Thor: Love and Thunder [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

A lot of people just aren't used to films that have their own identity. Imagine going to McDonalds, ordering a burger and then have said burger engage you in an intelligent conversation. People wouldn't have it either :P

I'd hope that anyone anywhere would be alarmed if their food started talking to them.

But thanks for reminding me that I meant to order edible googly eyes and start putting them on all my food.

I thought the movie was ok for a Thor movie. I am not a big Thor fan myself. I like him best as a team player, especially his comic relief. IMO when the movie relies on him as the lead it suffers a bit. 

Regarding differences between "super powered" and mutants: It's order versus chaos. Logic versus emotion.

Ok, hear me out.

Superpowered humans always feel officially sanctioned, somehow, because the humans gain powers through science* and are perceived by greater population as having been earned (even if accidentally). Science implies order, thus some sort of control is possible. Science implies it could be repeated with planned steps. It is comprehendible. What happened to Banner makes sense and is logical, even if the outcome created a monster.

Mutants are humans who get random powers or physical traits just by genetic lottery. There's no way to predict who gets them or why, other than the elusive X gene. It's unpredictable, chaotic, and thus dangerous. Someone could wake up tomorrow and destroy everyone around them by being unable to control themselves. The line from X-Men 2 comes to mind: "Have you tried not being a mutant?" (Control implies being less feared)

Like someone mentioned on previous screen, people never need much reason to fear and hate the dreaded "Other".  The nature of Mutants creates an "us" versus "them" dichotomy. You either are "normal" or a mutant. You are either heterosexual or "other" orientation. You are "my" color/culture/creed or another color/culture/creed.

It's not a stretch to see how superhero worship in MCU can co-exist with anti-mutant fever.

*Obviously, this doesn't apply to non-Earthlings

You know what doesn't make sense to me? Thor instructs the hammer to protect Jane and it glows as if to say "ok." This is the justification for her gaining his power.

Except the hammer kills her? Sine they (I'm assuming) cut the scene where she's menaced by shadow monsters and the hammer repairs itself to save her, the hammer summoned her away from chemo and then made her cancer worse resulting in her death. Weird. Unless mjolnir is even more jealous than the axe.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

You know what doesn't make sense to me? Thor instructs the hammer to protect Jane and it glows as if to say "ok." This is the justification for her gaining his power.

Except the hammer kills her? Sine they (I'm assuming) cut the scene where she's menaced by shadow monsters and the hammer repairs itself to save her, the hammer summoned her away from chemo and then made her cancer worse resulting in her death. Weird. Unless mjolnir is even more jealous than the axe.

The hammer should have dragged her to the clinic. :D

Or,

She's at stage 4. Since it's established that the hammers are now sentient, somewhat more intelligent than a dog; somewhat less intelligent than a dolphin, maybe in the hammers view she didn't "die", she just changed form. Now that she's shuffled off this mortal coil, she gets to live it up in Valhalla until the end of time.  If you're a mythical bullshit hammer doing the moral calculus, that's the optimal outcome of her situation.

That's a good point. This way they get to be together once he dies I guess.

I want someone to go back through all the Thor movies and add subtitles of what the hammer is saying / thinking. Like after it was destroyed you can imagine it being like "I can pull myself together, just need a sec." but then they get bifrosted away and it's left there alone for... six or so years?

Love and Thunder also just casually drops in the info that the afterlife is real in the MCU and people go there when they die, which kinda feels like a big deal, which I'm sure will be totally ignored going forwards.

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

Love and Thunder also just casually drops in the info that the afterlife is real in the MCU and people go there when they die, which kinda feels like a big deal, which I'm sure will be totally ignored going forwards.

is it the after life though? Might we not be in for a switch that all those people didn't really die but where whisked away there as part of a grand plan to fight whoever takes on the Thanos role in this phase?

I remember a Doctor Who episode with Peter Capaldi that did a similar switcheroo.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Didn't Black Panther and Moon Knight already do this?

Their is a rumor Portman is returning as Jane for something. I can't keep track of all these leakers though I have no idea who to believe. And it could be another version of Jane.

Finally saw it yesterday and tense to agree.  There were parts that I genuinely enjoyed just as much as anything in the MCU, but tonally it just sort of felt off.  The dark and horror type Gorr stuff didn’t mesh with the bright comedy of the rest of it.  As I said; I did like it, but just felt off.

Speaking of off… what was Matt Damon doing there by himself?  Honestly I kept looking to see if the “Thor” actor was Affleck because that would have been funny to have them as a duo, but I never recognized the rest of the stage actors.

33 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

And Melissa McCarthy as Hela.  Matt Damon and Luke Hemsworth also played those "actors" in Ragnarok.

I must have missed that. :lol: 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It's Luke Hemsworth. Odin is Sam Neill. 

It was strange watching Thor right after I saw the new Jurassic Park movie (which was terrible) and getting another movie with Chris Pratt and Sam Neill. 

23 minutes ago, briantw said:

It was strange watching Thor right after I saw the new Jurassic Park movie (which was terrible) and getting another movie with Chris Pratt and Sam Neill. 

Jeff Goldblum filmed scenes for it too that were cut.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

And we're all the worse for less Goldblum.  

Would love to see him as the main villain of Phase 7.

I'm some universe he ended up in the savage land with the dinosaurs. Life...finds a way. 

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

I must have missed that. :lol: 

It's at the beginning of the movie, after Thor gets back from defeating Surtur, and the dragon thing gets it's head lopped off coming through the bifrost.  Thor flies over to where "Odin" is watching a dramatic recreation of Loki's "death" in Thor 2.  Thor suspects the truth, throws Mjolnir into the distance and holds "Odin's" head in the way of the returning hammer.  And then Loki reveals himself as pretending to be Odin.  Anyway, the actors in the play that Odin/Loki was watching were Damon playing Loki and (the other) Hemsworth playing Thor.

Archived