Formula 1 2024

williamjm

On 2/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

I wonder if this is a case of Ford paying a big sponsorship fee to watch over the shoulder of the RB engineers as they continue to develop their existing engine platform (originally from Honda), or if this is a re-entry of the Cosworth engine.  The latter seems a big risk for RB to take (even with fuel changes ahead) while they are champions and have the best racing package, but that’s what makes F1 fun.

The current engine is still developed by Honda. It's just rebadged. The engine for 2026 is Red Bull's own development. Honda isn't evolved. Honda is developing a new engine, too. They will be competitors from 2026.

12 hours ago, Loge said:

The current engine is still developed by Honda. It's just rebadged. The engine for 2026 is Red Bull's own development. Honda isn't evolved. Honda is developing a new engine, too. They will be competitors from 2026.

That makes me wonder if McLaren could be eying a return to Honda. Obviously Honda are far superior now to during their previous alliance with McLaren and McLaren keenly want to effectively be a works team as they otherwise know it's unlikely they'll ever win a WC ever again. Also, if they don't, Honda won't have anyone to buy their engine!

The alternative, and maybe cannier, choice would be Aston Martin defecting to Honda.

That'll give us more engine suppliers than we've had in a long time, with Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull-Ford, Honda, Audi and Renault all in the mix, with only 10 or 11 teams to supply.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

That makes me wonder if McLaren could be eying a return to Honda. Obviously Honda are far superior now to during their previous alliance with McLaren and McLaren keenly want to effectively be a works team as they otherwise know it's unlikely they'll ever win a WC ever again. Also, if they don't, Honda won't have anyone to buy their engine!

The alternative, and maybe cannier, choice would be Aston Martin defecting to Honda.

That'll give us more engine suppliers than we've had in a long time, with Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull-Ford, Honda, Audi and Renault all in the mix, with only 10 or 11 teams to supply.

How would we explain to new American fans that Honda would produce an engine for McLaren or Aston Martin — purveyors of wildly expensive exotic sports cars of very high HP (McLaren especially)?  They’ll already be struggling with cognitive dissonance around Ford.

The Ferrari looks interesting. Almost everyone else has kinda copied last year's Red Bull.

In terms of the talk, Ferrari seem very confident, Aston Martin seem buoyant, even Williams seem happy, and McLaren's whole demeanour has been, "Oh shit." Which is encouraging.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Werthead said:

The Ferrari looks interesting. Almost everyone else has kinda copied last year's Red Bull.

In terms of the talk, Ferrari seem very confident, Aston Martin seem buoyant, even Williams seem happy, and McLaren's whole demeanour has been, "Oh shit." Which is encouraging.

With the first qualifying about to start Aston Martin seem to be what everyone is talking about. I think just about everyone apart from the Red Bull team will be hoping that Alonso really can put in a challenge for pole position.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That Alonso fella is looking pretty race-y.

My understanding is that along with acquiring Alonso, A-M made several notable personnel changes on the technical side in recent years. It looks like it might be paying dividends.  

I realise that due to the identity of the team owner it was never going to happen, but it would have been fascinating to have Alonso and Vettel driving together in a competitive Aston Martin.

In Q1 and Q2 the field looked very close, although Red Bull did pull ahead in Q3. It would have been interesting to see whether Le Clerc could have challenged for the front row if he did another run. Alonso didn't quite manage to challenge for pole but still a good qualifying result for him. Hopefully we have a competitive race tomorrow rather than Verstappen charging off into the distance.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I realise that due to the identity of the team owner it was never going to happen, but it would have been fascinating to have Alonso and Vettel driving together in a competitive Aston Martin.

In Q1 and Q2 the field looked very close, although Red Bull did pull ahead in Q3. It would have been interesting to see whether Le Clerc could have challenged for the front row if he did another run. Alonso didn't quite manage to challenge for pole but still a good qualifying result for him. Hopefully we have a competitive race tomorrow rather than Verstappen charging off into the distance.

Vettel in his prime maybe. I think he should have packed it in much sooner than he did.

It's pretty amazing the longevity of some of these guys. Time was you'd have maybe a decade at the top and you'd be past it. I suspect Alonso's as quick as ever; he just hasn't had the car to show it. 

Alonso was on fire there. Extremely impressive drive.

If Red Bull are that dominant all season, it could be a very dull championship. But Ferrari will be worried they're much closer to the Mercedes and Aston Martis than they are to the Red Bulls.

Williams also made a huge step up there.

I was going to make a snarky post yesterday that a more competitive Aston Martin would mean Lance Stroll’s destructive chaos would now be a hazard higher up the race order instead this year.  Why did I let my better self prevail?  One of the commandments of the internet is to get your snarky hot takes out there early.  In fairness to the guy, it was his own teammate who he shunted this time before driving a pretty clean race, but the others will be watching nervously on each opening lap for him to do what Russell was doing last year.

Alonso’s fight to the podium was a great spectacle so at least today wasn’t just a dull procession of RB competence.  I really don’t mind if Verstappen is too good for anyone else again (although it’s a long season and things rarely go that smoothly for anyone), provided there’s good competition elsewhere.  The relatively tight range of qualifying times yesterday across the entire grid bodes well for that.

A green Red Bull with the least green driver got my Driver of the Day vote and deservedly so.

Why didn't Hamilton push for fourth when he was in a position to do so for a long time? Deja Vu of lazt year's playing it safe strategy. 

Ferrari masterclass. 

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

Alonso was on fire there. Extremely impressive drive.

If Red Bull are that dominant all season, it could be a very dull championship. But Ferrari will be worried they're much closer to the Mercedes and Aston Martis than they are to the Red Bulls.

Williams also made a huge step up there.

The non-drs pass on Hamilton was pretty impressive. 

It was a great drive from Alonso. It would have been interesting to see if he could challenge Le Clerc for third if the Ferrari hadn't broken down, I'm not sure what the gap was behind Le Clerc when that happened. It was another one of those races where everyone most ignores Verstappen as he goes off and dominates at the front. Ferrari seem to be continuing last year's tendency to find ways to not deliver on the potential of their car, although even if everything had gone perfectly it's hard to see how they could challenge the Red Bulls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 1:23 PM, Raja said:

Having missed the first race completely my only reaction is that I cannot live in a world where Lawrence Stroll's team has a good car :crying:

He compensated for it today though

And RBCatering must have some really juicy steaks. Max was in a class of his own.