UK Politics: the moment of truth, or possibly untruth

mormont

12 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Sure, but consider how polished and ready Rishi Sunak's leadership campaign is, it's pretty clear that his knives have been sharpened for this moment in advance. 

Not sure if it came up here, but someone pointed out that Rishi's "Ready for Rishi" domain name and website were registered last year.

Michael Gove has thrown his weight behind Kemi Badenoch, which is a bit of a surprise. I tend to quite like her, I like the way she talks on issues and she will be a good minister in the future, she seems young and inexperienced though (for some reason it seems shes 42, I thought she was about 25! I need some of what she is taking) and so I doubt she would actually get it. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/michael-gove-backs-kemi-badenoch-to-be-the-next-prime-minister-1734747

'On taxes, the vast majority of them served in Boris Johnson's government. They went out every day for months and years to defend his behaviour, they backed everyone one of his 15 tax rises. But they're behaving as if they just arrived from the moon.'

Keir Starmer should never stop beating this drum. 

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

'On taxes, the vast majority of them served in Boris Johnson's government. They went out every day for months and years to defend his behaviour, they backed everyone one of his 15 tax rises. But they're behaving as if they just arrived from the moon.'

Keir Starmer should never stop beating this drum. 

He should put his money where his mouth is and table his much-heralded VONC. 

On 7/10/2022 at 3:34 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

My suspicion is Ben Wallace is saving his powder for the post-2024 election. 

That seems unlikely.

Serious leadership candidates don't do that as often as people seem to think. Partly because it's highly risky: that future vacancy might not come up (if the winner of this contest does well), or by then your chance might have gone, or a better challenger might have arisen. It's also the case that if this was Wallace's strategy, he'd be better off doing what a bunch of others are doing in this crowded field by gathering support and raising his profile before trading his successes in for a top Cabinet job. He could be Foreign Secretary very easily.

Only two things make sense here: either he already has a deal with one of the other candidates, or there is a serious barrier to him actually becoming leader.

Sajid Javid (on propping up Johnson and his policies while in cabinet):

Perhaps I should have left earlier. But I didn’t see anyone else leave any earlier than me.

:ack:

They are all tainted. Every single one of them.

Just another lying, crooked cunt.

Q: Where were you domiciled for tax purposes when you were a non-dom? And have you ever made use of tax havens?

Javid says he has been transparent and open about this. When he worked as a banker, he lived and worked abroad. He had a tax adviser. The test was to make sure that what he did was correct and proper and within all the rules. He has never had an issue with HMRC, and never had an issue with the tax authorities.

Q: Where have you been domiciled for tax purposes?

Javid says before he became an MP he worked abroad in various countries. He says he does not want to get into any more detail about his tax affairs then because he was not in public life at that point.

23 minutes ago, Raja said:

We go again.

Good for them, though I don't know why they don't just say we are on strike every other day indefinitely until we get what we want. Rather than doing it in a way that people/the economy can work around. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Good for them, though I don't know why they don't just say we are on strike every other day indefinitely until we get what we want. Rather than doing it in a way that people/the economy can work around. 

Because that would seriously undermine their leverage? The point of a strike IS to demonstrate your value by virtue of the disruption to people/the economy that your striking causes. 

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

What a car crash lol

What the fuck did I just watch? She makes Nadine seem prepared. 

16 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Because that would seriously undermine their leverage? The point of a strike IS to demonstrate your value by virtue of the disruption to people/the economy that your striking causes. 

Shutting down the economy for a couple of weeks would certainly demonstrate their value. My point is it wouldn't get to that if they set their stall our hard from the start, the current way, people can work around. 

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The point at which you turn public opinion against you when striking is probably quite fragile, I doubt there would be a lot of support for the strikers if they really messed up peoples lives 

Archived