Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Sisko is the best captain.

Sisko is the best captain if you want to go into battle with a fleet and if you want someone to intimidate the opposition into backing down by convincing them he's fucking off his rocker.

Picard is the best captain to negotiate things peacefully.

Janeway is the best captain to massively confuse the enemy by doing a complete 180 degrees between any two given weeks.

Kirk is the best captain if you need to DOUBLE PUNCH a big green lizard and then seduce his girlfriend.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Sisko is the best captain if you want to go into battle with a fleet and if you want someone to intimidate the opposition into backing down by convincing them he's fucking off his rocker.

Janeway is the best captain to massively confuse the enemy by doing a complete 180 degrees between any two given weeks.

Kirk is the best captain if you need to DOUBLE PUNCH a big green lizard and then seduce his girlfriend.

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Sisko is also the administrator of a space-station that functions as a trade hub. I don't see Kirk doing that.

Of course, we have "newer" captains to consider, and I think Pike is at the forefront there. 

17 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I suspect that Shatner's transformation into Shatner...started with the season 2 episode, "A Piece of the Action"...

I heard a theory that Shatner’s hamming things up was more pronounced in the dodgier episodes, possibly to distract from ropy scripts. Which would be more common as the show went on, especially season 3

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Got to the end of Season 2.

Next up, Spock's Brain.

That's a bad one.  Planet of bimbos in mini-skirts.  It has some redeeming qualities including McCoy learning and then forgetting the art of brain surgery, which was great.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Sisko is also the administrator of a space-station that functions as a trade hub. I don't see Kirk doing that.

Of course, we have "newer" captains to consider, and I think Pike is at the forefront there. 

He was also the only captain to have a child and pretty much raise him as a single father. None of the other captains have done anything remotely approaching that, even though they're all on 'science' vessels with numerous families around. Tells me Federation isn't all into that work-life balance at all.

As a matter of fact, all the other biggies like the Klingons and Romulans don't have families or children on any of their ships that also go into battle. The Federation can do it in desperate straits, as "Yesterday's Enterprise" showed.

Just finished the first season of Prodigy.

Pretty good. They really delivered on pretty much all fronts.

Spoiler

One little quibble would be the pointless trial at the end. I get it - it was a callback to the trial at the end of Star Trek IV, but Kirk and company were actually Federation citizens/Starfleet officers who stole Starfleet/Federation property ... while our gang were kids from the fucking Delta Quadrant who didn't even know that the Federation/Starfleet existed when they took a ship that was just lying in a cave, abandoned by whatever crew it may have had. In no (enlightened) court of law in the universe can this be construed to be 'a crime'. Especially not if the kids in question did everything in their power to return said ship to its rightful owners.

There could be a discussion whether the gang qualified for Starfleet, etc. ... but it should have been consensus that they committed no crime.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:07 AM, Lord Varys said:

Just finished the first season of Prodigy.

Pretty good. They really delivered on pretty much all fronts.

Hide contents

One little quibble would be the pointless trial at the end. I get it - it was a callback to the trial at the end of Star Trek IV, but Kirk and company were actually Federation citizens/Starfleet officers who stole Starfleet/Federation property ... while our gang were kids from the fucking Delta Quadrant who didn't even know that the Federation/Starfleet existed when they took a ship that was just lying in a cave, abandoned by whatever crew it may have had. In no (enlightened) court of law in the universe can this be construed to be 'a crime'. Especially not if the kids in question did everything in their power to return said ship to its rightful owners.

Their could be a discussion whether the gang qualified for Starfleet, etc. ... but it should have been consensus that they committed no crime.

Spoiler

Well, Starfleet probably would want an investigation into what actually happened and how the Protostar ended up with an alien weapon in a position that could and did threaten Starfleet vessels. However, the results of this investigation should also have been quite clear, not in the least because Janeway would be a prime witness in their favour.

There are some minor things they could potentially be charged with though, like making first contact with an alien species while wearing Starfleet uniforms and failing to contact Starfleet (and give the ship back) at the Denaxi depot. Dal taking over Janeway's body (though that wasn't his intention; he failed to tell the crew of the Dauntless, though) also seems to have ruffled some feathers.

Specifically for Gwyn, her role in Tars Lamora (and attempt to gain control of the Protostar in the name of her father) could also lead to charges. However, I think it's clear that Starfleet takes the Vau N'akat seriously after losing a significant number of ships, and they probably wanted Gwyn's help in defusing that situation as much as she wanted Starfleets help to get to Solum. She would be much more useful as an emissary of sorts (free of the prime directive, as she is Vau N'akat herself, and nominally not part of Starfleet) rather than being held in some Federation equivalent of youth protection.

@Wouter:

Spoiler

I agree that there would have been an investigation. But that's another annoying thing - we have Janeway's gang (one of the Vulcan dudes Janeway then dresses down) call them 'criminals' at a point where there was no proper investigation yet ... and they clearly don't have all pieces of the puzzle yet. That's just very bad methodology on the guy's part.

Even their original conclusion that whoever has the Protostar now is a potential or knows what happened to Chakotay and his crew is faulty. Time has passed. The ship could (and actually did) pass to quite some hands until the kids found it. Finding the ship is a promising puzzle piece in the larger search for Chakotay and his crew ... but it isn't even remotely a given that the present owners of the ship actually know anything about him.

While you list some thing that might be offenses for Federation citizens ... I don't think it makes that people from tens of thousands of lightyears away fall under Federation jurisdiction. Sure enough, if they committed crimes against the Federation in Federation space it might be a different thing. But they didn't. If you don't want foreign children to play with your ships, tech, uniforms, etc. then ensure your things are not lying around in the Delta Quadrant.

I'd agree that impersonating Starfleet officers, etc. could be construed as a reason why they should not be allowed to join Starfleet - but it wouldn't be a crime for non-Federation citizens. Even less so since a Federation AI construct - the Janeway hologram - aided and abetted them in more or less all their actions.

The unintentional body swap thing was certainly not handled well on Dal's part but my impression is that the writers want him to be too overwhelmed by what happened to him to not think about actually telling Janeway's people what has happened to him (or them).

Them first being wary and not completely trusting the Federation just because the records say they are great people also is nothing that should be held against them - the Janeway program was corrupted in a number of ways, so the picture the Federation was painting of itself might not have been entirely accurate.

In light of the fact that Gwyn is the offspring of a time-traveller whose people have yet to make first contact with the Federation - and who might actually have legitimate issues with how the first contact between them and the Federation went - it would also be hard to charge her with something. Retaking a ship she deemed her father's property/prize shouldn't be problematic since from her POV it could easily have been something the Vau N'akat have a legal claim to. In a sense, the Protostar is a ship wreck, and we don't return the gold from some Spanish wreck from the 16th century to the Republic of Spain these days ... much less to the legal heirs of whoever may have owned that ship 500 years ago.

But as I said - this is actually just a minor quibble.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Cas Stark said:

That's a bad one.  Planet of bimbos in mini-skirts.  It has some redeeming qualities including McCoy learning and then forgetting the art of brain surgery, which was great.

Having just watched the entirety of TOS for the first time a couple of months ago, Spock's Brain is uh not that bad. It's far from good, but it's dumb, largely harmless, campy fun. It's the equivalent of a "so bad it's good" episode. There are many other far worse episodes in TOS and even some worse episodes in later series.

So yeah, Spock's Brain, it won't kill you. A ringing endorsement from me, I guess.

@Lord Varys:

Spoiler

The Starfleet brass probably took some time to be convinced that those kids were no danger (they didn't yet know exactly what had happened, the word from Janeway may not have been enough) and could become valuable assets.

Dal and Gwyn specifically posed extra problems, the first because he is an augment and the second because I suppose that Starfleet now has flagged the Vau N'akat as a non-negligible threat. If there are hardcore proponents of the Prime Directive and Temporal Directive among the brass, those could potentially want to attempt to stop Gwyn from influencing the timeline (because she only exists due to timetravel). It seems the opposite viewpoint won out, which is to say that they should encourage her to seek out her people on Solum and effectively act as an emissary for the Federation (dancing around the prime directive). This way, hopefully they can demine the situation and prepare an eventual succesful (and official) first contact.

Either way, the charges may also have been intended as a form of leverage to steer her actions in the direction wanted. Gwyn obviously knew the charges (at least against her) would be dropped before Janeway told the others, so I assume this may have been coupled with her accepting to work in concert with Starfleet - without being part of it.

Ooh. Earth Spacedock having the external latches for the late 24th/early 25th Century ships which are too big to fit through the space doors is a nice nod to TNGthe sfx guys got grumpy when the Enterprise-D docked with the same model space station in 11001001, as they noted it would be far too big, and the producers basically said tough, they wanted to reuse the shots from ST3 to save money.

A fascinating history of Star Trek tabletop RPGs.

I had some of the FASA sourcebooks from the 1980s when my parents were in the "pick up anything with Star Trek on it to entertain The Boy" zone, so bizarrely I had several sourcebooks but not the original RPG. I did have the Introduction to Star Fleet Battles game and remember being utterly perplexed by how it had Trek ships in it but no mention of the characters or situation.

I have got some of the recent Modiphius stuff and it is excellent. Very glad to hear they've renewed the licence for several more years.

Archived