UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

Just now, SeanF said:

When a PM goes rogue, it's the job of the Head of State to dismiss him.

Here's the problem: in saying that, you're saying it's the job of the head of state to make a judgement about the fitness of the PM. As I said, Liz does not agree. I don't either. If she does do that, we have a constitutional crisis that'll make today look like small beans.

Anyway, we shall see who's right if it comes to that. Meantime, I would speculate that Johnson might literally become unable to fill government positions very shortly.

8 minutes ago, mormont said:

No, he's staying because it would be irresponsible for him to quit! Didn't you read what his (few remaining) supporters are saying? He's doing it for us! And for Ukraine!

I will admit I forgot that Johnson is all about responsibility, in addition to being the greatest humanitarian mind of our time.

Listening to the BBC, it was hilarious hearing him bleating on about how his resignation is absolutely the wrong thing at this time, when there are so many crises in action -- all of them brought about largely, if not entirely, by himself. 

It would cause chaos if he were to resign, apparently. As opposed to the current situation of complete serenity and normality.

Rees-Mogg for Chancellor and Dorries for Home Secretary in the reshuffle then?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Listening to the BBC, it was hilarious hearing him bleating on about how his resignation is absolutely the wrong thing at this time, when there are so many crises in action -- all of them brought about largely, if not entirely, by himself. 

Only he can fix it! 

The Sun is saying that Boris will face down a vote of no confidence and is minded to fight it as "Parliament versus the people."

This is disturbing.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

To be fair, I don't think BoJo invaded Ukraine. Although I'm not even 100% sure on that.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

The Sun is saying that Boris will face down a vote of no confidence and is minded to fight it as "Parliament versus the people."

He’ll refuse to resign if he loses the confidence vote?  Or he thinks he’ll win a confidence vote?  If the latter… does he know where all the bodies are buried or something?

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He’ll refuse to resign if he loses the confidence vote?  Or he thinks he’ll win a confidence vote?  If the latter… does he know where all the bodies are buried or something?

I think he will refuse to resign, regardless of any vote in the Parliamentary Party, or the Commons.

In which case, he’ll have to be placed under arrest.  This is Last Days of Hitler level of insanity.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If he loses the no-confidence vote then he is no longer leader of the Conservative Party and no longer Prime Minister. He has no choice in that matter, he can be dragged out by the police. He can't call a general election at that point either.

The slogan does make no sense. My guess is he'll try to argue only he can win the 2024 election, but there's no way that will wash.

The 1922 committee seems to have told him that mathematically he can't win a no-confidence vote based on the letters and information they have right now, so there is zero point in holding the vote. But he wants to do it anyway.

There are some reports that his defiant tone was from earlier in the evening and the mood may have changed since.

16 minutes ago, mormont said:

Here's the problem: in saying that, you're saying it's the job of the head of state to make a judgement about the fitness of the PM. As I said, Liz does not agree. I don't either. If she does do that, we have a constitutional crisis that'll make today look like small beans.

Anyway, we shall see who's right if it comes to that. Meantime, I would speculate that Johnson might literally become unable to fill government positions very shortly.

I think it would cause a far greater constitutional crisis to support a PM who considers himself not to be bound by constitutional conventions.

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I just resigned. Not even British or a politician, but I can’t resist a fad.

Apparently it's not a real resignation unless you include a short essay summarising all your achievements which all these resignation letters seem to have.

Apparently Johnson told cabinet ministers earlier on that the resignations are irrelevant because "millions voted for him" and he answers to the public, not the Parliamentary party (never say that to the Tory Party, this is the mistake Thatcher made).

One cabinet minister has apparently now decided to resign as well. It's unknown which one, or if more will follow. The lack of any news suggests some sort of coordinated action may follow.

Some suggestion that whatever happens, Wallace (Defence Secretary) will remain in post due to the need to deal with the Ukraine situation on a day by day basis.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Apparently Johnson told cabinet ministers earlier on that the resignations are irrelevant because "millions voted for him" and he answers to the public, not the Parliamentary party (never say that to the Tory Party, this is the mistake Thatcher made).

One cabinet minister has apparently now decided to resign as well. It's unknown which one, or if more will follow. The lack of any news suggests some sort of coordinated action may follow.

Some suggestion that whatever happens, Wallace (Defence Secretary) will remain in post due to the need to deal with the Ukraine situation on a day by day basis.

More delusion.  Millions voted for hundreds of Conservative candidates.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The 1922 committee seems to have told him that mathematically he can't win a no-confidence vote based on the letters and information they have right now, so there is zero point in holding the vote. But he wants to do it anyway.

Typical Johnson though. Hang on in the hope that something turns up to save his skin.

10 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Apparently it's not a real resignation unless you include a short essay summarising all your achievements which all these resignation letters seem to have.

It's been the honour of my life to have served!

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

If he loses the no-confidence vote then he is no longer leader of the Conservative Party and no longer Prime Minister. He has no choice in that matter, he can be dragged out by the police. He can't call a general election at that point either.

Not true. He will no longer be party leader, but he’s still PM until either he resigns or the Queen dismisses him. David Allen Green did a good explanation here about what happens if he refuses to resign

https://davidallengreen.com/2022/07/what-if-boris-johnson-refuses-to-resign/

Just want to thank everyone for providing running commentary on this resignation bingo.  It's quite entertaining (the main event and the commentary).

I just hope the wool stays off people's eyes in future.

Just now, Sophelia said:

Just want to thank everyone for providing running commentary on this resignation bingo.  It's quite entertaining (the main event and the commentary).

I just hope the wool stays off people's eyes in future.

You mean he'll cut his hair?

Archived