The Winds of Winter: The Latest Info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

On 12/5/2022 at 5:23 PM, sifth said:

The problem is, has any place in Westeros, not been effected by war yet? The Scouring of the Shire works, because it shows us the effects of war on a place we viewed as safe from it. The closest GRRM can come to replicating it, would be having one of his major villains like Euron sit out all of the fighting against the Others and suddenly after they are defeated have him attack a major city.

Honestly, the burning of Winterfell in ACOK kinda feels like its serving that purpose already: the 'haven' has been attacked and taken over, and though our heroes will likely get it back, it'll never be the place it once was. King's Landing can't really be a Scouring-like place because it's been attacked multiple times in the setting and is deliberately set up as an unsafe place. Nowhere else has that resonance either. 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:54 AM, Elizaveta said:

I saw some fans speculate on whether the conflict between the Others and Westeros be resolved diplomatically. Idk if it's more like GRRM to have a big battle or have a twist like this.

I don't think it will be exactly like deplomacy but I have a feeling that it will have some similarities with how Hao Asakura is "defeated" in Shaman King. If you have never read that Manga:

Spoiler

Hao Asakura is a mghty Shaman that gets reincarnated and wants to become Shaman King (literal God) because he wants to erase humanity since he believes humans are corrupt and will destroy the planet. This arc has a lot of similarities with White Walkers/Brand Storyline. Hao wins in the end and becomes the Shaman King but by uniting with everyone his heart is open again and people convinve him that there is more than revenge when you are the God and that humanity deserves a chance to prove itself. 

I feel that Brand's arc will lead him into becoming this god-like nihillistic figure that sees humanity as a virus that needs to be erased (it's probably the response to the Children of The Forest Lovecraftian spell of earing humans).

Jon is the SOIAF and so he will guide humans and prove that we can be redeemed. Through this devastation Westeros will pass to a total monarchy (which is what happened in real hsitory) and The Great Houses will probably lose their feudalistic power.

Edited by Dreadscythe95

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

A coffee table version of a book that is based on leftovers from a previous coffee table book? It's getting really confusing.

Hard not to start getting cynical about these releases. As I understand it what became fire and blood was an epic procrastination written as flavour for a book half it's size which was released and sold well enough to justify bundling up the rest of the procrastination, putting a bow on it and selling it (as a part 1 no less). Now he releases a stripped down version full of pictures - isn't this where we started? Dare I ask what's next?

Interesting tidbits there. Not sure if it entirely squares with what he's said elsewhere.

So previously (on the History of Westeros podcast) he said he was 75% done with an estimated final page count of ~1,820 manuscript pages (the 1,520 of ASoS and ADWD + 300 pages more). That would come out to around 1,365 manuscript pages completed.

Here he's saying he has between 1,100 and 1,200 manuscript pages complete with 400-500 to go. This might be more of a general off-the-cuff "ballpark" figure, especially given he's away from his notes, whilst in the other interview he was in his house with the info to hand. Or it might reflect his publishers forcefully pushing back on the two volume idea and saying he has a hard limit of around 1,600 manuscript pages and he can't go over that, which I find unlikely. If anything, GRRM delivering an ~1800 page book they can split into two volumes, each only slightly shorter than A Game of Thrones or A Feast for Crows, which they can publish in two subsequent years, would probably be music to Random House's ears, especially given their willingness to publish anything else ASoIaF-related, no matter how tenuous or reheated from prior publications.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

If anything, GRRM delivering an ~1800 page book they can split into two volumes, each only slightly shorter than A Game of Thrones or A Feast for Crows, which they can publish in two subsequent years, would probably be music to Random House's ears, especially given their willingness to publish anything else ASoIaF-related, no matter how tenuous or reheated from prior publications.

Plus, the only thing that really matters now is time. If releasing it in two volumes means that he will finish it faster, then Random House should be all-in on the idea.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

So previously (on the History of Westeros podcast) he said he was 75% done with an estimated final page count of ~1,820 manuscript pages (the 1,520 of ASoS and ADWD + 300 pages more). That would come out to around 1,365 manuscript pages completed.

I'm thinking you misread the evidence, unless I missed something.  When did he say it would be 1820 manuscript pages?

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Here he's saying he has between 1,100 and 1,200 manuscript pages complete with 400-500 to go.

That would have been closer to my own guesses, based on his remarks of last month.  Again, unless I missed something.

5 hours ago, Gilbert Green said:

I'm thinking you misread the evidence, unless I missed something.  When did he say it would be 1820 manuscript pages?

When he said it would be 300 pages longer than ASoS and ADWD, which are 1520 manuscript pages.

1520 + 300 = 1820

ETA: It was his Game of Owns interview, not the History of Westeros one.

Edited by Werthead

10 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Plus, the only thing that really matters now is time. If releasing it in two volumes means that he will finish it faster, then Random House should be all-in on the idea.

Would he finish part two faster? George is itching to go on a book-tour again, and he didn't write anything for 6 months after the Dance book tour.