UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, I mean sure, sex scandal was most certainly among the top picks of what would bring him down. But that it is not his sexual conduct that brings him down is a nice little twist. I did not see that one coming.

Thought you and our chaircat were more on the conservative end of the political spectrum. And yes, I know he was appaled by what had become of his conservative party, and was vocal in his opposition to PM Johnson, too. 

However, every Tory MP who backed him knew exactly who and what he was. Esp. MPs who served as ministers in his goverment should spare us the crocodile tears.

The Tory party now and for a few years now is not really traditional Tory other than the name.  Many traditonal Tories don't and never supported the Boris Government  So I would personally be careful of calling anyone who traditionally voted or supported the Torries as someone ok with Boris.

If Johnson goes the Nuclear route and calls a general election can he just do that or does he need to get it people to vote on it first?   Obviously every non-tory will be eager for one.  but its suicide right not for most Tory MP's until this current thing has passed.

I believe a general election is something Boris would consider instead of resigning.  he doesn't care about the party or anyone but him and revenge suits him.

1 minute ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

If Johnson goes the Nuclear route and calls a general election can he just do that or does he need to get it people to vote on it first?   Obviously every non-tory will be eager for one.  but its suicide right not for most Tory MP's until this current thing has passed.

I believe a general election is something Boris would consider instead of resigning.  he doesn't care about the party or anyone but him and revenge suits him.

A tricky one. Constitutionally, without a vote of no-confidence, the monarch should seek to find out whether there was anyone else who could command the confidence of the House of Commons.

37 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Ah, collective guilt, gotcha. 

Sorry, didn't you invoke some nonsense Jeremy Corbyn sounded off as something all left leaning boarders should discuss? 

I think it was about his objection to NATO. And Captain nonsense had his whip withdrawn way before he gave that soundbite. 

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sorry, didn't you invoke some nonsense Jeremy Corbyn sounded off as something all left leaning boarders should discuss? 

I think it was about his objection to NATO. And Captain nonsense had his whip withdrawn way before he gave that soundbite. 

No, I didn’t. I was taking about board dynamics where any accusation against anyone associated with the right was automatically believed, whereas anything said on the left was to be explained away. And with you, specifically, I objected to your claim that it was empirically obvious that Corbyn would have been better than Johnson. And just to repeat myself, despite the frequent accusations: I didn’t, nor would I ever, vote for either of them.

I don't think Corbyn would've neccessarily been any better than Johnson, but it's really hard to see how he could've done any worse in most areas of policy, or polity, or politics. The one key area in which he would be worse is presumably Ukraine. The one area Johnson has not managed to mess up, yet. 

Otherwise, I think you are confusing me with a different boarder.

One report (from The Sun for what that's worth) that Zahawi and Truss are at loggerheads over becoming Chancellor, and Zahawi may resign if he doesn't get the position.

ETA: If so, it worked. Zahawi is Chancellor, Barclay is Health Secretary.

That dread, obscene word, has again been uttered inside the UK, as the cases are so very, very high. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/05/uk-covid-cases-are-rising-should-we-wear-masks-again

The words nobody is uttering any longer though, are: herd; immunity.

Oops.  Again.  Somehow we never ever learn.

27 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don't think Corbyn would've neccessarily been any better than Johnson, but it's really hard to see how he could've done any worse in most areas of policy, or polity, or politics. The one key area in which he would be worse is presumably Ukraine. The one area Johnson has not managed to mess up, yet. 

Otherwise, I think you are confusing me with a different boarder.

I’ve searched extensively and although I can find other occasions where we’ve argued about whether this is true, I cannot find the ur thread. In which case, I must apologise. I can assure you my recollection was honestly held, if that helps at all. Sorry.

13 minutes ago, Hereward said:

In which case, I must apologise. I can assure you my recollection was honestly held, if that helps at all. Sorry.

Clearly, you're no longer a conservative.

24 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I’ve searched extensively and although I can find other occasions where we’ve argued about whether this is true, I cannot find the ur thread. In which case, I must apologise. I can assure you my recollection was honestly held, if that helps at all. Sorry.

No offense taken, no apologies required.

Boris will never resign.  He's got too much Trump in him.

He might believe he can survive another confidence vote even if they change the rules to allow one soon.  (and doing that is not instant.  Or he might believe he has a chance in a snap general election with the added bonus that if he looses that he takes his enemies with him so he might see loosing as a kind of win.

oh and if he can deselect traitors first even better.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

One report (from The Sun for what that's worth) that Zahawi and Truss are at loggerheads over becoming Chancellor, and Zahawi may resign if he doesn't get the position.

ETA: If so, it worked. Zahawi is Chancellor, Barclay is Health Secretary.

Does this mean Truss will withdraw her support from Boris afterall?  Or will Boris offer her some kind of bone?

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Does this mean Truss will withdraw her support from Boris afterall?  Or will Boris offer her some kind of bone?

I think Truss, showing her usual political killer instinct, fucked up by declaring support for Johnson before the horse-trading started, so she can't go back on that now without looking like a complete idiot. Or more like a complete idiot than normal. So I suspect she'll just be kept quiet, maybe offered a visit to Kyiv as a bone to look cool or something.

Archived