Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I liked S3E1 of Lower Decks, but didnt love it. I dont know if we can discuss it in detail since I dont know where everyone is in their viewing - but based on the resolution it just seemed as if S2E10 was a waste of a set up.

Was it though?  I mean, the inversion of the expected result?  Everything the Lower Deckers did...?  And then have it turn out so Lower Deck for them...?

Bit more on the Lower Decks / Strange New Worlds crossover:

https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/star-trek-lower-decks-jack-quaid-clarifies-strange-new-worlds-crossover-details/

So Tawny Newsome and I are playing live-action versions of Mariner and Boimler," Quaid tells Variety. "We're coming on to Strange New Worlds. We're coming aboard the Enterprise. I won't get into the plot details of how exactly that happens. But we got to be on the physical set. We got to actually be in the bridge and the transporter bay and the hallways. We got to go all over the ship and interact with that amazing cast. There are some animated elements to the episode, but it's not like a Roger Rabbit where, like, there's an animated Boimler following Pike down a hallway. It's not like that.

I think it was the Mandolorian that sparked a discussion here before about voice actors playing their animated selves … you wonder if they intentionally made them alike to make such a crossover possible?

One idea that would work for the crossover … if not for the fact that they already did this and it was famously the worst finale ever…

Possibly the episode begins animated on the Cerritos, and Boimler and Mariner fire up the holodeck to settle a debate about something that happened on the Enterprise in Pike’s time. They enter, suddenly it’s live action. Could be a bit like the Voyager episode where we see alternate versions of the same events (the one where the Doctor was revived 900 years in the future).

It kinda fits what we know, I’m just not sure they’d go back to the same framing device as the Enterprise finale. If it were an episode of Lower Decks they totally would, and make fun of it along the way. But this is an episode of Strange New Worlds.

25 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

One idea that would work for the crossover … if not for the fact that they already did this and it was famously the worst finale ever…

Possibly the episode begins animated on the Cerritos, and Boimler and Mariner fire up the holodeck to settle a debate about something that happened on the Enterprise in Pike’s time. They enter, suddenly it’s live action. Could be a bit like the Voyager episode where we see alternate versions of the same events (the one where the Doctor was revived 900 years in the future).

It kinda fits what we know, I’m just not sure they’d go back to the same framing device as the Enterprise finale. If it were an episode of Lower Decks they totally would, and make fun of it along the way. But this is an episode of Strange New Worlds.

I've mentioned this before, but they need to use this to explain the Discovery Klingons. Reveal the first two seasons of Discovery were Boimler and Mariner watching in the holodeck and as they walk out have them tell some engineer to check the holo-emitters because the klingons are all fucked up. 

I'd be curious what order they'll do this in...SNW first I assume...?  I can absolutely see them doing a riff of some sort on "Trials and Tribulations" but in such a way that Mariner and Boimler are in the background of the SNW ep, without bringing direct attention to them...and then the Lower Decks episode tells the story from the perspective of Boimler and Mariner. 

I don't think the animation aspect plays into any part of the story, unless there is some sort of meta joke on it.  

What is amusing with that is that Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are airing on different channels in the UK (the former on Paramount+ and the latter on Amazon, and I think they have a lifetime licence for the duration of the show), so getting them to align is going to be interesting.

On 8/31/2022 at 5:29 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'd be curious what order they'll do this in...SNW first I assume...?  I can absolutely see them doing a riff of some sort on "Trials and Tribulations" but in such a way that Mariner and Boimler are in the background of the SNW ep, without bringing direct attention to them...and then the Lower Decks episode tells the story from the perspective of Boimler and Mariner. 

I don't think the animation aspect plays into any part of the story, unless there is some sort of meta joke on it.  

They keep referring to it as an episode, so I don’t think it’ll be an Arrowverse style where they handover to different shows. Sounds like just an episode of SNW.

It still cracks me up that they released that first "the TNG cast is returning!" teaser before season two was even half over. As if to say "we know this season sucks but we promise we'll salvage the final one" 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And just like that...they sucked me back in...

So is the Federation/Starfleet going through some 23rd century nostalgia? Is that why the Titan looks like a retro ship with new stuff? Member the late 23rd? Those were the days. Descendants of the Duffer Brothers making a TV show with teenagers battling Gorns from another dimension.

Lower Decks is on really good form at the moment. A Martok-GMed Star Trek Klingon roleplaying game would be amazing (Modiphius didn't get a heads-up so they could die in their actual Klingon roleplaying game).

Bringing back Leah Brahms and getting the original actor back to voice her was a deep cut as well.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:35 AM, Corvinus85 said:

So is the Federation/Starfleet going through some 23rd century nostalgia? Is that why the Titan looks like a retro ship with new stuff? Member the late 23rd? Those were the days. Descendants of the Duffer Brothers making a TV show with teenagers battling Gorns from another dimension.

Refit I think, or the Titan-A. Picard is taking place 20 years after we see the Titan in Lower Decks.

Archived