Ukraine #17: Is There Life on HIMARS?

Werthead

An interesting thread that describes why the Russians, despite designing and building some independently impressive armaments, have struggled to use them effectively in this invasion.  This is mainly a result of poor integration.

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

An interesting thread that describes why the Russians, despite designing and building some independently impressive armaments, have struggled to use them effectively in this invasion.  This is mainly a result of poor integration.

I just got finished reading that thread. It is interesting.

Three German MARS launchers, along with 4 additional US HIMARs systems were announced to have arrived and entered service in Ukraine.  I believe that brings the number of launchers (remember that MARS and M270 systems have two launchers, whereas HIMARS have one) up from 22 to 32.  I think that very soon (if not already) the limiting factor for Ukraine is going to be the supply of rockets, not the number of launchers.  Because those systems can realistically launch, relocate, pickup a new rocket cache, rearm and refire approximately once an hour under real world conditions.  If you assume these are in service 10 hours per day, that would be 320 rocket pods (1,920 individual targeted rockets) per day.  The exact number of these rockets available is difficult to pin down, but it is extremely unlikely that NATO is going to be giving Ukraine 10k of these rocket pods every month. 

EDIT:  In other news, the first grain shipment left Odessa.  Hopefully the first of many, many in the next month.  But most observers expect that the deal will only remain in place for a short time before Russia decides it is better to reimpose the blockade. 

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think that very soon (if not already) the limiting factor for Ukraine is going to be the supply of rockets, not the number of launchers.

Hopefully it will be the supply of Russian invaders soon.

In all sincerity what is the deal with Tankies?  They want to scream to the rooftops about “Western Imperialist Evil”.  They want to go on ad nauseum about all the horrible things the West has done.  How does any of that excuse or make justified Russian actions in Ukraine?  How is Russia not actively engaged in an imperialist venture right now that these folks… purportedly… abhore?  Do Tankies not see the inherently contradiction in their apologia for the Russians?

From the NYT by way of yahoo

How the Kremlin Is Forcing Ukrainians to Adopt Russian Life

They have handed out Russian passports, cellphone numbers and set-top boxes for watching Russian television. They have replaced Ukrainian currency with the ruble, rerouted the internet through Russian servers and arrested hundreds who have resisted assimilation.

Now comes the next act in President Vladimir Putin’s 21st-century version of a war of conquest: the grassroots “referendum.”

Russia-appointed administrators in towns, villages and cities like Kherson in Ukraine’s south are setting the stage for a vote as early as September that the Kremlin will present as a popular desire in the region to become part of Russia. They are recruiting pro-Russia locals for new “election commissions” and promoting to Ukrainian civilians the putative benefits of joining their country; they are even reportedly printing the ballots already.

Forget the video of the rocket hitting the HIMARS on the second story of that building, for maximum excitement and entertainment, I want to see the video of the HIMARS driving up into the second story of that building.

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Forget the video of the rocket hitting the HIMARS on the second story of that building, for maximum excitement and entertainment, I want to see the video of the HIMARS driving up into the second story of that building.

Stop pitching ideas here, or do you want to see Michael Bay making another one of those awful Transformer movies?

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In all sincerity what is the deal with Tankies?  They want to scream to the rooftops about “Western Imperialist Evil”.  They want to go on ad nauseum about all the horrible things the West has done.  How does any of that excuse or make justified Russian actions in Ukraine?  How is Russia not actively engaged in an imperialist venture right now that these folks… purportedly… abhore?  Do Tankies not see the inherently contradiction in their apologia for the Russians?

The kindly explanation is cowardice. 

The real explanation is that they've lost all perspective in their quest to be morally superior to the rest of the world.

Either way, I say appeaser to all of them. 

Pacifism is for times of peace and plenty. It deserves no special consideration at all if its promotion prerequisites abdication of personal/group liberties in the face of armed subjugation. 

7 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

The kindly explanation is cowardice. 

The real explanation is that they've lost all perspective in their quest to be morally superior to the rest of the world.

Either way, I say appeaser to all of them. 

Pacifism is for times of peace and plenty. It deserves no special consideration at all if its promotion prerequisites abdication of personal/group liberties in the face of armed subjugation. 

Tankies aren’t pacifists. They actively approve of non-Western imperialism.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

95% of this I think is down to simple contrarianism and going against the grain of popular opinion. This can be used to explain just about everything these days. It doesn't matter what facts, logic and precedent you bring to the discussion, they will simply kneejerk disagree with everything you say and make things up to support their position. They are immune to reason.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In all sincerity what is the deal with Tankies?

They’re just fascists who interject more leftist rhetoric occasionally, though many have steadily dropped the leftist rhetoric for more overt praises of far right nationalists and western imperialism when directed to indigenous folk in the america’s

The reason why they back Russia ultimately is because it’s the the type of state of government they’d live under. They hate liberal democracies and think anything socially progressive or liberal as degenerate. 

I don't know what the fuck warranted 24 HIMARS in a single barrage but I suspect the Russians on the other end did not enjoy it.

Meanwhile, Russia's own rocket artillery seems to be developing more and more problems.

Archived