The Winds of Winter: The Latest Info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

19 hours ago, SeanF said:

There are probably lightwells and ventilation shafts.

The underground cities of Anatolia seem to have been quite comfortable.

Westerosi winters would make living in the rock in those times like living in a nuclear bunker underground during a nuclear winter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 2:19 PM, Quaithe from Asshai said:

Any thoughts on the impact of the writers strike on GRRM? I assume, till writers are able to get an agreement with studios, all shows in development are on pause, is this correct? Or would writers for shows in development continue on as is? 

GRRM basically said "Oh remember when I said I was working on Winds? Psyche! I have actually been working on and going over HotD episodes, 5 times to go over each"

GRRM also says strike will not effect Winds (ha ha) as he appears to have been on his own writers strike for years now

The fact he continues to waste time on all these side quests is actually quite annoying at this point tbh

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/05/07/strike/

11 hours ago, kav2001c said:

GRRM basically said "Oh remember when I said I was working on Winds? Psyche! I have actually been working on and going over HotD episodes, 5 times to go over each"

That's a very odd way to interpret the phrase 'WINDS continues to be priority number one', an explicit reassurance that he has continued to and will continue to work on the book regardless: but you do you.

6 hours ago, mormont said:

That's a very odd way to interpret the phrase 'WINDS continues to be priority number one', an explicit reassurance that he has continued to and will continue to work on the book regardless: but you do you.

As an aside after referencing the multiple frozen projects he can no longer juggle, I don't see how its reassuring to know the priority status has NOT changed. 

What we want is for him to come out and say that Winds will now take front and center. But by implying it was number before it seems to tell us that this writer's strike won't change anything and his 23 years of stagnation will continue unabated. 

People don't want reassurances that everything is the same because his personal definition of "number one priority" is the same as it was since 2014, which is to say inadequate.  

It doesn't sound reassuring, it sounds passive aggressive. 

8 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

People don't want reassurances that everything is the same because his personal definition of "number one priority" is the same as it was since 2014, which is to say inadequate.  

Those people - not everyone - have this particularly odd idea that somehow, GRRM's problems would all be solved if he just... decided that the thing he already talks about as his life's work and legacy and has worked on for decades was more important?

That goes in the same bin as 'he just needs to work harder'. The idea that there's a simple solution and that it lies in the author's work ethic may be comforting in a weird way, but it's clearly not true.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Those people - not everyone - have this particularly odd idea that somehow, GRRM's problems would all be solved if he just... decided that the thing he already talks about as his life's work and legacy and has worked on for decades was more important?

That goes in the same bin as 'he just needs to work harder'. The idea that there's a simple solution and that it lies in the author's work ethic may be comforting in a weird way, but it's clearly not true.

Yeah I agree, just saying how it comes off. 

Also, the second I clicked this site literally after waking up at 2:30 AM due to extreme insomnia which is very unusual to me (I went to bed at midnight) your reply immediately appeared meaning you posted your reply at the exact same time I pressed on this site at an hour I would elsewise never click it due to a sleeping issue I had never (before today) had. 

This is an extreme coincidence. Hoping your doing good (don't know what time it is in your neck of the woods but take care). 

Me personally is a tiny bit surprised he didn't just announced that he lost interest in the book. Maybe it will negatively affect sales of the previous ones? But it is not shameful to admit that "Sorry, I have other interests now, the book has lost its appeal."

Now that Spain is re-releasing the books with new covers, people are theorizing that Winds is on the horizon. If I remember correctly, this sort of thing has happened before though.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that Jon won’t be resurrected until well into TWOW, possibly not until the end of the book. Melisandre has no reason to attempt a resurrection that she’s never done at this point, least of all on Jon. More has to happen before she reaches that point. And considering how slow-paced the last two books were. . .

I also think there’s a fair chance that Stannis loses the battle at Winterfell and is forced to retreat, or if he does win, he’ll suffer heavy loses and then be met with the news that Aegon has taken King’s Landing. He and Shireen are nowhere near each other right now, and it’s going to take something big to push him to the point where he’ll sacrifice her. Maybe it’ll be like Agamemnon and Clytemnestra, where Selyse kills Stannis to avenge her daughter. The books seem to have dropped any plans for Brienne to kill him.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:30 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now that Spain is re-releasing the books with new covers, people are theorizing that Winds is on the horizon. If I remember correctly, this sort of thing has happened before though.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that Jon won’t be resurrected until well into TWOW, possibly not until the end of the book. Melisandre has no reason to attempt a resurrection that she’s never done at this point, least of all on Jon. More has to happen before she reaches that point. And considering how slow-paced the last two books were. . .

I also think there’s a fair chance that Stannis loses the battle at Winterfell and is forced to retreat, or if he does win, he’ll suffer heavy loses and then be met with the news that Aegon has taken King’s Landing. He and Shireen are nowhere near each other right now, and it’s going to take something big to push him to the point where he’ll sacrifice her. Maybe it’ll be like Agamemnon and Clytemnestra, where Selyse kills Stannis to avenge her daughter. The books seem to have dropped any plans for Brienne to kill him.

Winds will happen when it happens.  Can't hurry love, right?  A few years ago Mr. Pokey said he was changing his mind or thinking about changing direction with a character that would impact other characters.  My thoughts went straight to Stannis when I heard this.  Still, it could be anyone.  Brienne is on quest.  She is slow and plodding...who does that remind you of?  Given enough time and attention she will find her way to Stannis' scrawny neck and lop his head off.  Martin says  the characters are his kids.  He won't forget her.  

Much as I want to know what Jon's state is I wouldn't mind not being in his thoughts for a while.  I want to see what's happening at the Wall but not necessarily with him.  I want to be surprised when he gets up.  I wouldn't mind a little Ghost thinking or Bran mind melds but mostly I want Jon to come back with his own words and thoughts.  I want to be clear on Jon when I get him back, not the weirdness I know will be his mind while he er rests.  In my fan fiction Jon sits up and tells all of them to F*** off and has a sense of humor and quits sulking about everything.  He decides life is for living and does it with relish.  A reader can dream.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that Jon won’t be resurrected until well into TWOW, possibly not until the end of the book.

My prediction/hope is that he is not resurrected but is grievously injured and in a coma until after the 3/4 mark of wow, when he revives, and finds that his siblings have begun to gather at winterfell, and then he travels there and the siblings, maybe with the exception of Bran, are reunited. 

• 2 months later...

Here is the latest, from a 7/22/23 grrm blog post, for what it's worth. i guess it could be worse.

And, yes, yes, of course, I’ve been working on WINDS OF WINTER.  Almost every day.  Writing, rewriting, editing, writing some more.   Making steady progress.   Not as fast as I would like.. .certainly not as fast as YOU  would like… but progress nonetheless.

It keeps me out of trouble.

3 hours ago, Brother Seamus said:

Here is the latest, from a 7/22/23 grrm blog post, for what it's worth. i guess it could be worse.

And, yes, yes, of course, I’ve been working on WINDS OF WINTER.  Almost every day.  Writing, rewriting, editing, writing some more.   Making steady progress.   Not as fast as I would like.. .certainly not as fast as YOU  would like… but progress nonetheless.

Sounds like COVID GRRM:

If nothing else, the enforced isolation has helped me write.   I am spending long hours every day on THE WINDS OF WINTER, and making steady progress.

11 hours ago, Brother Seamus said:

About as good as can be expected.  I wish he didn't sound so sore at us for still caring.  But never mind.  As long as he's on track for a 2029 release, all is good.

12 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

He already wrote a good chunk of it for TWOIAF.

Not really. Outside of brief pieces for Aerys II and I think Aegon IV, nothing was written for the post-regency era.