The Winds of Winter: The Latest Info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

well , it seems we might actually get to read Winds one day :wub:.... is it wishful thinking to hope Dream of Spring will be easier for George to write?! I've been seriously thinking about it and if George manages to kill people here and there and bring arcs together here and there , the whole story would be a bit easier to write .

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:31 AM, EggBlue said:

well , it seems we might actually get to read Winds one day :wub:.... is it wishful thinking to hope Dream of Spring will be easier for George to write?! I've been seriously thinking about it and if George manages to kill people here and there and bring arcs together here and there , the whole story would be a bit easier to write .

dream on...  its a subjective thing... and finishing may be a lot less motivating than starting was.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone buy the theory that he’s writing Winds and Dream at the same time and waiting to publish both at the same time? That’s what I’m holding out for at least. If we get Winds on its own I’ll be very happy of course, but I have very little hope of ever seeing Dream with the pace he’s at. May he be blessed with long life and good health. 

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

He looks and sounds so exasperated. 

Honestly not any more hopeful about it being released, between his age and the fact that I think he's probably lost all passion for the project with the amount of pressure he's been put under to get it released. 

I kind of feel bad for him. He created a monster for himself with his own success. 

2 minutes ago, TeethGrinder said:

Honestly not any more hopeful about it being released, between his age and the fact that I think he's probably lost all passion for the project with the amount of pressure he's been put under to get it released. 

I kind of feel bad for him. He created a monster for himself with his own success. 

Yea, I thought the same thing. He seems so sad, as if all his passion for finishing the series is out of him.

To me he sounds more or less the same as he's sounded any time he answered similar questions in the last couple of decades: first about AFFC, then ADWD, now TWOW. Which is frustrated by the writing problems, tired of answering the question only to have his answers dissected and used to criticise him, aware of how desperately his readers want an answer he doesn't have, somewhat guilty that he can't give them one, and frustrated again because it's a question he asks himself every day.

Compare this to any of those previous interviews and you'll see very little difference.

As for passion, I think we can do the man the respect of believing him when he repeatedly says he still has it.

Man, I feel for him honestly. It's clear he is working on it, it's mammoth, he is a perfectionist - I mean, still rewriting chapters?! The irony is most of us would be more than happy with such chapters, but if he isn't, and he is the creator, then I guess we can't expect him to put out content that isn't up to his own exacting standards. It must be exhausting to get asked this endlessly, when he is working to finish it as best he can.

Also couldn't help but laugh at his comment about someone tweeting him demanding ADOS the day after WoW being released - funny but also sad, and true. 

4 minutes ago, Crixus said:

Man, I feel for him honestly. It's clear he is working on it, it's mammoth, he is a perfectionist - I mean, still rewriting chapters?! The irony is most of us would be more than happy with such chapters, but if he isn't, and he is the creator, then I guess we can't expect him to put out content that isn't up to his own exacting standards. It must be exhausting to get asked this endlessly, when he is working to finish it as best he can.

Also couldn't help but laugh at his comment about someone tweeting him demanding ADOS the day after WoW being released - funny but also sad, and true. 

I mean he’s said that since ADWD came out. So he’s basically just reusing an old joke.

2 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

I'm not getting that feeling from him myself.  I'm not upset by what he said.  75% is a substantial chunk.   His Notablog commentary is upbeat and positive and I think that reflects his general frame of mind.   This was only a part of the Random livestream, so perhaps this one bit sounds worse than it is.

Edited by LynnS

10 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I haven’t watched the stream, but apparently George admitted that he stopped working on TWOW to write FnB? 

Yes, but he was talking about something that happened a while ago.  I'll see if I can find it.

Honestly, it wouldn’t bother me if he stopped working on TWOW to work on DnE or FB2 at this point. If they’re easier for him to finish, then I’d rather read something than go another decade without anything.

What really puzzles me is whatever happened to the She-Wolves of Winterfell. He was originally going to release it before TPATQ but then never did.

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What really puzzles me is whatever happened to the She-Wolves of Winterfell. He was originally going to release it before TPATQ but then never did.

It was supposed to be his contribution to the 'Dangerous Women' anthology he co-edited with Gardner. Instead they went with TPatQ for that one.

I always took this as a sign that the Winterfell novella (which still hasn't an official title as of yet) was far from done and couldn't be finished to his satisfaction in the time before the anthology was supposed to come out.

It also seems that the writing process of TMK and ADwD had him create the background story for Pennytree, meaning that he would want to go with TVH before having Dunk & Egg arrive at Winterfell.

Thinking about the Winterfell story, I'd actually prefer it if we had Dunk & Egg go north by ship in the wake of TVH so that they arrive at Winterfell after having already visited the Wall and Castle Black. That way, we don't need to get a Wall story but could also get references to their visit to the Wall.

Of course, George could also do that in the story taking place after the Winterfell story, but then this story might actually be a Wall story which we don't really need.

12 hours ago, Stark Revenge said:

Does anyone buy the theory that he’s writing Winds and Dream at the same time and waiting to publish both at the same time? That’s what I’m holding out for at least. If we get Winds on its own I’ll be very happy of course, but I have very little hope of ever seeing Dream with the pace he’s at. May he be blessed with long life and good health. 

This is not happening. You will get Winds in the next 2 years but Dream is at least 8 years away imo.

I don't feel that mad though. George has procrastinated a lot but if WInds is around 1500-1600 pages it will be a bit smaller than the whole Harry Poter franscise. 

Edited by Dreadscythe95

1 hour ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

George has procrastinated a lot but if WInds is around 1500-1600 pages it will be a bit smaller than the whole Harry Poter franscise.

It won't be around 1500-1600 pages.  Martin gave the comparisons of ASOS and ADWD, which were around 1500 manuscript pages.  But my paperback copy of ASOS is 1128 pages and my ADWD hardcover is 959 - not counting appendices.