP Uwe Seeler

The German football legend has passed away aged 85. Can't say anything bad about him, despite/other than playing for that other club in town. Otherwise a true gentleman of the sport. Three times German footballer of the year (1960, 1964, 1970) The elder generation of our boarders might remember him as part of the German team that played the World Cup in England in 1966. Overall he scored 43 goald in 72 caps between 1954 and 1970. One club player.

That is a ludicrous wage for Lingard (more than twice what he was earning at United). Forest have taken a big risk here shattering their wage structure so for their sake, hopefully Lingard can get it done on the pitch rather than tiktok.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:
That is a ludicrous wage for Lingard

Absolutely. I think the one perspective from Forest is that it's only a 1 year deal, so they're not tied to a very high wage for long?

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Absolutely. I think the one perspective from Forest is that it's only a 1 year deal, so they're not tied to a very high wage for long?

It still seems like a crazy wage for any PL club to pay him, and especially a newly promoted side who are suddenly exploding their wage structure.

What about Lingard’s performances over the past several years suggests his wages should more than double?  Even West Ham, who got a good loan spell out of him and who need forwards and have a higher wage structure, aren’t willing to offer that.

Archived