UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

5 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I guess I should add the 3rd option  Boris declares himself dictator and has no need for a government,  [s]activates order 66 [/s] Asks Putin to help and we become a Russian vassal state?

*laughs nervously*

9 hours ago, SeanF said:

We're getting like Australia.

Oi! Leave us out of it. We haven't knifed a PM in... (checks wiki) nearly 4 years! The last one even hung around for a full term (unfortunately)! 

I guess Johnson is daring the 1922 committee to change its rules, and I guess Johnson thinks even if it does he might be able to bribe 50%+1 MPs to keep him on, since, "this Pincher thing isn't my fault at all, and it's just that small band of unhappy enemies trying to foment discord."

Johnson is only going if he's pushed and he might well believe there won't be enough people standing behind him willing to push even if they get to have another go at him.

Also (may have been mentioned eariler in the thread) I believe he needs to get to ~5 August to be PM for longer than Theresa May, and I can imagine his ego would never allow him to choose to have a shorter term as PM than May. So I imagine there is no way he would resign, even if he is willing to do so, before he gets to be PM at least 1 day longer than her.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Still, all of this is at least making a good case for what I've been saying for years, which is that this constitutional monarchy stuff is dangerous bullshit. Written constitutions have their issues but at least they don't leave you sitting aroung arguing over whether it's worse for an unelected 96 year old to throw out an overgrown toddler clinging to the desk at number 10 or for the PM to become in practice an elected dictator.

I'm not quite getting the point here ... 

As someone living in a constitutional monarchy, I think the problem you're spelling out here isn't about the monarchy, but a written vs an unwritten constitution?

Not sure what Johnson hopes to accomplish. His party have crossed the Rubicon. They can’t back down now without becoming a laughingstock.

The papers are against him. The people aren’t sending Tory MP’s emails by the thousand demanding they back Johnson, instead they’re telling them to get Borexit done.

The people aren’t protesting in London demanding Johnson stay, they’re at home watching the news with the popcorn out and a sparkling wine that may or may not hail from the Champagne region of France chilling in the fridge in anticipation.

Right and left alike in this thread are in agreement that he has to go. 

I'm conflicted because this is obviously a horrible mess that will have huge ramifications not just in the current breakdown of the governance of the United Kingdom but in the long term in how the whole thing functions and what changes are made in response to this situation, which could be good but may well make the structure worse...

...but it's also really, really fucking funny. 

They knew who he was...

Worth remembering how they pick their leader.

Their MPs thought he was one of their best two candidates. Then party members agreed that he was the chosen one. 

In other news congratulations to Michael Gove for a natural hattrick. Sacked from HMG by three PMs in a row. That has to be a record, right?

I think Boris’ logic seems to be that if he just resigns then he is definitely gone, but if he clings on there is a small (absolutely tiny) chance he can pull out some new popular policies or twist things enough that he can turn it all around.

Which is insane. And wrong. But also seems to have been his tactic for the past couple of years. That the Tories have been desperately trying to control the narrative on every story, but have been so utterly incompetent at it, is maybe the most telling part of all of this, because the narrative is what Boris actually cares about. He doesn’t want to be terrible leader who was kicked out for sleaze and general incompetence.. because that will ruin his chances of getting back on HIGNFY and into fancy parties. 

Archived