Thor: Love and Thunder [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

‘Change the multiverse in such way that Jane Foster isn't mortally ill and my daughter doesn't die.'

That’s the problem right there though isn’t it. I don’t see the issue, if Eternity is a god then they can judge however they like what constitutes one wish, they don’t need to publish their logic on the matter. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So, and feel free to knock this down if I'm missing something (that movie was a lot); what was stopping Thor + Stormbreaker from opening a portal to Eternity before the climax of this film?  Like, any time post Infinity War. What would he wish for? A few possibilities come to mind...

Yea this occurred to me … I was hoping I’d missed something too, as he could’ve gone years ago and said “I wish I’d aimed for Thanos’ head”.

So I decided to go back and rewatch Thor: The Dark World. This is a film that I always thought was underrated but very often ends up near the bottom of many MCU film rankings I've seen published.

Ya know, it's not great, it can be a bit clunky at times, but I think it's pretty good. It could be a bit more colorful (as could a lot of MCU films), but the visuals and cinematography are on a different planet compared to a lot of MCU fare. Most of the VFX is truly impressive. 

It has some genuine emotional moments, like Friga's death.  This was exploited to great effect in Avengers: Endgame; probably my favorite scene from that movie. It doesn't have a lot of humor compared to later films, but the jokes mostly land with good effect. This film reminded me how important Loki is in those films. 

I still think the whole Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings aspects of the film are great. The Dark Elves attack on Asgard is a great sequence; as is the escape from Asgard.

There are definitely MCU films I'd place lower on the list for a potential rewatch. I dunno. This feels more like a real movie to me. 

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There are definitely MCU films I'd place lower on the list for a potential rewatch. I dunno. This feels more like a real movie to me. 

Incredible Hulk is way worse for me, on account of Norton and Tyler having no chemistry. Both their performances fall flat and the film has no life at all.

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Incredible Hulk is way worse for me, on account of Norton and Tyler having no chemistry. Both their performances fall flat and the film has no life at all.

I enjoyed it well enough in the theater but I haven't seen it in a long time. But yeah, Norton wasn't quite the right guy for that role. Ruffalo is a much better Bruce Banner. Also the character design wasn't quite there. Better than Ang Lee's Hulk but not quite what they nailed in Avengers. And I swear the look of Hulk changes in some scenes. 

I don't think there are any BAD MCU movies. Marvel is very good at keeping a bare minimum level of quality. Hulk is probably near the bottom of any list, but I think there is an overwhelming majority of movies that fit in that 'meh.. that was ok' category, and a handful of really good ones.

I actually really like parts of the Hulk. I think the opening portion with Bruce running away from his life was good, a good throwback to the old tv show. I used to love the sequence where Hulk smashes up the tank, I think the effects there were really good and felt grounded and real, something that can't be said about modern MCU movies.  Tim Roth is very watchable..

But it really falls apart at the end, the Abomination fight is.. an abomin.. it's not good. Its a big cgi mess and was not compelling. Bit of a shame, but of course the more modern version of the Hulk is a lot better.

I even think there is a lot to like in Thor:Dark World, its just that there is a disproportionate amount of crappiness in there too. Same could be said for Iron Man 2 & 3.

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Apparently the initial cut of the film was 4 hours long...

I for one would love to see a director’s cut of it.  There seemed like there was a lot of meat left on the bone.  

14 hours ago, JGP said:

I kind of think it was a mistake to trot out Eternity this early. We more or less just got a Watcher, Celestials, a multiverse. I also saw the Galactus' sihouette before Eternity's full reveal. This tease stop gap abrupt other reveal is getting old. I saw the most recent Thor movie but not very interested in the next one. Thor got a happy ending for now but they do play up the losses he's had, this background ennui. Maybe his kid is all he needs and this is a surprise send off. Retire the jersey.  

I don’t know.  Hemsworth seems to be having the time of his life as Thor, and Love & Thunder certainly didn’t seem like a send-off for the character.  Hemsworth is practically the face of the MCU at this point with RDJ and Evans gone and Taika finally unlocked the full potential of the character. 

Honestly, everyone seems to be having a great time making these Thor movies.  Bale and Crowe were hamming it up too. 

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't think there are any BAD MCU movies. Marvel is very good at keeping a bare minimum level of quality. Hulk is probably near the bottom of any list, but I think there is an overwhelming majority of movies that fit in that 'meh.. that was ok' category, and a handful of really good ones.

I would agree with this, only some of them are very, very, "meh". It gets to the point where, if I ever bother to rewatch them, I just surf the action and comedy beats. Some of them I never bothered to rewatch. 

I actually really like parts of the Hulk. I think the opening portion with Bruce running away from his life was good, a good throwback to the old tv show. I used to love the sequence where Hulk smashes up the tank, I think the effects there were really good and felt grounded and real, something that can't be said about modern MCU movies.  Tim Roth is very watchable..

William Hurt is also quite menacing as General Ross. This film also had a lot of location shooting. The stuff they shot in Rio was great. 

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I like Iron Man 3. I never got the hate for it. I also like most of Shane Black's other movies though. Except that recent Predator  movie. 

The only real hate for IM3 I remember was from comic book fans complaining about the Trevor Slattery character. I thought he was great. The movie was OK. It also the inspiration for one of my favorite HISHE moments. Still makes me laugh. 

I will say though, I remember watching the mansion attack and thinking, "wow, this looks like shit."

41 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I like Iron Man 3. I never got the hate for it. I also like most of Shane Black's other movies though. Except that recent Predator  movie. 

I think it's the ending that tends to spoil it. I liked the low key stuff. The ending was really silly and Guy Pearce was a bad villain.

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

That’s the problem right there though isn’t it. I don’t see the issue, if Eternity is a god then they can judge however they like what constitutes one wish, they don’t need to publish their logic on the matter. 

Sure enough. But the movie doesn't establish that something like that doesn't work. And it is silly and childish that the characters don't think this through, either.

I mean, these people are sitting there, bonding with each other, realizing their mistakes ... and they still don't consider the implications of that one wish and how it might be use to resolve all their problems.

In context - the evil sword may be possessing the villain there ... but just because a couple of gods sucked and deserved to die, others might still have the divine powers to bring his daughter back. Why not force them to try to do this before you slaughter them? I mean, sure, you would always slaughter them, anyway, but you could at least try to get something out of the whole enterprise other than dead gods.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Eternals?

That movie seemed like such a strange swing that pretty badly missed the mark. I wouldn't be surprised if it basically gets excised from the MCU continuity.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Eternals?

That movie seemed like such a strange swing that pretty badly missed the mark. I wouldn't be surprised if it basically gets excised from the MCU continuity.

Gasp!

You put Salma Hayek in your film and the scale starts at 6/10. Those are the rules. It is known.

Count me among the "meh not shit" crowd on that one. That film needed to be a bit more economical in terms of exposition and sub plots. The whole thing could have been just s little tighter IMO. Some good visuals though. Especially the ones that include Salma Hayek. 

Try to blame me. 

Eternals would've been a better movie outside the MCU trappings. Just too much has to be hand waved away to explain why they were sitting on the sidelines through most of the other world-ending events. At the very least, they should've realized Thanos' ship had appeared during Endgame and gone to prevent a re-snappening.

I say that knowing it would've thrown a monkey wrench in the middle of the movie and would've made no sense narratively. But if they're part of the greater universe, then they should be part of the greater universe.

(And I also know that the comics does this too. Every hero can't show up to every other title when things get rough every month... (or now biweekly! during the 90's))

Eternals drowned by being tethered to MCU's anchor.

22 minutes ago, Fez said:

Eternals?

It won't though.

Through the Eternals we got more Space Marvel stuff. Fully introduced Celestials, Eros/Starfox. Couple that with the Watcher, Eternity, and Adam Warlock soon. F4 around the corner, so Galactus probably not far off. I agree it was an odd movie, but the Eternals are definitely that. I'm curious if Ikaris will get spun up again. And if he does, why not Ajak, and Gilgamesh? 

I really dug Makkari, Phastos, and to a lesser extent Druig. Sersi was likewise cool, as a concept I think, but I find Chan so ridiculously attractive it was distracting from her character.        

There's a lot of places to go with the Eternals, imo.

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This was exploited to great effect in Avengers: Endgame; probably my favorite scene from that movie.

Yeah the Thor/Friga scenes/sequence in Endgame is easily my favorite part of the movie.  And I agree that Dark World has grown on me - Portman and Dennings are pretty great at handling the comedic B story and the royal family dynamic was well done and entertaining (with the aforementioned escape from Asgard).  

However, Dark World would still rank near the bottom of my list of MCU movies, and that's because of what HOI said - virtually all their movies (at least up to Phase 4) were at least pretty solid.  I even like Incredible Hulk.  The only one I have an aversion to is Iron Man 3, but that's because I wasn't interested in another iteration of Stark redeeming himself (this time with the help of some random kid!) and, perhaps more importantly, the whole Extremis "powers" came off as really fucking silly to me - even for a superhero movie.

The Eternals would have worked much, much better as a tv show. There just wasn't enough time to tell all of the stories. Phastos story hurts my head, when I think of it logically. He goes from hating humanity for creating a nuke, to falling in love and having a child, all in the set of 5 minutes. His logic for not helping the characters stop the world from ending, right away, doesn't make sense either; the guy has a child and he doesn't want to save the Earth for his sons sake, WTF. It literally takes Phastos husband to convince him to do the right thing and help save the Earth.

Archived