The Winds of Winter: The Latest Info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

5 hours ago, alienarea said:

The hype train is slowly picking up speed. 

A Christmas release?

The turnaround on ADWD was 3 months, so GRRM would need to finish the book basically right now to get it out for Christmas 2022. That's clearly not happening.

2023 is possible, but would require a significant amount of progress to be made in the near future. Hopefully GRRM keeps us in the loop. 2024 might feel more realistic at this stage.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

George is pretty clear he has hundreds of pages left to write.

GRRM doesn't mention this in the podcast or his latest blog post. Thanks for inside information.

41 minutes ago, Jussi said:

GRRM doesn't mention this in the podcast or his latest blog post. Thanks for inside information.

He literally says the book might be 300 pages longer than Dance and ASoS, which means he's at or under the final manuscript page count for those books.

GRRM usually only counts pages as finished when they've been written, revised, rewritten, revised again, edited and, if possible, edited by his editor.

When ADWD was in the home straight it looked like he was churning out chapters at a crazy pace, but what he was actually doing was taking chapters that had been written, revised, rewritten etc many times over the preceding six (or eleven) years and basically signing off on them, sometimes having to do another rewrite pass or whatever, but not having to write them from scratch.

I suspect this is how GRRM arrived at his "might need 300 more pages" conclusion, he's looking at the finalised, ready-to-go stuff and how much more stuff he has in fragments, partials and drafts, and also where he wants the book to finish. He can't necessarily shove stuff from TWoW into ADoS if that's going to make ADoS too big, so he has to finish the book where he's planning, even if that makes TWoW ludicrously huge (and it has to be split later on).

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

GRRM usually only counts pages as finished when they've been written, revised, rewritten, revised again, edited and, if possible, edited by his editor.

When ADWD was in the home straight it looked like he was churning out chapters at a crazy pace, but what he was actually doing was taking chapters that had been written, revised, rewritten etc many times over the preceding six (or eleven) years and basically signing off on them, sometimes having to do another rewrite pass or whatever, but not having to write them from scratch.

I suspect this is how GRRM arrived at his "might need 300 more pages" conclusion, he's looking at the finalised, ready-to-go stuff and how much more stuff he has in fragments, partials and drafts, and also where he wants the book to finish. He can't necessarily shove stuff from TWoW into ADoS if that's going to make ADoS too big, so he has to finish the book where he's planning, even if that makes TWoW ludicrously huge (and it has to be split later on).

I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about this.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about this.

The best thing about this new Winds info is that I actually forgot about the Jon Snow sequel show for a while.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

So… did George accidentally reveal in his “Winter Garden” Not a blog that WOW is going to be the last book in the series?

And the ending?   You will need to wait until I get there.   Some things will be the same.   A lot will not.

No doubt, once I am done, there will be huge debate about which version of the story is better.   Some people will like my book, others will prefer the television show.   And that’s fine, you pays your money and your makes your choice.   (I do fear that a certain proportion of fans are so angry about how long WINDS has taken me that they are prepared to hate the book, unread.   That saddens me, but there nothing I can do about it, but write the best book that I can, and hope that when it comes out most fans will read it with clean hands and an open mind).

He talks about the ending to the story and once he is done there will be a huge debate comparing his story to HBO’s story.

Yet the book that will result in this debate seems to be Winds of Winter, not a Dream of Spring.  

I remember a gag he played where he was in costume as a zombie and signing copies of a Dream of Spring.  I wonder if there was more to that joke then we realize.  That he has never planned on writing a Dream of Spring.  That the story is going to end with Winds of Winter.

If so, it makes sense then as to why it’s taking him so long to finish WOW.  He’s trying to tie up the entire story and give it an ending.

34 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

So… did George accidentally reveal in his “Winter Garden” Not a blog that WOW is going to be the last book in the series?

He talks about the ending to the story and once he is done there will be a huge debate comparing his story to HBO’s story.

Yet the book that will result in this debate seems to be Winds of Winter, not a Dream of Spring.  

I remember a gag he played where he was in costume as a zombie and signing copies of a Dream of Spring.  I wonder if there was more to that joke then we realize.  That he has never planned on writing a Dream of Spring.  That the story is going to end with Winds of Winter.

If so, it makes sense then as to why it’s taking him so long to finish WOW.  He’s trying to tie up the entire story and give it an ending.

No. In the podcast interview (expanding on his blog post) he says Dream of Spring is still to come and he came up with a way of finishing off a character arc in that book recently.

56 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No. In the podcast interview (expanding on his blog post) he says Dream of Spring is still to come and he came up with a way of finishing off a character arc in that book recently.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time he admitted that more than 7 books might be needed to finish the story?

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time he admitted that more than 7 books might be needed to finish the story?

Nope, he's said many times before that he'll fervently try to keep it below 7, but if the story needs more, it will need more.

It is the first time that he's said what I personally thought he should have said years ago: that he'll write "two more books" and if each of those books is too massive to be published in one volume so we end up with three or four, so be it.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Is there any chance we’ll get another Dunk and Egg before Winds? 

Potentially. He was partially or maybe even mostly done with a story provisionally called The She-Wolves, but seems to have concluded that he needed to write and publish another story first to fit the chronology. He came up with a title for that, The Village Hero, but to my knowledge has not started writing it yet.

If he can bash out The Village Hero quickly (say in a few weeks), then it might mean we'd also get The She-Wolves relatively quickly afterwards. It depends on the situation. I know he feels he let Winds "go cold" after finishing Dance, so he may prefer to just blast into Dream at full steam.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Nope, he's said many times before that he'll fervently try to keep it below 7, but if the story needs more, it will need more.

It is the first time that he's said what I personally thought he should have said years ago: that he'll write "two more books" and if each of those books is too massive to be published in one volume so we end up with three or four, so be it.

Potentially. He was partially or maybe even mostly done with a story provisionally called The She-Wolves, but seems to have concluded that he needed to write and publish another story first to fit the chronology. He came up with a title for that, The Village Hero, but to my knowledge has not started writing it yet.

If he can bash out The Village Hero quickly (say in a few weeks), then it might mean we'd also get The She-Wolves relatively quickly afterwards. It depends on the situation. I know he feels he let Winds "go cold" after finishing Dance, so he may prefer to just blast into Dream at full steam.

I could see him releasing The Village Hero and She-Wolves together as one book. 

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I know he feels he let Winds "go cold" after finishing Dance, so he may prefer to just blast into Dream at full steam.

The reason why he let it go cold is because he went on a giant promotional tour for Dance, no? Who is to say that his publishers won't want him to do the same for Winds? Plus, he'll have to do a lot of promotion for all the different HBO projects.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

31 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The reason why he let it go cold is because he went on a giant promotional tour for Dance, no? Who is to say that his publishers won't want him to do the same for Winds? Plus, he'll have to do a lot of promotion for all the different HBO projects.

Correct, but he does seem to regret the time he spent away from the book because of that tour. So I suspect GRRM will not be keen on doing such a tour again. As well as the time factor from the book, there's also the time he ends up spending away from his wife and Santa Fe-based business interests, and an AAA-bestseller author tour can be brutal on thirty-somethings, let alone anyone older.

Book tours are also not quite as important and as major as they were ten years ago, and the age of the 50-city tour does seem to be over (COVID is another factor as well).

I suspect GRRM's WoW promotional duties will be nothing like as hardcore as they were for ADWD (which basically constituted a six-month world tour).