US Politics: Cancelling Democracy

DanteGabriel

31 minutes ago, Ormond said:

All of the discussion of this online is quick to point out that the law only deals with FINALIZING a divorce. In all these states women can file for divorce while pregnant and most of the proceedings can be conducted. It's just that the divorce will not be finalized until after a child is born and custody issues are dealt with. 

It’s important to highlight these laws to show the hypocrisy. In these instances they don’t treat a fetus as a living person with rights while at the same time these states are banning abortions because they are giving fetuses those rights.  

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s important to highlight these laws to show the hypocrisy. In these instances they don’t treat a fetus as a living person with rights while at the same time these states are banning abortions because they are giving fetuses those rights.  

Yes, the most important thing is the hypocrisy. Surely pointing that out will change minds

Biden is 'considering' declaring a national climate emergency (maybe as early as tomorrow), but seeing as this was suggested to him by Schumer in the early stages of his Presidency, I'm not sure if he'll actually go through with it.

Well, lets at least enjoy the next 4 months, its going to be a long 10 years after that.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

"Election year sensitivities":

The important stuff is in the first 3 minutes (although I do agree with BTC here).

Merrik is so short of neutral. He's clearly tipping the scales towards the former gangster-in-chief.

18 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't think that's the main reason he's doing it tbh.

Yes, it does look like they might keep/ win  the Senate. However, that calculation only works if Manchin (& Sinema) are really the only ones who want to boycot Biden's alleged agenda, as opposed to that there are several other Dems who are hiding behind them, so to speak.

It looks bleak for the House though...

You're 100% right--Manchin and Sinema are covering for, what I'm assuming, a mind melting number of similar Dems. I'm rolling the dice that, let's say we picked up two more seats moving the majority to 52, and those new 2 were progressives, that those hiding behind Manchin and Sinema would be too spineless to step up. 

On 7/18/2022 at 8:33 AM, Larry of the Lake said:

I mean they could but what do you think is going to happen?  This SC is going to say "oh yeah, good point"?

Eta: there's not going to be any legal or constitutional magic bullet for Trump when no one is playing by whatever alleged rules are in place.  

Even if it could work (you're right, it won't), I'd say the smart move would be to leave it until after the midterms. I hear Trump may announce his run ahead of the midterms, and that could help turnout for Dems. 

Opinion | The Supreme Court is Now Operating Outside of American Public Opinion
Our research shows the Court took a sharp swerve two years ago — and its decisions now closely mirror the views of the average Republican, not the average American.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/07/19/supreme-court-republican-views-analysis-public-opinion-00046445

But in fact, it is part of a larger, measurable shift in the past two years, in which the Court has consistently taken positions on major issues that are more conservative than the views of the citizens whose interests it notionally safeguards.

This analysis is not just anecdotal. In a series of surveys we have conducted of the American public over the past several years, we show that these latest rulings put the Court squarely at odds with public opinion.

Our SCOTUSPoll research relies on asking ordinary Americans about their own views on the issues heard by the Court. Our work, published recently in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, shows that, while the Supreme Court’s decisions fell in line with the views of the average American for most of the last 15 years, they have recently shifted sharply to the right. In fact, we have estimated that the current Court is quite representative not of the average American, but instead of the average Republican Party voter.

Some politicos are putting their bodies out there in the extreme heat to take heat by protesting the the SC's unlawful overturn of Roe:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/19/abortion-protest-capitol-lawmakers-arrested/

Seventeen members of Congress — including Democratic Reps. Cori Bush (Mo.) and Ilhan Omar (Minn.) — were among dozens of abortion rights protesters arrested Tuesday outside the Supreme Court in a rally demanding immediate action to protect abortion following the court’s decision last month to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Thirty-five people were arrested for crowding, obstructing or incommoding, a D.C. code often cited when arresting protesters during peaceful, planned and coordinated actions of civil disobedience like the demonstration on Tuesday. Those arrested were cited and released, as is standard practice during events such as this, Tim Barber, a Capitol Police spokesman confirmed.

Among those arrested were members of the Democratic Women’s Caucus and included Assistant House Speaker Katherine M. Clark (Mass.) and Reps. Bush, Omar, Ayanna Pressley (Mass.), Barbara Lee (Calif.), Jackie Speier (Calif.) and Carolyn B. Maloney (N.Y.), according to their offices.

Odd the WaPo didn't include AOC on the list, as it was her twitter feed, where she told us she was arrested, was the only place I saw this political news.  The NYT can't be bothered, and as it is, there on the WaPo, I had to dig for it -- not on the front screen.

America's CEOs made 324 times more than you last year

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/19/business/nightcap-ceo-pay-inequality-twitter-musk/index.html

GREEDFLATION'
Stop me if you've heard this one before: The rich are getting richer and the rest of us are getting poorer. (Shocking, I know.)
But a new report from the top American union group is shedding light on just how much better off the bosses in the C-Suite are versus their employees.
The upshot:

S&P 500 CEOs on average got a roughly 18% bump in compensation, averaging $18.3 million in 2021, according to the new AFL-CIO Executive Paywatch Report. That's 324 times the median worker's pay at those companies. (In 2020, that ratio was 299-to-1. And in 2019, it was 264-to-1.)

Ah. CNN has more info, including photo of AOC being taken away by the cops.

(You just know the reichs are crowing this never happened, and that AOC planned the entire phoney baloney about being arrested to protest the overthrow of Roe.  The commentators at the top of the list of the story in the WaPo sure have!)

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Riddle me this o cave dwelling white male from ID -- "Mother must die so fetus can live."

NC has the ticket!:

To be clear, this will never pass, but that a few Republicans thought it's a good idea is still crazy.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Opinion | The Supreme Court is Now Operating Outside of American Public Opinion
Our research shows the Court took a sharp swerve two years ago — and its decisions now closely mirror the views of the average Republican, not the average American.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/07/19/supreme-court-republican-views-analysis-public-opinion-00046445

This seems easily justifiable though as they see their 'judgement' as above the common U.S. pleb. 

Archived