Thor: Love and Thunder [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

I just saw it. It was enjoyable but not as good as Ragnarok. It was really short, with only a few scenes really allowed to breathe. 

The screaming giant goats delivered the best humorous moments, especially when they take the ship straight into that small planetoid. There was a lot of good humor overall. It was great that Daryl had a cameo.

Christian Bale was great, and the best part about the dramatic stuff.

I don't know what their intent is with the Valhalla thing, but I am annoyed that Jane Foster's return has been so short lived. The movie could have some added length by giving a few more scenes to Natalie Portman.

Russell Crowe was funny, but he should stop doing European accents. I guess he was going for Greek, but it sounded dreadful half the time. Hercules looked unimpressive, made me think of that Immortals movie.

Honestly, the weakest parts for me were the action scenes. Somehow the music choices didn't quite jive and none of the actors except Bale really looked like they were into them. 

On 7/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Then why is his original name Astrid, which is exclusively given to girls?

Since there's nothing that indicates he's trans, I imagine someone just went to a Scandinavian-sounding name and didn't realize they had one that was given only to girls.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Russell Crowe was funny, but he should stop doing European accents. I guess he was going for Greek, but it sounded dreadful half the time. Hercules looked unimpressive, made me think of that Immortals movie.

I'm pretty sure Crowe's accent was supposed to be bad.

And yeah, Hercules doesn't look impressive now, but I'm pretty sure they'll have him bulk up until his next appearance.

I saw the film this evening. I liked it, although not as good as Ragnarok. I think after all the multiversal shenanigans in the previous two MCU movies it was good to have a comparatively simple story. I thought the prologue did a good job of setting up Gor's motivation, although the film then doesn't do much interesting with him until the ending, I did like that they managed to persuade the villain to stop rather than just resolving the conflict by hitting him. The humour is a bit hit-and-miss and not as many hits as in Ragnarok but still had some fun moments. I liked that they included some of the weirder bits of Norse mythology like Thor's chariot being pulled by goats. 

I loved it. My favorite MCU film and that is saying something as I really was surprised by how much I liked the last Spiderman. Definitely stoked for Thor 5 if Taika gets to imbue Thor with his directorial voice again. 

I also wonder whether people were paying attention throughout the film, as a few of the common complaints don't make a lot of sense:

1. It is clearly stated that only the first person to reach Eternity can make a wish and that it is limited to 1
2. Thor never empowered others before because he could not do so without Zeus' bolt (which is why the kids all had powers that were color coded along the lines of Zeus and not Thor)

I loved the humor, I loved the whacky tone and I applaud this film for actually having a good villain for once. I was waiting for Gor's "equivalent to Killmonger's "Chocking-an-old-lady" moment in Black Panther and it never came. Freed from the corrupting influence of the sword, Thor & Jane appealed to his better nature and it won. That's very inspiring and a great deal better than an IS style decapitation to take care of the big bad.

I enjoyed it a lot but I got the same sense I got from the Doctor Strange sequel where it feels like a lot was cut from the film.  Gorr gets his sword and then we just don’t see him kill any gods.  We just see the distress signals the Guardians get.  And then Thor and friends go to recruit other gods but they only try once, fail, and then just don’t go anywhere else to try again. 

28 minutes ago, briantw said:

I enjoyed it a lot but I got the same sense I got from the Doctor Strange sequel where it feels like a lot was cut from the film.  Gorr gets his sword and then we just don’t see him kill any gods.  We just see the distress signals the Guardians get.  And then Thor and friends go to recruit other gods but they only try once, fail, and then just don’t go anywhere else to try again. 

I haven't seen it yet (don't care about spoilers), but I get the sense that COVID and other delays have really, really screwed up the road map for phase 4. And that there's been all kinds of last minute edits and rewrites to keep continuity intact and not reference/rely on movies that haven't released yet. Doctor Strange was screwed over by being originally planned to come out before No Way Home, and something happened with Loki too.

With Thor, my guess is that the big issue is that GotG 3 still hasn't come out due to the saga of James Gunn getting fired and then re-hired, but that Thor was was originally going to be a follow-up to it. But with Thor coming first, they wanted to be careful to not upset the Guardians status quo too much before it's movie releases.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

They did cut out a lot, Grandmaster, Eitri the giant weapon making guy, Lena Headey's character. I know from set pictures they filmed a scene of Jane actually gaining her powers too.

I does seem like a miss opportunity that they just did a show that introduced a bunch of gods and didn't sneak in a mention of the God Butcher. My main fear going into this movie was that he'd kill the hippo. 

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

2. Thor never empowered others before because he could not do so without Zeus' bolt (which is why the kids all had powers that were color coded along the lines of Zeus and not Thor)

Ah, that was me who didn't get that. Does that make sense though? He does give them "the power of Thor (for a limited time only) right? So why would Zeus' lightning bolt factor into it?

Hold on.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lena-headey-sued-troika-agent-1235305098/

Troika, which re-branded as YMU in 2020, claims Headey owes the agency at least $500,000 — equivalent to 7% of her fee — for her earnings on the Marvel movie.

So, she got paid $7.1 million for T:L&T and she isn't even in the movie? Thats got to be more than just a cameo I'm thinking.

I don't think Asguardians naming a boy Astrid is that weird? Like they named Slyvie Loki. They also named Aligator Loki Loki, I guess  They presumably just ...don't care? Which is pretty cool.

Different franchise, but Star Trek has a woman named Micheal and no one bats an eye.  

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hold on.

So, she got paid $7.1 million for T:L&T and she isn't even in the movie? Thats got to be more than just a cameo I'm thinking.

I read somewhere that they were basing that on her rate for starring in a movie or whatever. Supposedly that's her old agency and they had no idea what she was actually paid. It seems really unlikely she was paid that much for a scene or two. 

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I read somewhere that they were basing that on her rate for starring in a movie or whatever. Supposedly that's her old agency and they had no idea what she was actually paid. It seems really unlikely she was paid that much for a scene or two. 

I dunno. This thing had a lot of reshoots.

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

That's more than she made on entire seasons of Game of Thrones, so probably unlikely.  

55 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hold on.

A Goddess. Hopefully not Hera. Athena would be cool. 7.1 million was definitely a role. Maybe they're testing interest in Heracles as a property, holding back a bit. Marvel has nothing but money and a deep library to throw at the wall.

It would be cool to see Disney and Marvel pay that down the line to the creatives.    

17 minutes ago, JGP said:

A Goddess. Hopefully not Hera. Athena would be cool. 7.1 million was definitely a role. Maybe they're testing interest in Heracles as a property, holding back a bit. Marvel has nothing but money and a deep library to throw at the wall.

It would be cool to see Disney and Marvel pay that down the line to the creatives.    

Grain of salt, but I read she was the new head Valkarie and King Valkarie's love interest. It's easy to imagine a version of the attack on New Asgard where there are some minor character deaths and Mighty Thor gets a proper origin moment. 

Sif seems to have taken her role at the end training their warriors. 

If that's the case they should stick with that. King Valkyrie deserves a solo, and Lena can sell anything. Not sure about more Sif unless she's been grudging Loki.    

53 minutes ago, JGP said:

I've been seeing some stuff referring to posts on the VFX subreddit. Marvel sounds a lot like Tesla.  

https://www.thegamer.com/marvel-mcu-vfx-artists-deadlines-crunch-stress/

ETA: Tesla experiences a fair amount of turnover in engineering because of burnout from what I've heard. I trust the source, who likely could have gotten a job there had he chosen to apply but never did. Too many first hand horror stories for his liking. 

That explains some things.

If good ones are opting out that's no good. These artists are valuable, they'll have homes so long as there are other clients, and a smaller pool for Marvel.

Ms Marvel's fx have been pretty bad.    

Archived