The Winds of Winter: The Latest Info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

if he'll be done with Tyrion and Dany's POVs then he'll probably have an easier tome finishing the rest:drool:... then again , the POVs he talks about could as well be Jon and Jon's ... two dead men.

by the way , has anyone watched Sandman? I haven't seen it (or read the comics) myself but a friend (who also hadn't read the comics) watched it and thought the plot was stupid and the cast were horribly picked save for the main character. he thought it's not worth watching at all .... so , what do you guys think?

7 hours ago, Nevets said:

I  hope he is talking about some main POVs (pre-AFFC) being wrapped up soon.  If not, it's going to be a long wait.

Worst case scenario, it's whoever poor schmuck gets to be in the prologue or epilogue this time.

9 hours ago, sifth said:

Has the show even been picked up for a second season yet, let alone a third one?

Amberlit. They'll announce the renewal relatively soon (either after the first season or the first episode) as long as it doesn't get cataclysmically low ratings.

5 hours ago, EggBlue said:

by the way , has anyone watched Sandman? I haven't seen it (or read the comics) myself but a friend (who also hadn't read the comics) watched it and thought the plot was stupid and the cast were horribly picked save for the main character. he thought it's not worth watching at all .... so , what do you guys think?

It's excellent and probably the best adaptation of a literary fantasy work since GoT Season 1.

7 hours ago, EggBlue said:

if he'll be done with Tyrion and Dany's POVs then he'll probably have an easier tome finishing the rest:drool:... then again , the POVs he talks about could as well be Jon and Jon's ... two dead men.

Imagine if one of them is Areo Hotah, the walking camera POV, who only seems to get one chapter per novel, lol

On 7/24/2022 at 5:48 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

GRRM said that he will do a cameo for HotD if he finishes Winds while the show is still running. So I guess he isn't as close to finishing as the recent blog post and GoO interview made it seem?

Actually, if the show is only 3 seasons like Miguel insinuated that might be a short period of time. 

The optimists say he’ll wrap everything up in 4 years so after HotD has concluded. 

I don’t buy 4 years but hopefully it will pan out.

@sifth

hah, I thought the opposite: the fact they only have basically a historical summary of the conflict, 300 pages as you say, may allow them to run much longer if they wish to. They can in fact fill in the blanks and flesh out the characters or events (with previous flashbacks, smaller conflicts that are just mentioned in that time, setting and background for them).

Or not.

I guess you’d call this filler.

6 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

@sifth

hah, I thought the opposite: the fact they only have basically a historical summary of the conflict, 300 pages as you say, may allow them to run much longer if they wish to. They can in fact fill in the blanks and flesh out the characters or events (with previous flashbacks, smaller conflicts that are just mentioned in that time, setting and background for them).

Or not.

I guess you’d call this filler.

Yea, but even doing all that, I still don't think there's enough space for 30 to 40 hours of material. Keep in mind, some of those three hundred pages, consist of "the event might have happened this way or it might have happened this other way". So in actuality, it's really less than that. My own theory is, the season will end with King Viserys death, which as well all know, leads into the Dance.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But that would mean that Winds won't be out until at least 2026. :blink:

That’s less time than it took for Feast for crows to be published. It’s pretty soon all things considered. 

2026 will not be that different of a world. If Biden wins re-election the US will still have the same president when it’s out. 

I don’t buy it though, my sense is his progress is an illusion, but the fan base for now seems on board. If it doesn’t come to pass they’ll turn on Martin again. 

The only thing it guarantees is he will be on good terms with the subreddit and this site for the duration House of the Dragon is airing, which might be the point. He wants positive vibes while he is out in the public promoting his stuff. But that is just my cynical take.

Edited by butterweedstrover

On 8/13/2022 at 12:22 AM, EggBlue said:

Two dead men! Dead men chapters are easy! I am still laughing.

Quotes from an interview with the New York Times.  Most of it is about House of the Dragon, but there is some on upcoming books.

Q: Will the upcoming books diverge from the TV series?

A: A lot of this story comes to me as I write it.  ...  Now, as I'm writing the books and I'm making more and more progress and it's getting longer, ideas are coming to me and characters are taking me in directions that are further from where the show went.

So, I think what you're going to find is, when "Winds of Winter", and then, hopefully, "Dream of Spring" come out, that my ending will be very different.  And there will be some similarities, some big moments that I told Dan and David about many years ago  ...  Even some of the things I told them are changing as I do the writing.  So they will be different.  ...

Q: When will the books be done?

A: No comment, no comment, no comment.  I'm no good at predicting these things.  ...

And some of it depends on how many interruptions there are and all that.  I'm in a pretty good place now so I'm optimistic.  But I'm not going to make any predictions.

I must say it sounds encouraging.  We may actually see the next book.  And it looks like the ending will probably be different as well, which sounds like a good thing.

The full interview is available on NYTimes.com