UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

28 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

How can you have a PM that resigns but somehow still has the confidence of the House to stay on as PM.

What the fuck?

He pulled a Kenney.

Hey, BJ, when you resign, you resign! You’re not retiring because your doctor just gave you some grim news, so you’re helping out the guys until they pick a replacement. You name a temp and walk out. 

Can you do nothing right?

50 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

I think he mostly has confidence in himself. All others seem to have lost it (well, barring Nadine Dorries).

Jacob Rees Mogg has confidence in him, too.

He says he will never serve in anyone else's cabinet.  That's a bit like my saying I will never date Anya Chalotra.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Jacob Rees Mogg has confidence in him, too.

He says he will never serve in anyone else's cabinet.  That's a bit like my saying I will never date Anya Chalotra.

If your two supporters are JRM and Nadine, you're so screwed it wouldn't make it into fiction.

What an epitah to carry.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Summary of that speech: I have not failed, I have been failed.

We were not worthy of him, in the same way the German people were unworthy of their Fuhrer.

I read this Twitter thread in hopes of understanding all of this better... it's in English, I think, but I know I'm more confused than ever over how all of this is going down, but not why. British politics, when will there be a West Wing style show for us Yanks to watch in BBC America...?

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A Kenney?  BTW what is “Checkers”?

Where did you see mention of "Checkers"?

In this context it seems likely to be a reference to Richard Nixon's infamous "Checkers speech" when his position as Eisenhower's running mate was threatened by allegations of impropriety.

Yet -- he still is not leaving!  

Boris Johnson is to resign as Conservative leader but will push to stay on as prime minister until the autumn, prompting a backlash from some Tory MPs who say he has to go now.

Come the autumn such irrelevancies as walk out and resignation shall have faded out of memory, and still there I be in numero 10 just as I've always been and always shall be.

Just wanted to echo what Mormont said in the previous thread regarding people commenting on UK politics that do not live here; it doesn't lessen their contributions to the thread or their criticism.

Archived