Formula 1 2024

williamjm

On 6/19/2023 at 5:29 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not going to try and argue this given I'm a noob with F1, but I will say that the depth of talent across sport has dramatically increased over the last 35 years as far as I can tell.

You are forgiven this one time, man. I have nothing against Verstappen but to suggest he has somehow equaled or eclipsed the heights of Senna demonstrates a glaring lack of knowledge of F1 history (the sport and the drivers).

There are loads of great Senna content out there but here is a good, if not obvious, place to start: https://pca.st/episode/8d2124ad-c18d-4f01-8278-b1d4c21ae5ad

The way F1 has moved since about the 98 season makes it really hard to compare the generations much further back than that. So much more in the way of reliability issues for a start. Even a dominant car back then had the odd issue with reliability and a lot of years there were times that any one from a top half team could pop up with a win out of nowhere. Plus there are so many more races now. For a long time I remember 16 races being the number every year now the calendar for next year is I think 24? 

1 hour ago, Scott_N said:

You are forgiven this one time, man. I have nothing against Verstappen but to suggest he has somehow equaled or eclipsed the heights of Senna demonstrates a glaring lack of knowledge of F1 history (the sport and the drivers).

There are loads of great Senna content out there but here is a good, if not obvious, place to start: https://pca.st/episode/8d2124ad-c18d-4f01-8278-b1d4c21ae5ad

He's probably going to dust Senna in five years. And I say that as some who thinks the doc on him is beautiful. 

Ricciardo is back! He will be replacing De Vries at AlphaTauri with immediate effect. And of course he must be thinking that if he can land and do well immediately (matching or exeeding Tsunoda), he might be in with a shot of replacing Perez, perhaps as soon as next year.

Drive to Survive must be particularly pleased.

Edited by Werthead

Red Bull suffers slightly in qualifying and the opening race laps from tires that are slow to warm up but their long term race pace and tire degradation means it doesn’t really matter if they lose some positions early on.

McLaren’s upgrade made a big (and welcome) splash at Silverstone.  Forget about failing to reach Q3 for five races in a row, Perez’ big fuck-up was his Monaco crash that exposed the underside of the car to the other teams. McLaren rushed through an upgrade that was able to mimic some of that design pretty effectively.

Aside from Verstappen winning so comfortably, this season has had a lot of fun variation along the grid as different teams have had ups and downs at different times.  AM, Merc, Ferrari and now McClaren have been the primary challengers at different points and looked lost at other points.  The midfield has lots of surprises and Williams are even scoring points. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

RB upgraded car arrives and Perez promptly crashes in practice so the underside of the car is exposed to all the competitors and their photographers.  That won’t help him keep his seat.

I thought it was just the sidepods changed

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I thought it was just the sidepods changed

No-one but RB knew that for sure.  We do know that the underside is a critical part of the airflow design concept, so now everyone got to see how the underside was adjusted to align with the visible changes. 

2 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Loved to see it.

Riccardo did well too.

He was just there man.

Looks like Checo will be retaining his seat. One more lap and Ham and Russell could have done their respective overtakes. Though Lucklack gifted the latter. Mercs were outperfomed by their drivers, and the low fuel beast was something else. McLaren remembering who tf they were was fun last few races but damn someone needs to kick the RB catering in the nuts. That 35 year old record seemed like nothing. Pity the sport. 

Norris breaking the sloth's trophy and acting naturally made my day lmao

Edited by TheLastWolf

7 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

He was just there man.

He qualified 13th, beat his teammate, in what is by all accounts a bad car. I call that a good start.

In the race he had some bad luck with that contact. But he made a great recovery with a mega 40 lap run on the medium tires. That reminds me of when he was with Renault.

1 hour ago, Lord of Oop North said:

He qualified 13th

And finished same, look at Russell 

beat his teammate

Oo, real tough competition for the Badger

in what is by all accounts a bad car

This season, you need more than 1 hand to list them

Especially with the rocketship ahead

In the race he had some bad luck with that contact. But he made a great recovery with a mega 40 lap run on the medium tires. That reminds me of when he was with Renault

By Ricciardo's standards, nowhere near his best. But forgivable given the long break and nerves and the gokart circuit and the shitbox which you pointed out.