US Politics: Cancelling Democracy

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wasn't Bannon supposed to be getting prosecuted over the fraud and theft of donations for the border wall scam?

Again where's the AG?

yes, Trump pardoned Bannon over that. 

Joe Biden’s approval rating has been struggling mightily for a year and the US president’s popularity is now shockingly low even among his own supporters across America, with 64% of Democratic voters saying they want someone else to be the party’s presidential nominee in the 2024 election, according to a new opinion poll carried out by the New York Times and Siena College and published by the newspaper this morning.

Not looking good, and I have no idea if it'll get better. Biden needs to do something, that's for sure.

This, if it happens, ought to give the wasp nest a serious kick.

And when they'll wailing and gnashing their teeth attack again, and again. Put them back on their feet even if preservative steps are incremental or even doomed to fail.    

52 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Not looking good, and I have no idea if it'll get better. Biden needs to do something, that's for sure.

Perhaps what he should do is not run for reelection - just as he implied during the campaign.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

About his son? That's for sure.

I'd rather he do something about inflation, people will stop caring about Hunter's laptop or whatever password he chose for it once gas prices get back down to what American's consider reasonable and groceries don't break the bank.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd rather he do something about inflation

It's fair to argue the Fed waited too long to start acting, but the idea the president can do much to combat inflation is green lantern thinking.

A pregnant woman got a ticket for driving in the HOV lane in Texas. She says her fetus was her passenger

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/us/pregnant-woman-hov-lane/index.html

(CNN)Brandy Bottone was driving in the HOV lane meant for at least two people per vehicle in Dallas, Texas, two weeks ago when she was pulled over by police. The officer noted there didn't seem to be anyone else in the car, but Bottone had a retort -- she was 34 weeks pregnant.

"He said, 'Is there somebody else in the car?' And, looking around, I said, 'Yes there is,' and he said 'Well, where?' I pointed at my stomach and I was like, 'Right here,'" she told CNN on Sunday.

"He said, 'Well, it's two bodies outside of the body, so that doesn't count.' I was kind of in shock, and I was like, 'Well, in light of everything that's happened, and I'm not trying to make a huge political stance here, but do you understand that this is a baby?'"

The interaction, first reported by The Dallas Morning News, came days after the US Supreme Court ruled there is no federal right to abortion and declared abortion rights can be determined by each state. Texas, like other states led by conservative officials, has pushed to restrict abortion and has defined a fetus or unborn baby as a "person" in its penal code.

58 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd rather he do something about inflation, people will stop caring about Hunter's laptop or whatever password he chose for it once gas prices get back down to what American's consider reasonable and groceries don't break the bank.

Aye, apologies for the flippancy.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

It's fair to argue the Fed waited too long to start acting, but the idea the president can do much to combat inflation is green lantern thinking.

As mentioned above, while that is reasonable it also downplays that Biden and the admin do actually have a number of levers that they can use, one of the biggest ones is tariffs. 

And consistently he appears to be waiting too long to do something that he could have done and should have been foreseen. Same goes for the abortion stuff he's doing; this is stuff that should have been ready to go as soon as SCOTUS announced their decision. 

7 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

As mentioned above, while that is reasonable it also downplays that Biden and the admin do actually have a number of levers that they can use, one of the biggest ones is tariffs. 

I don't think it's downplaying it at all.  Hell, didn't even see this til after posting that, but John Yarmuth - the chair of the House Budget Committee - just emphasized even Congress can't do much about it:

“I can say this easily because I’m retiring: Congress really is almost powerless in doing anything about inflation, at least in the short term,” Yarmuth told HuffPost.

If you want to say his administration has been too slow to act and/or unprepared to at least put up the appearance they're fighting inflation/abortion, not gonna argue much with that.  But I don't think doing such things in an ideal way would be moving the needle on his approval.

Just now, DMC said:

I don't think it's downplaying it at all.  Hell, didn't even see this til after posting that, but John Yarmuth - the chair of the House Budget Committee - just emphasized even Congress can't do much about it:

Biden has full control over the tariffs though. And has been mentioned for months the tariffs are going to increase inflation. This isn't rocket surgery. 

Another example is the massive rush to pass some economic bill right before the midterms, even though they've had a fucking year to do...anything. 

Just now, DMC said:

If you want to say his administration has been too slow to act and/or unprepared to at least put up the appearance they're fighting inflation/abortion, not gonna argue much with that.  But I don't think doing such things in an ideal way would be moving the needle on his approval.

They might not! But they'd actually be doing something, and maybe causing fewer people to be harmed, and having some fucking backbone. And in the case of tariffs it would almost certainly help people right now. 

Archived