Football: Transfers of Power

polishgenius

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They'll let you down again within three months. 

We'll see. But we are looking good. 

Chelsea and their ancient defenders are fucked. So are United, as long as CR7 hangs around. I don't think the Spurs players will last an entire season of Conte's harrying. 

We're gonna finish third.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Fucking state of this. No way this melt survives an entire season under Conte.

What a prick. Why were the other spurs players not shouting at him rather than getting in Zouma's face? 

12 hours ago, Raja said:

Saliba looked decent. I think I still prefer White over him, but he didn't do much wrong in that chelsea game.

Pity Viera & ESR are injured atm.

Saliba has looked immense in preseason and no way White should start over him. I like White well enough and he’s fine at RB while Tomi heals up (especially if Zinchenko plays more inverted in possession), but not a chance he should start over Saliba based on what we’ve seen. 

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Saliba has looked immense in preseason and no way White should start over him. I like White well enough and he’s fine at RB while Tomi heals up (especially if Zinchenko plays more inverted in possession), but not a chance he should start over Saliba based on what we’ve seen. 

I don't think Saliba has the recovery pace that White does, and the latter is better on the ball imo. Yeah, I think White will stay as RB until Tomi comes back, then Arteta will have to figure out what he wants to do.

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I don't think Saliba has the recovery pace that White does, and the latter is better on the ball imo. Yeah, I think White will stay as RB until Tomi comes back, then Arteta will have to figure out what he wants to do.

Maybe not but he reads the game really really well, is bigger and stronger (he’s got 4 inches on white) and seems super calm back there when he has to recover (see Werner tackle). He also was a leader in Ligue 1 in forward passes and progression which is what Arteta wants. It’s early days but hard to see him displaced given what he’s shown.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It’s early days but hard to see him displaced given what he’s shown.

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy to see him & white fight for the spot. It's better than last season where we had Holding and there was defo a proper drop in quality.

Palace is gonna be a tough game though

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Saliba looks like one of those generational talents. I think Gabriel is too. We are very fortunate to have them both.

Seems a bit much. Gabriel still makes mistakes and is a good but not great passer between the lines and we don't know about Saliba yet. They look like a strong partnership though and I love the size and strength. Defense could actually be a strong point if we can retain possession and have a back 4 of Tomi/White, Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney/Zinchenko with Partey in front. The biggest issue is if Partey gets injured or arrested again as we don't have any cover for him other than Elneny.

13 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Seems a bit much. Gabriel still makes mistakes and is a good but not great passer between the lines and we don't know about Saliba yet. They look like a strong partnership though and I love the size and strength. Defense could actually be a strong point if we can retain possession and have a back 4 of Tomi/White, Saliba, Gabriel, Tierney/Zinchenko.

You could see Gabriel's potential in his first season with us. Big and strong and graceful. He has a real physical dexterity about him, and is clearly in absolute control over every single muscle in his body. The anti-Phil Jones, if you like. He reads the game well, and seems up for a scrap. Yeah, he makes the odd mistake. But he is still only 24, an infant in terms of CB, and his passing will improve with coaching and experience.

I think he has the potential to be one of the world's best. A blind man could see why Juventus want him.

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

You could see Gabriel's potential in his first season with us. Big and strong and graceful. He has a real physical dexterity about him, and is clearly in absolute control over every single muscle in his body. The anti-Phil Jones, if you like. He reads the game well, and seems up for a scrap. Yeah, he makes the odd mistake. But he is still only 24, an infant in terms of CB, and his passing will improve with coaching and experience.

I think he has the potential to be one of the world's best. A blind man could see why Juventus want him.

I hear you. I have high hopes for sure. I can't wait for this season to start. I'm excited in a way I haven't been in a long time. Even Edu's interview that dropped this morning is exciting. He's spot on in terms of mentality, age, inability to sell old and expensive players, need to clear out, multi-year progression, desire for a clear idea on style. It just made a lot of sense to me and is exactly what needed to be done. Think we're fairly lucky Kroenke's won Super Bowl (RIP my Bengals) and Stanley Cup as they're definitely upping their game in terms of investment.

Archived