How did Euron discover about his abilities?

Zzz_243

From what we learn, it seems that to unlock greensight and skinchanging you have to suffer a near death experience. The deep coma allows to unlock the abilities one has inherited by blood. Howewer, we have no information of a near death experienced by Euron Greyjoy. So, if he really has similar abilities to Bran, how did he manage to discover them?

There is a chance that Euron used sailors and warriors of Lannister fleet as a sacrifice to activate his abilities. Or he used some kind of ritual and powered it up with souls and blood of victims of his plan when Victarion and Iron Fleet wiped out that fleet. 

I'm referring to when he says that he woke up wondering if he could fly as a kid. Bran and Jojen suffered a near death experience and probably others top (the corpses Bran sees in his dream are probably people who failed to "fly" and never woke up).

3 hours ago, Zzz_243 said:

I'm referring to when he says that he woke up wondering if he could fly as a kid. Bran and Jojen suffered a near death experience and probably others top (the corpses Bran sees in his dream are probably people who failed to "fly" and never woke up).

It seems that Euron fell or jumped off the cliffs of Pike into the sea as a child and was injured.  He may have been in a coma.  He might even have drowned and was revived.  This might account for the appearance of his crow's eye.  Some brain damage causing the pupil to remain dilated.  I'm guessing that he didn't survive the flying test but drowned instead.  

Euron is a conman.  He has cool toys like the armor.  It's not what he knows but what he has.  He has toys and he has warlocks.  He forces the warlocks to use their magic to serve him.  Euron on his own is just a man.  

CZ in 243?  I had a CZ 452 as a child.  In 22 LR.

19 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Whatever Euron has, it's not greensight. Jojen doesn't need any drugs to receive his prophetic visions. Nor does Bran (the paste was just to wed him to the trees, right?)

I'm not so sure about that. It is heavily implied - if not outright stated - that the Three Eyed Crow tried to make contact with other greenseers. I wonder if produced - for lack of a better term - a homing beacon. If the provided conditions were met, such as near death, you were able to see. It just may be that Euron was always sadistic, which is particularly unfortunate that the Three Eyed Crow clued him in to this other world/realm, and the Three Eyed Crow then decided to shut Euron out of the homing beacon, sensing the evil inside him. Since then, Euron has attempted to activate access to greensight other ways, such as wizards, sorcery, shade of evening, etc.

Now, for this theory to be true, we have to assume that the Three Eyed Crow's motives are also good, which is debatable.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

I'm not so sure about that.

I am. Greenseers don't need shade of the evening. Euron is team blue, not team green.

On 7/15/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

It is heavily implied - if not outright stated - that the Three Eyed Crow tried to make contact with other greenseers.

That is interesting - can you home in on a quote?

Exactly what "abilities" are we talking about?  Euron seems to be a good captain and leader of men, aside from his taste for violence.  I haven't seen any evidence that he has any magical powers or wisdom.  Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, Aebram said:

Exactly what "abilities" are we talking about?  Euron seems to be a good captain and leader of men, aside from his taste for violence.  I haven't seen any evidence that he has any magical powers or wisdom.  Did I miss something?

He is either very very lucky or he has some way to see what is happening. For instance he sailed and took over Iron Islands as soon as his older brother has died. Or he did not have to wait any report from his spies to know that. Another case was when Ironborn wiped out Lannister Fleet. Or Euron somehow knew where all those ships were and when was best time to carry that attack out.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, TheLastWolf said:

@Megorova would you bee so kind as to drag the 3EC into yet another thread again? - one of that theories few but loyal supporters

Concerning the books that are already out, I already said/wrote what I wanted, so - case closed and I'm out until TWOW's release. Nowadays I mostly visit this forum just to check whether there's any new info on the upcoming book or about the shows.

2 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Concerning the books that are already out, I already said/wrote what I wanted, so - case closed and I'm out until TWOW's release. Nowadays I mostly visit this forum just to check whether there's any new info on the upcoming book or about the shows.

So sad, hope the book comes soon so we can have the good ol' crowd bickering again.

I think "it is known" that Balon was killed by a Faceless Man. Didn't the Ghost of High Heart have a vision about that? Euron could have been anchored somewhere nearby, so that the FM could report to him shortly after the deed was done.

As for the Lannister fleet, sorry, I'm not sure what event you're referring to. when did this happen?

9 hours ago, Aebram said:

As for the Lannister fleet, sorry, I'm not sure what event you're referring to. when did this happen?

289 AC Ironborn started their rebellion by wiping out Lannister Fleet and raiding Lannisterport.

So for some reason Tywin did not have any spies watching IB and none of his ships were patrolling and guarding those targets. But that is very unlikely and would make Tywin look as competent as his late father.

Or I assume that actually Lannisters had some spies among Ironborn and some of Lannister warships were out patrolling. So Ironborn were either very lucky that they successfully bypassed all those countermeasures or they somehow "saw" and eliminated all those b4 they could warn Tywin about incoming raid.

Do you recall where this is documented? I looked in the World book, and it doesn't go into any details about the Greyjoy Rebellion of 289.

I seem to recall reading about an attack where the fleet sailed far from shore, so that they would not be seen until they were about to invade.  Sorry, I don't remember where I read that.  But if it does in fact refer to Euron attacking Lannisport, then no magic was required; just some skillful navigation, and the courage to sail beyond the sight of land.

• 1 month later...

Euron Greyjoy is no warlock, no embryonic god, and no father of sea dragons.  Euron is a try-hard, emo, edgelord.  He is also a consummate showman and a marketing genius.  

Euron is a massively successful pirate that has cultivated an air of mystique and amassed a tremendous fortune.  He buys his Valyrian artifacts, or steals them from temples or reliquaries.  He cuts the tongues out of his crews so that they don't spill his secret - that he is just a man like @Rondo said above.

And like @LynnS mentioned, he may have suffered actual brain damage from his near-death experience growing up.  That plus all the shade of the evening he consumes is a volatile mix.  He is dangerous without a doubt, but he's no force of nature .

Keep in mind that his little demonstration with the fire horn happened *after* Daenerys hatched her dragons, and wights breached the Wall, and red priest(esse)s had fire visions that actually came true, and the glass candles came back on.  That magic horn wasn't magic because Euron willed it, or passed any kind of skill check or anything. That thing was magic before all magic faded, and is so again now that all magic has resurged.

Archived