Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Wouter said:

The last episode of Lower Decks was very good. Both the Rutherford plot and the Starfleet booth worked. Best ep of season 3, so far.

To be honest, I've been enjoying all of season 3, but yea, I really liked the most recent episode a lot as well. Something about Lower Decks just leaves me feeling happy, after watching an episode.

I think the Rutherford backstory is one of the few elements in Lower Decks that  has a multi-episode arc, and I like how they've teased it along. Speaking of, what ever happened after the episode where we looked at lower decks in the various ships (Klingon, Vulcan, Pakled and Fed)? I thought we were going to see more of the Vulcan ensign who defied stereotypes but nothing ever came of it.

Star trek 4 just can't catch a break.

‘Star Trek’ Sequel Removed by Paramount From Upcoming Film Slate

The rather inevitable news comes roughly one month after director Matt Shakman exited the “Star Trek” film, which was nominally set to be the fourth cinematic tour of duty for Chris Pine as Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, Karl Urban as Bones, John Cho as Sulu and Simon Pegg as Scotty. Shakman was successfully courted by Marvel Studios to helm its “Fantastic Four” reboot, reuniting the “WandaVision” director with the studio, after “Spider-Man: No Way Home” director Jon Watts left that film in April.

Do they really not get these directors under contract before announcing them? 

That was a great episode, and having Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman back was lovely, but you can definitely hear the age in their voices. Also, Armin wasn't wearing prosthetics or anything to give himself the traditional Quark accent, so he was just speaking with his normal voice and sounded nothing like Quark. They might as well have gotten a soundalike.

The very slow docking procedure whilst the DS9 theme played was amazing. "Keep circling!"

It might have also been good to have tried to get Bashir and Ezri back, as they should both still be around, and the Defiant-A should still be assigned the station but there was no sign of that, but I guess they only had a finite budget for recreating DS9 assets, especially given the almost unnecessary 1:1 recreation of Ops and the attention to detail for things like the Dabo table.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

Star trek 4 just can't catch a break.

‘Star Trek’ Sequel Removed by Paramount From Upcoming Film Slate

Do they really not get these directors under contract before announcing them? 

Yes, but the contracts will have various negotiated end clauses, such as being able to bow out if they are not going to hit the shooting dates and that then causes a clash with the director's next, pre-booked project. Also, another studio can buy out the contract for a nominal fee (I imagine that's chump change for Marvel at this point).

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That was a great episode, and having Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman back was lovely, but you can definitely hear the age in their voices. Also, Armin wasn't wearing prosthetics or anything to give himself the traditional Quark accent, so he was just speaking with his normal voice and sounded nothing like Quark. They might as well have gotten a soundalike.

The very slow docking procedure whilst the DS9 theme played was amazing. "Keep circling!"

It might have also been good to have tried to get Bashir and Ezri back, as they should both still be around, and the Defiant-A should still be assigned the station but there was no sign of that, but I guess they only had a finite budget for recreating DS9 assets, especially given the almost unnecessary 1:1 recreation of Ops and the attention to detail for things like the Dabo table.

Yes, but the contracts will have various negotiated end clauses, such as being able to bow out if they are not going to hit the shooting dates and that then causes a clash with the director's next, pre-booked project. Also, another studio can buy out the contract for a nominal fee (I imagine that's chump change for Marvel at this point).

I can’t wait for LD season 3 to be released on DVD.  I refuse to pay for another streaming service.

Loved the episode, even though, objectively speaking, the story might not have been their strongest one. Idc! Loved having Kira (back to her early haircut, yay!) and Quark back. (I actually thought while, yes, he should have worn the prosthetics, he sounded younger than I expected. I wasn't sure it was really him.) For me, only Garak and maybe O'Brien were missing. (Well, and Odo, of course, but well... RIP René.)

Of course Kira knew Shaxs from the resistance. "I owe you!" - "No, I owe you!"

I really miss DS9.

I thought Mariner's storyline was ok, but I'd have preferred her be on DS9 more.

I wouldn't mind if they'd made the DS9 crossover a three-parter.

6 hours ago, felice said:

There's nothing stopping them from going back there again in future episodes...

Indeed!

Unlike a live-action show, which might shy away from rebuilding those huge sets (and cgi just wouldn't be the same).

The 7th Rule has an interview/ episode review with Armin and Nana. He goes into detail about the teeth (which he did wear, but different ones and maybe they did something in post-production to reduce the effect), and they pay tribute to Louise Fletcher. It's quite lovely. The first 30 minutes or so of this:

As far as I'm concerned, I could care less if we ever got another Abrams universe, Trek film. I've stated around here many times, how I can't stand the guy and his "mystery box" bs style of storytelling. I liked Beyond though, I'll give his trilogy that much. 

This week's episode of Lower Decks was a lot of fun, but it's sort of an episode that I wish the trailers for season 3, didn't spoil ahead of time. I knew this was coming and I knew it would be fun, but I just wish it was something that caught me unexpected; if that makes sense. As stated above, Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman, both sound very different; in Shimerman's case, I wasn't even sure it was him. 

Truth be told, as much as I enjoyed the fan service, I think I enjoyed the Mariner subplot the most. It's easily where I got most of my laughs from this week. The Tendi plot was my least favorite and I found that Orion security guy, to be beyond annoying...................which I get was the point, but I still wanted to punch him in the face, every time he opened his mouth.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, DaveSumm said:

I might have misheard, but did Lower Decks just confirm that Sisko is still in the wormhole 5 years later? (I think 5 years, it’s 2380).

What we left behind, the documentary about DS9, had Ira Behr sit with DS9 writers and plot out an imaginary 8th season where Sisko returns from the wormhole to the station a good 20 years in the future, IIRC. Nothing in canon suggests he left it at any point in time.

Archived