Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

You forgot Prodigy. Understandably. I think I only watched the first episode. 

I admit I haven't checked Prodigy out yet, but it kinda feels like the Resistance of the Trek Universe...it's there, it's part of it, but really, no one cared...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I admit I haven't checked Prodigy out yet, but it kinda feels like the Resistance of the Trek Universe...it's there, it's part of it, but really, no one cared...

Except without the Trek Universe part! Though to be fair it did become a bit less Star Warsy over time. But part of the problem is that it's not there - more than eight months after the premiere, we're only ten episodes into the first season and don't have a date for the rest.

Is Short Treks over? I guess maybe it wasn't really a show. But a couple of them were fine and I loved the Tribble one. Children of Mars was also effective even if it's weird to hear bowie in star trek as non diegetic music.

Prodigy is really great. A must watch in my opinion.

It is a show aimed at children but so are many other great shows. It pretty much embodies what Star Trek is and should be and it tells a very interesting story.

Easily better than the more weirdo/bad seasons of Discovery ... and infinitely better than Picard.

20 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Even better than SNW? Huh

When I watched Prodigy, it was exactly what I was looking for -- a short, uncomplicated space adventure. I eventually grew to like the characters. I really like Ella Purnell and John Noble as actors. Also, it’s Star Trek that’s not hobbled by Star Trek canon. And that last bit is what hinders my enjoyment of SNW. I want to like Chapel, M'Benga, Hemmer, and Pike. Yet, I don’t want to become fully invested in those characters because I know that soon they will have to be replaced by Bones, Scotty, and James T. Kirk. YMMV.

9 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

When I watched Prodigy, it was exactly what I was looking for -- a short, uncomplicated space adventure. I eventually grew to like the characters. I really like Ella Purnell and John Noble as actors. Also, it’s Star Trek that’s not hobbled by Star Trek canon. And that last bit is what hinders my enjoyment of SNW. I want to like Chapel, M'Benga, Hemmer, and Pike. Yet, I don’t want to become fully invested in those characters because I know that soon they will have to be replaced by Bones, Scotty, and James T. Kirk. YMMV.

Replaced soon? I don't think so. SNW is not doing to be redoing TOS. (Not that Chapel gets replaced, anyway.) Pretty sure they'll stop, at the least, at the point where Pike is not more the captain of Enterprise.

The only things that are spoiled by canon is certain characters inevitably surviving, since they are in TOS, and certain relationships being doomed  (because we know how they turn out from TOS).

From the finale, the accident that leads Pike to no longer captain the ship is six and a half years into the future. If each season covers a year, they've got six seasons and change more.

If they want, they can also give the Pike situation a proper ending by having the accident take place in the last season short before the ending ... to then jump ahead in time into TOS territory where some of the old crew band together, travel to Talos IV and figure out a way to heal Pike.

It is not that magical medical tech isn't a thing in this universe.

Pike could then return to Starfleet captaining another ship, and the problematic destiny situation would be resolved in a way that wouldn't break but extend existing canon. In fact, as things got closer and closer to the finale we could have certain characters doing lots of (secret) research trying to learn how to heal Delta radition burns ... and they could be successful shortly after the TOS two-parter parking Pike on Talos IV.

This could be double rewarding since they could also find a solution for the problem of the Talosians ... their insistence that their weirdo dream nonsense would infect every culture/species always sounded ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

This could be double rewarding since they could also find a solution for the problem of the Talosians ... their insistence that their weirdo dream nonsense would infect every culture/species always sounded ridiculous.

Hmmmm...can't remember the exact details, but the Marvel Star Trek comics, specifically Starfleet Academy, tackled this question once upon a time...

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, Lord Varys said:

Prodigy is really great. A must watch in my opinion.

It is a show aimed at children but so are many other great shows. It pretty much embodies what Star Trek is and should be and it tells a very interesting story.

Easily better than the more weirdo/bad seasons of Discovery ... and infinitely better than Picard.

I concur. I only watched it recently - and much like with Lower Decks, was surprised at the quality. It is even better than Lower Decks, since the early episodes of LD weren't that good (and Prodigy has plenty of humour of its own in spite of the more serious storylines). It appears the main Prodigy storylines are plotted out in advance, and it shows. Great characters, a consistent plot (something neither Picard nor Discovery nail) and I guess it also works as a first entrance to Star Trek for children.

Voice acting and animation are also top notch. There are scenes in Prodigy (like the fight around the shuttle while it is being constructed) and Lower Decks (like the stripping of the Cerritos) that would not be out of place in big budget movies.

Highly recommended.

Rumours now are that it is likely to return in october (after Lower Decks S3, I suppose).

Archived