What Are You Reading? Third Quarter, 2022

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

It's particularly loathsome on a's. Hearing people around here (I'm in Waukesha, btw) say "bag" with a long a makes my eye start twitching.

I'm in Waukesha regularly...I'll keep my ears open on that one...

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does anyone know of a reputable online used bookstore, preferably based in the US?

Not sure how reputable you'd consider it, but Half Price Books does have an online platform and is based in TX. I personally buy used books from them, but I go into their brick and mortar stores. The other one I use for used books is Abe Books which I know is reputable, but I'm not sure where their headquarters are located.

2 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

Not sure how reputable you'd consider it, but Half Price Books does have an online platform and is based in TX. I personally buy used books from them, but I go into their brick and mortar stores. The other one I use for used books is Abe Books which I know is reputable, but I'm not sure where their headquarters are located.

I called HPB and was told they didn't have a single copy of what I'm looking for in any store in the US. I'm trying to track down the last four Bond books Fleming wrote and I want them to have a certain cover art to complete the set. I bought the first 10 on Amazon without any issue, but the last four weren't available when I checked on Tuesday. Yesterday three of the four were there, but they were asking for more than two and half times what the other books cost. Then randomly last night two of them went back to the normal price so I grabbed them, but the other one is still at $35. The one I couldn't find on Amazon I found on a site associated with them, but it's going to take weeks to get here and frustratingly it's the next one in the series. 

:dunno:

On 9/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, Tywin et al. said:

it's going to take weeks to get here and frustratingly it's the next one in the series. 

You just might have to wait a few weeks. Being a ASOIAF fan, a few weeks is nothing! 

12 minutes ago, LongRider said:

You just might have to wait a few weeks. Being a ASOIAF fan, a few weeks is nothing! 

Lol, fair, but I'm slightly worried something odd happened here. Again, the first ten books with the specific cover art were easy to get on Amazon. I don't get why the last four disappeared and aren't in stock in any major chain bookstore I've called. Hopefully Live and Let Die arrives today, but it's flagged as potentially lost... 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, fair, but I'm slightly worried something odd happened here. Again, the first ten books with the specific cover art were easy to get on Amazon. I don't get why the last four disappeared and aren't in stock in any major chain bookstore I've called. Hopefully Live and Let Die arrives today, but it's flagged as potentially lost... 

They must be collectible, and folks are picking them out.  Either that every bookstore out there hates you and doesn't want you buying their books.  :ph34r:   I think it's just, you snooze you lose, there aren't that many copies of these old books out there.  

Ty also mentioned:  Hopefully Live and Let Die arrives today, but it's flagged as potentially lost... 

I used to work for the warehouse that had Alibris as a client and can't tell you how many books got lost in shipping.  Sometimes they would get found but not always.  Hope you book turns up.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

In addition to the sites already mentioned, there's Biblio, the online site for hundreds of bookstores (mostly used) across the world. Obviously some of the individual stores would be more "reputable" than others. When I buy from Biblio I normally limit myself to stores which have at least three stars out of five in user ratings, and normally have no trouble.

https://www.biblio.com/company/

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

They must be collectible, and folks are picking them out.  Either that every bookstore out there hates you and doesn't want you buying their books.  :ph34r:   I think it's just, you snooze you lose, there aren't that many copies of these old books out there.  

I used to work for the warehouse that had Alibris as a client and can't tell you how many books got lost in shipping.  Sometimes they would get found but not always.  Hope you book turns up.

I guess they just became collectables? I bought the first ten all in mostly in 2022. And it just dawned on me I bought the wrong book, lol.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

In addition to the sites already mentioned, there's Biblio, the online site for hundreds of bookstores (mostly used) across the world. Obviously some of the individual stores would be more "reputable" than others. When I buy from Biblio I normally limit myself to stores which have at least three stars out of five in user ratings, and normally have no trouble.

https://www.biblio.com/company/

Lol, I literally just grabbed a copy of what I was actually looking for, You Only Live Twice, from there, at twice the price. Guess there must be a run on these.

Still can't find a copy of The Man With the Golden Gun though...

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman - I'm told GRRM was inspired by this.:cheers: I can definitely see why! The reviews make it seems like it's  Richard III book, but I'm at the 2/3rd point where it's pretty much a lot characters, notably Edward IV, plus Richard. The author seems to be a a Yorkist since the Lancastrians are always depicted as cruel. I mean, is there even any source that says Edward of Lancaster sexually abused his wife? AFAIK, there isn't and there's even some doubt whether their marriage was even consummated. There's so much bias it's hard for me to like it.  

12 hours ago, LongRider said:

But you could tell us by how much your personal library grew during that time. :D

10 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But you could tell us by how much your personal library grew during that time. :D

It did, and then when I moved many went to the thrift shops.  One of the reasons I rarely buy books now is I just don't want a lot of books anymore. 

20 minutes ago, LongRider said:

It did, and then when I moved many went to the thrift shops.  One of the reasons I rarely buy books now is I just don't want a lot of books anymore. 

:crying:

One of my life goals is to have a study in a mansion that requires a ladder to grab certain books. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

One of my life goals is to have a study in a mansion that requires a ladder to grab certain books. 

Damn it!  That's why the books went to the thrift shop.  I forgot to buy a mansion!     :bang:

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

After graduating college, I lived in my college town for a few years and occasionally worked for a friend's restaurant/catering company when he needed help. During an event we did at a professor's house, my friend pointed at the door to the library and said I needed to go check it out. It was all floor to ceiling bookshelves full of books, complete with a desk built into the middle of them at one point and rolling ladders for retrieving books from the highest shelves.

My favorite part was watching the guests at the party, most of whom were visiting professors and scholars from other institutions, walk in and gape in awe and envy at the room.

Finished The Spy Who Loved Me last night. Fleming reportedly hated this book and tried like hell to not let it see the light of day after its first run. I think that just goes to show how much times have changed. The book was apparently banned in a number of countries because of its sexual nature, yet by 2022 standards it's barely PG. It's the only book that's 100% not from Bond's perspective, and the female narrator, Viv, basically just goes from not wanting to have sex with her first BF to being excited at the idea of having a one night stand with Bond. Otherwise there isn't much there compared to the rather violent second and third acts, but again, a woman described coming around to liking sex in the early 60's, so ban that shit immediately! 

Archived