Rough military estimates for different houses/kingdoms

Rough estimates of each house’s military strength in Westeros (The North, The Riverlands, The Vale, The Westerlands and The Reach) - might do The Stormlands, Dorne, The Crownlands and The Iron Islands at some point as well. 

These are rough estimates based on factors like geographical location, economic power, fertility & produce of a region, population and the prestige of a house. I have used some semi-cannon sources mixed with logical guesses based off GRRM’s work. These estimates will not support everything written in the books but are based from figures and descriptions given by Martin. I have focused on the main houses of each kingdom but put in other smaller and lesser houses in some circumstances to account for numbers elsewhere. 

The North: 

8000 - Manderly 

5000 - Bolton 

6000 - Stark 

3000- Mountain Clans 

3000 - Umber 

3000 - Karstark

4000 - Dustin

500- Skagos 

2500 - Glover 

1500 - Tallhart

2000 - Ryswell

2000 - Hornwood 

1000- Reed 

2000 - Flint of Widow's Watch 

2000 - Flint of Flints Finger

500-1000 - Mormont (really can’t figure this one out)

1000 - Cerwyn

50,000 fighting men 

50+ ships

Manderly also probably has about 3,000 sailers but up to you if you class these as fighting men.  

Riverlands:

Tully-6,000

Blackwood-3,000

Bracken-4,000

Chambers-200

Charlton-100

Darry-1,500

Erenford-300

Frey-5,000

Goodbrook-1,000

Grell-300

Harwick-2,000

Lychester-2,500

Mallister-4,000

Mooton-3,000

Pemford-200

Piper-3,000

Roote-1,000

Ryger-500

Smallwood-200

Terrick-500

Vance of Atranta-2,000

Vance of Wayfarer’s rest-2,000

Vypern-300

Whent-1,200

Haigh-500

Grey-300

Wode-1,000

45,000 fighting men 

20 ships?

The Westerlands: 

Lannister-8,000

Algood-100

Banefort-2,500

Bettley-400

Brax-3,500

Broom-200

Broome-300

Crakehall-4,000

Clegane-1,000

Doggett-200

Drox-200

Estren-200

Falwell-200

Farman-200

Ferren-300

Foote-300

Garner-700

Hamell-300

Hawthorne-800

Jast-200

Kenning of Kayce-1,000

Kyndall-500

Lefford-4,000

Lydden-2,000

Marbrand-5,000

Moreland-400

Myatt-300

Payne-500

Plumm-1,000

Prester-300

Sarsfield-1,500

Serrett-3,000

Swyft-2,000

Stackspear-2,000

Turnberry-200

Westerling-1,000

Yarwyc-500

50,000 men 

30+ ships

The Vale:

House Arryn of the Eyrie-5,000

House Arryn of Gulltown-200

House Baelish of the Fingers-50

House Belmore of Strongsong-3,500

House Borrell of Sweetsister-100

House Crayne-100

House Coldwater of Coldwater Burn-4,500

House Corbray of Heart's Home-5,000

House Egen-500

House Elesham of the Paps-300

House Grafton of Gulltown-3,000

House Hardyng-500

House Hersy of Newkeep-300

House Hunter of Longbow Hall-2,000

House Longthorpe of Longsister-200

House Lynderly of Snakewood-2,500

House Melcolm of Old Anchor-3,000

House Moore-300

House Pryor of Pebble-400

House Redfort of Redfort-2,000

House Royce of Runestone-5,000

House Royce of the Gates of the Moon-300

House Ruthermont-400

House Shett-1,500

House Sunderland of the Three Sisters-600

House Templeton of Ninestars-2,500

House Tollett of the Grey Glen-1,000

House Torrent of Littlesister-150

House Upcliff of the Witch Isle-200

House Waxley of Wickenden-2,000

House Waynwood of Ironoaks-3,000

50,000 men 

200+ ships 

The Reach:

Tyrell-5,000

Ambrose-1,000

Appleton-1,000

Ashford-3,000

Beesbury-1,000

Blackbar-1,000

Bulwer-2,000

Caswell-4,000

Costayne-2,000

Crane-3,000

Cuy-3,000

Florent-2,000

Fossoway of Cider Hall-3,000

Fossoway of New Barrel-1,000

Footly-4,000

Hightower-12,000

Meadows-1,500

Merryweather-2,000

Oakheart-3,000

Peake-3,000

Redwyne-8,000

Shermer-1,000

Tarly-6,000

Hewett-1,500

Hunt-1,000

Leygood-1,500

Roxton-1,000

Stackhouse-1,500

Osgrey of Standfast-1,500

80,000+ men

200+ ships

let me know if you agree/disagree :)

I'm not going to examine every bannerman (because I simply don't have the information to make an informed guess) but here's what the old semi-canon d20 rpg had to say for each region as a whole and what I think personally.

The North

D20: 45,000

My Opinion: 45,000

During Aegon's Conquest the Starks were able to assemble 30,000 soldiers and given real life demographic trends the population of the North has probably grown since then. Robb was able to get 22,000 in the Wot5K, but we know that the assembly was rushed, that a number of bannerman may have held back men out of concern for the coming winter, that the hill clans and Skagosi apparently didn't contribute at all, and that the Manderlys at least still have a significant force even after everyone they sent south was presumably wiped out; all in all suggesting that Robb was only able to gather around half of the North's total military strength seems fair. The d20 numbers seem about accurate.

The Riverlands

My Opinion: 60,000

No, we don't see anything like these numbers in the books, but for a region as large and with so much open (and fertile) land I can't imagine the Riverlands not having more soldiers the d20 gives. Their lack of numbers in the Wot5K can largely be explained away by the early smashing of several armies and decapitation of several major families by the Lannisters.

The Vale

My Opinion: 45,000

GRRM says their numbers are similar to the North and the Vale is a decent size with a good deal of open land between the mountains. No reason to doubt the d20 numbers.

The Westerlands

D20: 50,000

My Opinion: 50,000

During the Wot5K Jaime's and Tywin's armies have a combined number of at least 35,000, and that's after several initial battles with the Riverlords and not counting the Clegane raiders. On top of that, there are still significant forces to be raised in the Westerlands when they need to defend against Robb's counteroffensives and Lannisport oversees a pretty decent-sized fleet. Once again the d20 numbers seem about accurate.

The Stormlands

D20: 30,000

My Estimate: 40,000

The Stormlands are too large and too martially inclined for the d20 numbers and I imagine the Stormlords can field something similar if slightly smaller than the Vale or the Westerlands. Assuming not all the Stormlords declared for either Baratheon brother right away, that means perhaps 30,000 of the host of 80,000 Renly had at Bitterbridge (more on that below) could have been from the Stormlands.

The Reach

D20: 80,000 to 100,000

My Opinion: 80,000+

If 30,000 or so of the 80,000 at Bitterbridge were Stormlanders than 50,000 would be from the Reach. This seems to support d20's numbers given that probably not all the lords present were yet willing to commit their full forces and the Hightowers - who I believe with their bannerman could potentially field 15-20,000 soldiers alone - were staying out of the fray. Plus, the Reach is the largest AND most fertile part of Westeros.

Dorne

D20: 50,000

My Estimate: 30,000

D20 used the numbers given by Daeron in his conquest, but we know those numbers to be greatly exaggerated. Given the size and dominant terrain of Dorne, 30,000 seems like the uppermost limit.

I'm not bothering with the Iron Islands or the Crownlands because their power is mostly ship-based and the required manpower could vary wildly based on the exact ships used.

@Shadowfax3

One of the problems I see with your estimates is that it doesn't seem to take into account the different levels of vassalage within the noble houses. The Great Houses are unlikely to have many men at arms directly responding to them, because their forces will come through intermediate 'middle' lords.

For instance, the Starks are very unlikely to command eight thousand men as you suggest. They'd basically only control the guards of Winterfell, and whoever lifes in Winter Town. For the rest of the nearby population, they would rely on the petty lords and masters who would rule over small keeps and holdfasts. So their strength woul either be 45,000 (because rule over all the North) or a few hundreds.

Besides that, I'd try to comment on where I think that your calculations is contradicted by what we know.

The North

The Manderlys are very tricky to guess, but I think that giving them 8,000 is way too much. When Wylis and Wendel join Robb's army they only bring 1,500 men. Afterwards, when Theon takes Winterfell, they only send a few hundred knights to help Rodrik take it back. It's very strange that a house that is shown as very loyal and devoted to the Starks contribute with such a small portion of their men in times of need. Also, Lord Wyman is said to bring only three hundred men with him at Winterfell when Roose summons him. One would think that Roose would be openly infuriated with him if he had reasons to believe Wyman had several thousand fresh men at white Harbor. For this reason, I think that your number should be reduced by half, if not more.

You also missed the mountain clans, that together contribute with up to 3 thousand men.

The Riverlands

FIB tells us that "House Tully was unique amongst the great houses of Westeros. Aegon the Conqueror had made them the Lords Paramount of the Trident, yet in many ways they continued to be overshadowed by many of their own bannermen. The Brackens, the Blackwoods, and the Vances all ruled wider domains and could field much larger armies, as could the upstart Freys of the Twins. "

So your estimate for the Tullys should be below the figures for those five houses. Since the Freys are said to be able to muster 4,000 men, I'd put the two Vances, Brackens and Blackwoods at the same level, and the Tullys at 3,000. The Mallisters are said lots of prestige and a "proud lineage", but are not included in this list of big houses, so your estimate should probably be reduced too.

Westerlands

I don't think it's likely that the unnamed keep of an upstarted kennelmaster rules over lands big enough to muster one thousand men. Gregor is important as a commander in Tywin's army because of his brute strength and brutality, but he's an insignificant landholder on his own.

Meanwhile, you assign very little manpower to houses that appear to be significant players in the West (Farman, Jast, ....)

Vale

Not much to mention here, but I'm not sure why think houses such Coldwater, Melcolm or Lynderly are as powerful. They haven't been mentioned much, so far.

Reach

You don't include in your list some very important houses from the Reach: Rowan, Mullendore, three of the Shield Island houses,...

I think the figure you give for the Hightowers (20,000 when you factore in their vassals) and the Redwynes (8,000) are a little too high. It's an area that represents less than a fifth of the area of the Reach, so I wouldn't expect to represent a third of the manpower of the area.

The Sworn Sword shows us exactly how many men house Osgrey can muster: eight.

BTW... those big letters make it very difficult to read your post. :wideeyed:

On 7/12/2022 at 2:51 PM, Lord Artos Llyn said:

The Riverlands

My Opinion: 60,000

No, we don't see anything like these numbers in the books, but for a region as large and with so much open (and fertile) land I can't imagine the Riverlands not having more soldiers the d20 gives. Their lack of numbers in the Wot5K can largely be explained away by the early smashing of several armies and decapitation of several major families by the Lannisters.

I'd agree that on normal conditions, the Riverlands may be able to muster above the 45k figure. A potential explanation for the D20 estimation and the more modest armies in the Wot5K may be that they suffered a lot of losses during Robert's Rebellion, just 17 years ago. The Riverlands were the most divided area (almost a civil war), and where most of the fighting took place. The houses that fought with the Targaryens (Goodbrook, Mooton, Darry, Whent...) do not seem to have recovered after the war, and apparently Hoster felt particularly vengeful. For all this, the Trident may be underpopulated at the moment.

The Stormlands

D20: 30,000

My Estimate: 40,000

The Stormlands are too large and too martially inclined for the d20 numbers and I imagine the Stormlords can field something similar if slightly smaller than the Vale or the Westerlands. Assuming not all the Stormlords declared for either Baratheon brother right away, that means perhaps 30,000 of the host of 80,000 Renly had at Bitterbridge (more on that below) could have been from the Stormlands.

Not sure about that one. Most of the Stormlands land seems to be pretty inhospitable: the red mountains, Cape Wrath, the huge kingswood... Their coast is apparently very craggy and full of cliffs. And the map only show a single small town. Nothing seems to indicate that they have a population comparable to the Vale or the Westerlands.

The Reach

D20: 80,000 to 100,000

My Opinion: 80,000+

If 30,000 or so of the 80,000 at Bitterbridge were Stormlanders than 50,000 would be from the Reach. This seems to support d20's numbers given that probably not all the lords present were yet willing to commit their full forces and the Hightowers - who I believe with their bannerman could potentially field 15-20,000 soldiers alone - were staying out of the fray. Plus, the Reach is the largest AND most fertile part of Westeros.

Although the Hightowers didn't join Renly's army, it seems most of their bannermen did (Mullendore, Cuy, Beesbury). For this reason, I'd guess that the total strength of the Reach is probably a lot more closer to 80k than 100k.

16 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

The Manderlys are very tricky to guess, but I think that giving them 8,000 is way too much. When Wylis and Wendel join Robb's army they only bring 1,500 men. Afterwards, when Theon takes Winterfell, they only send a few hundred knights to help Rodrik take it back. It's very strange that a house that is shown as very loyal and devoted to the Starks contribute with such a small portion of their men in times of need. Also, Lord Wyman is said to bring only three hundred men with him at Winterfell when Roose summons him. One would think that Roose would be openly infuriated with him if he had reasons to believe Wyman had several thousand fresh men at white Harbor. For this reason, I think that your number should be reduced by half, if not more.

I assume that most available men for Manderlys are needed to man their navy. If each of those 46 ships would have crew of 200 men then they would need 9600 men just for that purpose. So there are 3 options

1. Manderlys either do not have so many warships or they are not going to use all of them same time.

2. Each ship would need less men to use.

3. Somehow House M has access over 9000 men.

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that most available men for Manderlys are needed to man their navy. If each of those 46 ships would have crew of 200 men then they would need 9600 men just for that purpose. So there are 3 options

1. Manderlys either do not have so many warships or they are not going to use all of them same time.

2. Each ship would need less men to use.

3. Somehow House M has access over 9000 men.

The crew of a warship are not all fighting men and Lord Manderly actually says that most of the men on the ships are fishermen from the white knife and the bite, these could be men who are not of fighting age and fitnes. So in terms of men of fighting age and fitnes you probably have to cut the number in half with the half of the crew not fighting fit running the ship and manning the sails during a fight.

4 hours ago, direpupy said:

The crew of a warship are not all fighting men and Lord Manderly actually says that most of the men on the ships are fishermen from the white knife and the bite, these could be men who are not of fighting age and fitnes. So in terms of men of fighting age and fitnes you probably have to cut the number in half with the half of the crew not fighting fit running the ship and manning the sails during a fight.

Actually most warships in Westeros are powered by oars not sails. So effective warships should have fit and well trained crews. After all warships with weak rowers would be easy prey to any warships with well trained and strong crew.

Or I assume that instead of manning those ships most men in those crews could become some kind of spearmen. Naturally assuming that there would be enough available spears and shields for them and somebody would train them.

23 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Actually most warships in Westeros are powered by oars not sails. So effective warships should have fit and well trained crews. After all warships with weak rowers would be easy prey to any warships with well trained and strong crew.

Or I assume that instead of manning those ships most men in those crews could become some kind of spearmen. Naturally assuming that there would be enough available spears and shields for them and somebody would train them.

Thats a common misconception on the fleets in westeros the galley's get the most attention because of the description of there number of oars which is why most people read over the fact that a lot of warships are sailed, for instance of the 200 ships in Stannis his fleet in the battle of the Blackwater 80 are sailed ships with no oars.

But even if we are talking war galley's it makes no difference the oars would need to be manned during the fight or you would not be able to disengage from a enemy ship or maneuver. So the rowers are not fighting men and the idea that rowers have to be young and "fit" is a misconception. In favorable winds even galley's would be powered by there square mainsail and not there oars and if rowing at cruising speed all day the exertion would still not be high because even after a day of rowing the would have to be able to bring the galley up to battle/raming speed. Tests with the full scale replica trireme Olympias in the late 1980's proved that you did not need young and "fit" men for rowing, a average person would be able to do it.

Archived