UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

Finally, English Labour seem to have realised they need to offer something, not just float around in a lukewarm tank of filtered Tory piss. Now they just need to be brave about articulating it and pushing it. 

The interview with Wes Streeting doesn't exactly seem to be brimming with confidence though: "In an interview with the Guardian, Wes Streeting said he had asked the Fabian Society to look at how the service would be funded and structured, with a view to bringing it in over the course of several parliaments." 

I'm not against the practicalities of needing time to fully achieve a big change, but to be emphasising this gradualism so early on seems insipid. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Boris did know about Pincher, and sent his MPs out to face the music and lie for him. When will they stop shovelling shit for him? 

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.

I'm trying to get my head around this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-62038586

Labour will not do any deals with the SNP after the next general election, the party's Scottish leader has said.

Anas Sarwar said there would be no pact between the parties even in the event of a hung parliament.

The Scottish Labour leader was setting out his proposals for the future of the UK in a speech at Westminster.

His proposals included a legal duty of cooperation for governments in London and Edinburgh, and a regional senate to replace the House of Lords.

So we will under no circumstances do a deal with the SNP, but if we get into government we'll put ourselves under a legal duty to cooperate with them. Whatever the latter actually means. How do you legally require cooperation in politics? Let alone with a governing party you refuse to do deals with? If the Labour party would not contemplate agreeing SNP support at Westminster in return for, say, granting a binding referendum, then what do the Labour government do when they're asked by the SNP government for a binding referendum?

tl;dr - what does this nonsense actually mean?

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I'm trying to get my head around this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-62038586

So we will under no circumstances do a deal with the SNP, but if we get into government we'll put ourselves under a legal duty to cooperate with them. Whatever the latter actually means. How do you legally require cooperation in politics? Let alone with a governing party you refuse to do deals with? If the Labour party would not contemplate agreeing SNP support at Westminster in return for, say, granting a binding referendum, then what do the Labour government do when they're asked by the SNP government for a binding referendum?

tl;dr - what does this nonsense actually mean?

I think it means that Labour will 100% not do a deal with the SNP unless they really really need to. Or something.

I suspect the Labour thought process is that the SNP might be able to get their late 2023 referendum (which they will probably lose, or so Labour hopes) so it will not be a problem in the event of a hung Parliament six months later.

I think it means the 'legal duty of cooperation' works one way and one way only.

After all, the Tories are openly speaking of overturning a Scottish government reform (which was an election pledge) because it might be inconvenient for the UK government.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/07/04/suella-braverman-attorney-general-gender-recognition-act-scotland/

I'm guessing the Labour party would like to do the same for anything they find awkward too.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

JFC. Does anyone at Conservative HQ think this kind of thing is helping them? What a fucking cretin. 

Dear god…

With these giants of intellect and integrity leading the country, no wonder we’re fucked

More Brexit winning. British crops rotting in the fields because no one to pick them. Meanwhile supermarkets are selling ‘British’ veg grown abroad.

check out the label on these ‘British’ Tesco carrots (open the photo and zoom in near the bottom).

At this point I can't help but feel like the Tories are doing everything they can to ensure they aren't in power after the next election, and Labour having noticed this has decided to do everything they can to ensure that they are.

Archived