UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's a low bar to clear but it comes to something when Shapps has immediately become the most favourable candidate to me just by being the only one so far, as far as I can tell, to responding to the culture war bullshit with 'yeah this is bullshit'. 

Yeah, but what does Corinne Stockheath have to say one the matter? Eh? Eh?

Sunak's status as a tax-avoiding billionaire is going to come back to haunt him. 

As we saw when his wife's non-dom status was exposed, he doesn't do well under pressure. He will fold like a cheap pair of trousers once the tough questions begin. And there will be questions. 

Labour calls for investigation into Boris Johnson’s private meeting with ex-KGB agent Alexander Lebedev

Labour has called for an urgent Cabinet Office investigation into Boris Johnson’s meeting with an ex-KGB agent two days after attending a high-level Nato summit that focused on Russia.

The deputy leader Angela Rayner and shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper have written to the newly appointed chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Kit Malthouse, to demand a full investigation into a matter they say exhibits a “shocking disregard for national security”. They warn that if Johnson is found to have breached national security, he must leave Downing Street immediately and “face the full consequences of the law”.

The snowball is growing. It's looking like he might actually be held to account over this.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's a low bar to clear but it comes to something when Shapps has immediately become the most favourable candidate to me just by being the only one so far, as far as I can tell, to responding to the culture war bullshit with 'yeah this is bullshit'. 

The Tories relying on ‘culture war bullshit’ is sign of extreme weakness, something like the trans issue is a topic they can easily get Labour and leftists to say things that make them look completely out of touch with reality , it’s an easy win. But it just shows how little else of substance most Tories have going for them. Very few have any tangible plans or ideas on how to shape the UK, that’s the whole problem.

Not sure Schapps is any better than other Tories in that regard 

Apparently Zahawi's actively being investigated by HMRC which'll probably help Sunak I think. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that Sunak did anything outside the rules, just standard rich people tax avoidance bollocks, if Zahawi's actually done something dodgy that'll probably draw away the focus on that.

There was a bit of reference to 'dirty dossiers' on S&M and other things being in use on one of the politics shows this morning so now I'm wondering what Ben Wallace has been up to to drop out of the race when he was the favourite.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The Tories relying on ‘culture war bullshit’ is sign of extreme weakness, something like the trans issue is a topic they can easily get Labour and leftists to say things that make them look completely out of touch with reality , it’s an easy win. But it just shows how little else of substance most Tories have going for them. Very few have any tangible plans or ideas on how to shape the UK, that’s the whole problem.

Not sure Schapps is any better than other Tories in that regard 

I'm sorry, but who are you and what have you done with HeartofIce?

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm sorry, but who are you and what have you done with HeartofIce?

Lol, I mean I’m not really a fan of the Tories, never have been. Doesn’t mean I don’t agree with some of these policies, I sometimes do. just that they are obviously weaponised, not sure anyone disputes that, that people fall for it is the thing that baffles me.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently Zahawi's actively being investigated by HMRC

I wonder how many incoming Secretaries of State have been investigated by the departments they are about to take over, before they've even unpacked their bags.

The Civil Service is running things right now, and, it would appear, enacting some level of revenge for all the Tory bullshit.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

The Civil Service is running things right now, and, it would appear, enacting some level of revenge for all the Tory bullshit.

Not sure this should be regarded as a good thing. An actual deep state beyond democratic control that resists any level of change shouldnt be applauded 

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not sure this should be regarded as a good thing. An actual deep state beyond democratic control that resists any level of change shouldnt be applauded 

I think a civil service being able to investigate an incoming boss for behavior going against the rules needed for his job is a sign of a very robust democracy 

33 minutes ago, kiko said:

I think a civil service being able to investigate an incoming boss for behavior going against the rules needed for his job is a sign of a very robust democracy 

Maybe, but a civil service that gets to choose it’s own boss, and decide which government edicts to follow and which to ignore is not robust democracy 

Is there really any serious suggestion that the civil service are choosing which edicts to follow? Which bosses have they actually chosen?

Actually to answer my own question, there have been such suggestions, for example Patel claiming all sorts of things about the civil service in an attempt to justify her bullying of them. (And of course Johnson kept her on, allowing her to continue to bully and signalling to other ministers that they could get away with doing the same.) But I wouldn't classify any of these suggestions as "serious".

But it is of course part of the growing "stab in the back" myth. Relentless sabotage by the closet remain supporting civil service is the reason why Brexit is not being successful.

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe, but a civil service that gets to choose it’s own boss, and decide which government edicts to follow and which to ignore is not robust democracy 

This seems to be the reverse. Its the civil service making the ministers accountable under the laws they passed. 

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently Zahawi's actively being investigated by HMRC which'll probably help Sunak I think. There doesn't seem to be any suggestion that Sunak did anything outside the rules, just standard rich people tax avoidance bollocks, if Zahawi's actually done something dodgy that'll probably draw away the focus on that.

There was a bit of reference to 'dirty dossiers' on S&M and other things being in use on one of the politics shows this morning so now I'm wondering what Ben Wallace has been up to to drop out of the race when he was the favourite.

My suspicion is Ben Wallace is saving his powder for the post-2024 election. 

8 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Sure, but consider how polished and ready Rishi Sunak's leadership campaign is, it's pretty clear that his knives have been sharpened for this moment in advance. 

Yeah, but Zahawi made total fool out of him. He basically strongarmed Bozo to give him the chancellor post, and not even 24 hours later he went back to Bozo and said: Well, thank you. Now you can exit stage, please. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

In other news Mordaunt decided to join the race. I just hope she times her implosion right for the UK Politics. The Penny dropped thread.

Otherwise you'd be In for the Penny in for the pounding.

Those lame puns write themselves. On that base alone she would make a sound choice for PM. 

On the subject of Penny, we've finally found someone who's offended at being accused of being a nice person.
On the other hand, no surprise that it's a Tory leadership candidate... Well, surprise that any of them would be accused of such a thing, I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/10/penny-mordaunt-hits-back-at-woke-tag-as-she-joins-tory-leadership-race

ETA, Isee they've changed the headline and intro, was originally:
"Penny Mordaunt hits back at work tag asshe joins leadership race"
"Trade minister addresses trans issue, saying opponents 'want to damage my reputation' "

Archived