UK Politics: Johnson in a Pinch(er)

The thing with BJ is he appears to be the sort of person who demands total loyalty, while having non himself. 

As someone who has been told I'm 'stubborn to the point of insanity' myself, i can imagine he is fucking furious and seriously considering shafting all of his 'betrayers' and the party out of sheer spite. Which I for one am totally down with. 

It’s like Return of the Jedi, where Vader finally turns on Palpatine, but he’s managed to get hold of the side. He just won’t let go, and Vader can’t find anything long enough to dislodge him.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess Johnson is daring the 1922 committee to change its rules, and I guess Johnson thinks even if it does he might be able to bribe 50%+1 MPs to keep him on, since, "this Pincher thing isn't my fault at all, and it's just that small band of unhappy enemies trying to foment discord."

This is giving Johnson too much credit.

He's entirely focused, as previously noted, on just surviving in the hope that something turns up to save his neck. He'll say or do whatever it takes to get another day, another hour, another ten minutes.

If you've dealt with actual narcissists, this tactic will be familiar.

3 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I'm not quite getting the point here ... 

As someone living in a constitutional monarchy, I think the problem you're spelling out here isn't about the monarchy, but a written vs an unwritten constitution?

The term is generally used to describe the British constitutional arrangement, where the government, parliament and the judiciary are all constitutionally acting in the name and on behalf of the monarchy. In practice they are supposed to be independent of the Queen, but there's a reason there are crowns all over our institutions of state.

I notice that Michelle Donelan has resigned, but Nadim Zahawi hasn't. He's just published a letter saying that he told the PM to resign. Gove-style 'you should go but I should stay' energy.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

Resigning as leader, but not as PM.  That won’t be acceptable

The alternative is a few months of Dominic Raab leading the nation.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

The alternative is a few months of Dominic Raab leading the nation.

He’ll continue as PM until the autumn apparently. Once the Tories have a new leader, he’ll doubtless be gone or the party will empty his closet of every skeleton to the press.

15 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

He’ll continue as PM until the autumn apparently. Once the Tories have a new leader, he’ll doubtless be gone or the party will empty his closet of every skeleton to the press.

So I assume that means he’ll beat May’s days in office record?

1 minute ago, ants said:

So I assume that means he’ll beat May’s days in office record?

If he stays until Autumn, then yes, but there is apparently a growing sentiment in the Tories that he should stand aside immediately and let Dominic Raab serve as caretaker PM. 

It's a little hard to see how Johnson puts together a credible cabinet and ministerial team from the wreckage he has created over the last few days, to be fair. Can you realistically reappoint people who just resigned rather than work under you? Even as a stopgap?

Archived