UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

For sure.  As against that the vaccination was done well, and I think Corbyn would have maintained lockdown for much longer.

Depends how you look at it. The UK was on the forefront of approving the widespread use of vaccines. They also had a headstart due to the AstraZeneca shenanigans. But overall, the innoculation rate of the UK is not really exceptional. The UK has done alright. It's slightly higher than France's or Germany's. 

On the other hand... On covid deaths, the UK also outperforms France (slightly) and Germany (quite significantly). 

So to sell that as a success story involves quite a bit of spin. I used France and Germany as the two countries of similar size and somewhat comparable economic power. Ofc. you can also compare it to smaller and economically weaker country like Bulgaria, but like I said, if you want to sell it as a great succes story, you have to apply quite a bit of spin there.

Side note, I wasn't aware how poorly Hungary performed on that metric. 

Now on 38 resignations.

The head of the 1922 committee has rocked up to apparently tell Boris that if he doesn't resign now he'll be gone next week through processes anyway. I think that might be unprecedented.

Again the most fascinating thing is, he is not getting ousted over a thing he did, this is about him refusing to take responsibility for the actions of Pincher. I mean, Bozo has never learnt to take responsibility for his own actions. So how does anybody expect him to understand that he should resign now.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

At this point I'm trying to imagine what is going through Boris' head, why won't he leave? He doesn't even like being Prime Minister! He is totally uninterested in it. 

He loves being Prime Minster.

He just does not want to do the work of actually running the country.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

At this point I'm trying to imagine what is going through Boris' head, why won't he leave? He doesn't even like being Prime Minister! He is totally uninterested in it. 

You could say the same thing about Trump being president...

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

He loves being Prime Minster.

He just does not want to do the work of actually running the country.

And this would be the answer.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Pure spite and a cast-iron axiomatic belief that rules are for other people and no-one gets to tell him what to do.

The chief whip is supposed to be the Prime Minister's enforcer and disciplinarian. Him actively telling ministers and MPs to withdraw their support for the PM is unbelievable.

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He wants to be the new Churchhill

5 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

He wants to be the new Churchhill

Suffering a humiliating major loss just after a wartime moment of triumph?

Seems on course so far.

We need to get one thing straight, because even some of our UK boarders seem to not get this part of how the constitutional settlement works.

Theoretically the Queen can independently decide to do this or that under our constitution. In practice, the Queen has made it perfectly clear over the course of her career, she will never do any of it. No, not that. Or that. Not even if that happens.

The practical situation is that the Queen has these powers in name only. Should she ever try to use them under any circumstances, she believes (correctly) she would damage the role of the monarchy and probably be stripped of those powers anyway. She doesn't believe it's her role to say no to a Prime Minister under any circumstances.

And she's right. At least the PM is an elected dictator. Unelected ones are not the answer.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

The practical situation is that the Queen has these powers in name only. Should she ever try to use them under any circumstances, she believes (correctly) she would damage the role of the monarchy and probably be stripped of those powers anyway. She doesn't believe it's her role to say no to a Prime Minister under any circumstances.

And she's right. At least the PM is an elected dictator. Unelected ones are not the answer.

If the Prime Minister asks to do something that is effectively amoral or illegal to will cause damage to the country, the monarch is perfectly legally entitled to say no. To be clear, she won't decide that, her advisors and lawyers will make that determination.

But it is completely possible that a situation would arise where the PM asks the monarch to do something that they are forced to say no to.

Archived