Star Trek: There! Are! 4! shows!

IheartIheartTesla

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why would a child of Beverly Crusher have an English accent?  Why would Crusher never tell Picard about his son?  Why did Beverly want to keep StarFleet out of this and why isn’t she pissed StarFleet is all up in this?

One of those questions is answered in the episode.

Spoiler

They explicitly say that they've been pursued by Klingons, people wearing Starfleet uniforms and others, hence the "trust no one" thing.

Accents are, apparently in the 25th Century, genetically passed down from father to son regardless of upbringing.

My personal hope is that Jack isn't Picard's son, but Picard said he was simply to protect him.

Sometime during the 23rd century, the French and the British finally worked to overcome their differences and create ideal humans. They chose the British accent, phlegm, and sense of humor, and added French cuisine and fashion.

Hence why Star Trek is a utopia.

Guys, S2Ep4 of Picard already explained this mystery (as described by Jean-Luc to Jurati). His ancestors hid in the tunnels under Chateau Picard (shades of GoT?) from the Nazis during WWII and then fled to the UK for safety. Chateau Picard was only reoccupied much later, by which time the Picard family had acquired an English accent which I guess they held on to. Not sure it makes complete sense, but its some form of explanation

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Guys, S2Ep4 of Picard already explained this mystery (as described by Jean-Luc to Jurati). His ancestors hid in the tunnels under Chateau Picard (shades of GoT?) from the Nazis during WWII and then fled to the UK for safety. Chateau Picard was only reoccupied much later, by which time the Picard family had acquired an English accent which I guess they held on to. Not sure it makes complete sense, but its some form of explanation

Again, the in-universe 'explanation' for Picard's accent are ludicrous - as is the notion that folks no longer speak French in the 24th century. French is the language that will outlive all other European languages ... and as long as there is a France. And there is still a France in the 24th century.

While making TNG's captain a Frenchman was a great idea ... casting a British actor was not.

Infinitely better to later years 'Anglo-American Star Trek'. TOS did have a black woman who was disinctly not African American, and an Asian guy who wasn't Asian American and a Russian who actually was from Russia.

DS9 and Voyager pair mixed folks from the Anglosphere (Julian Bashir, Benjamin Sisko, Harry Kim) with clear Anglo-American folks (Miles O'Brien, Tom Paris, Kathryn Janeway).

Worst in this regard is the all-out British-American colonizer crew of Enterprise. There we have the Yankee captain, the Yankee engineer, the British security dude (with a family history in the Royal Navy!) and the space-born black guy with an English name paired with the token Japanese woman. If there should have been a ship crew representing the breadth of humanity insofar as continents and countries and regions are concerned then Starfleet's big first ship.

Also, it strikes one as very one-sided to make warp drive guy an American (retroactively, originally Cochrane was Alpha-Centauri), better warp drive guy (Archer's dad) American, Archer American, and subsequently Pike and Kirk American.

Sure enough - it is an American show but a show about an international or transnational organization.

The new Trek shows don't make that better - there we also have people who seem, for the most part, somewhat diverse people from the English-speaking world ... but not the entire world.

That's why I loathe the fact that La'an is not Indian. Number One - while secretly an alien - is pretending to be a British/American woman. Michael Burnham does have a British/American name. Ditto with Tilly, Culber, and Tyler. Stamets could be from some other place, but he doesn't talk like that.

Even Dr. M'Benga got the given name 'Joseph' in SNW.

Wait, so Odo's clothes are a part of him. covering his totally optional junk, I get that. But like what is his communicator? cause it seems likes it part of him when it comes to shape shifting but also that makes no sense? the dude can't get a face quite right. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Wait, so Odo's clothes are a part of him. covering his totally optional junk, I get that. But like what is his communicator? cause it seems likes it part of him when it comes to shape shifting but also that makes no sense? the dude can't get a face quite right. 

Yea, Odo's communicator being a part of him never made sense to me either. The clothing I can understand, but he's actually able to use his body to make electrical devices as well, just seems weird.

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

DS9 and Voyager pair mixed folks from the Anglosphere (Julian Bashir, Benjamin Sisko, Harry Kim) with clear Anglo-American folks (Miles O'Brien, Tom Paris, Kathryn Janeway).

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but I don't think an Irishman like O'Brien would appreciate being called either Anglo or American.

9 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Trip was from thr American south, so calling him a yankee might not go down well.

That's me painting folks abroad with too broad a brush ;-). But I honestly had forgotten where the fuck Trip was from.

3 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but I don't think an Irishman like O'Brien would appreciate being called either Anglo or American.

If he still had issues with that kind of thing then ST's unified Earth would really suck. That said - Irishmen as native speakers of the English language and growing up in the larger Anglosphere make them not really *that different* from other Anglo-Americans. At least from an outside POV.

But I'd agree that O'Brien doesn't fit exactly in the same kind of category as the others - also because he is no officer, etc.

I just sorta pecked out some notes in here as I watched. I don't really feel like editing them into a proper post. 

Spoiler

They addressed the accent! 

The opening with Riker talking about parenting is weird since we know he let the kid in question die rather than defy the Federation's ban on synthetics. Hopefully they're going to go back to that? But I may be giving them too much credit. 

Picard: "You said trust no one, why?"

Beverly: "Sorry, I'd been binging the X-Files." 

Missed opportunity there. 

The "sub-contractor" thing was a little weird, but more thought than they put into "why is worf here?" than they did for Nemesis. 

Oh shit Dr. Strange must be the big bad. 

Apparently Worf went through a phase of sodomizing people with his bat-leth. Good to know. 

Yaaay huge twist! I think we all suspected it was Conspirisy aliens or Changelings. I'm glad it's the latter. It's mildly heartbreaking that Auberjonois is no longer with us to bring Odo back. I wonder if they'll take the obvious route and recast the character who can take any form or just leave it at that reference to him.

Now I'm hoping to actually see DS9 and Kira in live action again. I'm re-watching DS9 and she's such a great character. 

Spoiler

As soon as the Changeling was revealed, and suddenly Riker and Picard seemed to be at a cross purpose, I wondered if Riker hadn't been switched out too...

As, "legacy" seems to be the defining theme of the season, and what we know about what's still to come in following episodes, I'm not certain the story isn't about ALL of Picard and the Enterprise D's enemies coming at them likensome sort of evil team up. The Changelings aren't specific to TNG, but they Cold just be the distraction and the real enemies could still be the alien parasites, Lore, Moriarty, and lord knows who else...I just don't know how you pull that off in only seven more episodes.

That said, for the most part, episode three was strong. The Picard/Crusher talk...that just harkened back to Wrath of Khan and how legacy effected Kirk.  So it was a nice little play on things for me, though there was even more impact on Picard, as we actually know Crusher...

I'm still highly invested this season. I don't care what you all think...

That was a positive surprise.

Spoiler

Aside from senile quarrel.

But, man, wrong crew for Dominion stuff! Also, the Dominion was never defeated. Only their Alpha Quadrant forces were.

With Auberjonois gone, the character they should bring back is the female Changeling. She might still be in Federation captivity somewhere.

If we talk DS9 now, why not add lover/husband of Jadzia Dax to Worf's titles. Nobody gives a shit about Gowron.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That was a positive surprise.

Hide contents

Aside from senile quarrel.

But, man, wrong crew for Dominion stuff! Also, the Dominion was never defeated. Only their Alpha Quadrant forces were.

With Auberjonois gone, the character they should bring back is the female Changeling. She might still be in Federation captivity somewhere.

If we talk DS9 now, why not add lover/husband of Jadzia Dax to Worf's titles. Nobody gives a shit about Gowron.

Spoiler

That isn't 100% correct though...didn't Odo return to the Link in the Delta Quadrant?  Effectively ending the war overall? 

And that the Dominion isn't a TNG antagonist, well that's what leads me to believe they're the bluff...just like the stolen portal tech...

Salome Jens is 87 years old, it's supremely unlikely they will be bringing her back in a major way.

Spoiler

I wonder if they are nodding to the Star Trek Online storyline in which the 2500 Dominion ships lost in the wormhole suddenly reappear 30 years later and resume the war?

Discovery ending is not a surprise. I've seen some estimates putting its budget at well over $10 million per episode by Season 4 and its original job, of getting eyeballs on CBS All Access/Paramount+ is certainly complete by this stage. The show was also feeling a bit redundant at this point, although I did think its fourth season was easily its best and hinted at a much most overtly transhuman post-Singularity Star Trek that could be quite interesting (even if it it never really fulfilled that).

With Picard also ending that leaves us with just SNW as the sole live-action show on air. I suspect they'll want at least a second show and the proposed Legacy show (a sequel to Picard carrying on in the same time period, presumably without Picard or him reduced to guest roles) sounds like its quite likely to happen.

Archived