Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Finished the rewatch of the first season of Rome. Wonderful stuff. Very bad history, as far as actual characters and events, but it did a decent job of getting across how ancient Roman society was in some ways very, very different from our own, and in some ways not that different at all.

Star Trek: Rome? ;)

On 2/8/2023 at 1:06 PM, Rippounet said:

Finally managed to finish Picard season 2 at some point these last few weeks.

Man, that was sooo bad.

“Guys, we need to get out of here”. 

That line mentally broke me in season 2. It’s the most out of character line I’ve heard him say, since this mess started. 

That's odd. In the new TV canon, the Enterprise-E apparently leaves service or is destroyed during a classified mission by 2386 at the latest. The Odyssey-class Enterprise-F is launched in 2386 but is already scheduled for decommissioning just fifteen years later during the events of Picard Season 3.

So they've just brought the F into the TV canon and are retiring it already. Presumably there's a G on the horizon.

Recall that we're not supposed to get the J until the 26th Century, so that means the G, H and I have to span the entire 25th Century (and we've had four, by the look of it, Enterprises in the last forty years). Of course, the J was from a timeline that's probably been negated, so they're not too beholden to that.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:
That's odd. In the new TV canon, the Enterprise-E apparently leaves service or is destroyed during a classified mission by 2386 at the latest. The Odyssey-class Enterprise-F is launched in 2386 but is already scheduled for decommissioning just fifteen years later during the events of Picard Season 3.

So they've just brought the F into the TV canon and are retiring it already. Presumably there's a G on the horizon.

That's extremely odd. Makes it sound the cowards want to skip the F entirely and not show it onscreen to show their own G instead. But why bother? If they want to avoid acknowledging STO's F or pay for the royalties for the use of the E, it would have been entirely within their rights to do just their own take on the F.

I caught most of that TNG episode where they pass out for "thirty seconds" and Data is covering up that it was longer. One of the better episodes but does it make any sense that they don't "synch up" with the nearest starbase and see their clock is off by a day? Does time not work that way in space?  or is it one of those things like "wait wouldn't Geordie and Ro phase through the floors also?" 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I caught most of that TNG episode where they pass out for "thirty seconds" and Data is covering up that it was longer. One of the better episodes but does it make any sense that they don't "synch up" with the nearest starbase and see their clock is off by a day? Does time not work that way in space?  or is it one of those things like "wait wouldn't Geordie and Ro phase through the floors also?" 

Good point.

Possible explanation:

When the Enterprise is at full impulse, it’s goinf at half the speed of light (I believe). Maybe relativity means there’s always an expected elasticity when synching times?

I've glanced through some of the S3 Picard reviews, and the consensus seems to be that while it is better than S1/S2 because of the presence of the TNG cast, and with numerous 'fan service' moments littered throughout the episodes (think 1-6 are available now), it still has some issues with clunky plot devices, exposition-heavy scenes and lack of a great villain counterfoil.

So I'll probably give it a go since its the last time we'll see the TNG crew together and it does have some promise. Still, you have to wonder if Kurtzman et.al. had been around during the 80s=90s if we'd ever have any Trek that was classic by today's standards (too early to say if SNW etc. will get there, and we may all have some recency bias)

On 2/15/2023 at 6:29 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

I've glanced through some of the S3 Picard reviews, and the consensus seems to be that while it is better than S1/S2 because of the presence of the TNG cast, and with numerous 'fan service' moments littered throughout the episodes (think 1-6 are available now), it still has some issues with clunky plot devices, exposition-heavy scenes and lack of a great villain counterfoil.

So I'll probably give it a go since its the last time we'll see the TNG crew together and it does have some promise. Still, you have to wonder if Kurtzman et.al. had been around during the 80s=90s if we'd ever have any Trek that was classic by today's standards (too early to say if SNW etc. will get there, and we may all have some recency bias)

I'll watch a bit of it for nostalgia's sake, but my expectations are very low.

If nothing else, the credits are top-notch:

Interesting info from there:

• The Enterprise-A, original Excelsior, Defiant and USS Voyager are all located at Starfleet Museum, Athan Prime. We already know from Picard S2 that the saucer section of the Enterprise-D is also there. Some speculation that the Klingon Bird of Prey Bounty is also there.
  • The Pioneer-class USS Pioneer (NCC-1500) is also present. This is a key starting ship in the 23rd Century timeline for Star Trek Online.
  • The Constellation-class USS Constance is shown on a screen, reported lost in action on Stardate 44002.3. That's the date of the Battle of Wolf 359. The text indicates the ship was deployed on the starboard flank of the Federation attack line, where it was destroyed. Some speculation that Titan-A captain Shaw may have lost family on the Constance.
  • NCC-80107 is predominantly displayed on a schematic of the museum. This is the registry number of the Luna-class USS Ganymede, sister-ship of Riker's USS Titan.
  • Another registry appears to be NCC-52106, although it's blurred. This would be the Galaxy-class USS Gordoria, which plays a key role in several Star Trek Online missions.
  • Seven of Nine's real name is redacted on her file, for some reason.
  • The sheet music is apparently for "Pop Goes the Weasel," the song Data is attempting to whistle in Encounter at Farpoint.
  • The neurographic scan is the scan Crusher performs on Picard to confirm his irumodic syndrome.

Just watched the first episode of season 3

Spoiler

It was interesting.  Are all Capitans who aren’t the focus of shows in StarFleet just assholes? Because that man was a serious douchecanoe.  Why are Deanna and Riker’s daughter happy to have time away from Riker?  Dr. Crusher’s son is Picard’s son… right?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just watched the first episode of season 3

Reveal hidden contents

It was interesting.  Are all Capitans who aren’t the focus of shows in StarFleet just assholes? Because that man was a serious douchecanoe.  Why are Deanna and Riker’s daughter happy to have time away from Riker?  Dr. Crusher’s son is Picard’s son… right?

Spoiler

The actor playing Crusher's son was born in 1988, during Season 2 of TNG when Crusher was absent, so it's possible Picard and Crusher had an offscreen hook-up in Season 1 and he was born afterwards. Cheesy, but possible.

There's a theory either that Shaw's parents were on the Constance and killed by the Borg, or he's been infected by the Conspiracy parasites.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

The actor playing Crusher's son was born in 1988, during Season 2 of TNG when Crusher was absent, so it's possible Picard and Crusher had an offscreen hook-up in Season 1 and he was born afterwards. Cheesy, but possible.

There's a theory either that Shaw's parents were on the Constance and killed by the Borg, or he's been infected by the Conspiracy parasites.

Spoiler

Another question… I just rewatched BoBW I and II… the “Borg computer virus” is a complete retcon…

18 hours ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Not that they'd care, but doesn't that TNG episode where the two are captured and mentally linked strongly suggest they never got together? It's been a while but isn't Crusher surprised at his sexual feelings towards her? That doesn't make much sense if they have a child together. Of course that'd kinda be the least of it...

Bah, do they have to start every single season of that show by having Picard sit in his castle, sift through his memorabilia, and long for the stars? Yes, he is an old man, but shouldn't he be an old man who moved beyond that shit due to events depicted in seasons 1-2?

Also, are he and Laris together now ... or not. And if they are - and the kiss would imply that - why the hell doesn't she accompany him?

Regarding the mystery of the new Crusher:

Spoiler

There is no chance that Jean-Luc and Beverly did have a son during TNG. If Picard is the guy's father then it would have happened after the end of the series, possibly only after Nemesis. In fact, one imagines that part of the reason they moved this season a number of years after season 2 of Picard would indicate they did this so that the son plotline can make sense.

The idea that Beverly would keep a son from Jean-Luc after his entire family died in Generations makes no sense at all. They couldn't go with that - and one imagines it would also make sense to give Wesley a half-brother while they are still all on the Enterprise. That would be a complete shitshow and likely not fit with the way the characters are depicted throughout TNG. (Not beyond the writing of Picard, of course, but let's hope they don't do that.)

The age of the actor doesn't mean the character is as old as the actor.

If @RumHam remembers correctly that an episode of TNG suggests that Beverly and Jean-Luc didn't 'try at being lovers' by that time - as they did at a later point as per the new Picard episode - then the son must have been born later.

As a plot device this reeks so much as a rehash of ST II & III that it is kind of silly - one just hope the ending will different. I get it that they want to give Picard a child after all, but why not just try that plot in season 1, perhaps by reintroducing Picard as a married man living on his feudal estate, with his child a cadet at the Academy or something along those lines? His marriage/relationship could have failed and he could still be a grumpy old man. But going with the secret son plot yet again isn't a great idea at all.

One hopes Jean-Luc and Beverly failed in part because he didn't want to try to have children while she wanted to - kind of explaining why she never told him. And that could also be combined with whatever secret mission/threat is going on there.

Regarding Captain Asshole:

Man, is the dialogue written badly there. So Picard is insulted as an 'ex-Borg' - just stop this ridiculous discrimination thing there. These people are people who were mind-raped and twisted by a monstrous collective - their families and friends would be glad to get them back. They would not vilify them.

Also, of course, Picard is now (allegedly, I guess) a fucking robot. So if you want to insult him, go with him being literally no longer human. I mean, if you writers no longer like 'Robo-Picard' then why on earth didn't you use Q's presence in the last season to have Picard being transformed back into a human being? But dropping this plotline just makes no sense at all.

And what was that about 'above your pay grade' nonsense? Isn't that the Federation where they no longer have money and thus don't have 'pay grades'?

Also, of course, a very cheap plot device to have some asshole superior officer. The evil/incompetent admirals of the earlier shows were also pretty cheap.

And Seven - well, how silly is it for her to be effectively joining Starfleet in Voyager to have no longer be part of Starfleet in Picard to her going back to be in Starfleet in Picard - and for it to suck again, apparently.

Archived