Instead of Bran becoming King of Westeros I think at the end of the books he'll become the King in the North

Maybe but weirdly it could make a lot of sense him ending up king of Westeros. Most of the other surviving members of the great houses are either going into any post war resolution council to figure out who should be in charge with lots of baggage that would arguably prevent them becoming king without vast opposition. The Baratheons are likely to be all dead in legitimate lines that aren't distant cousins. Robin Arryn may not survive and Harry the Heir doesn't exactly look like kingly material from what we've seen if he survives. The Lannisters of any relations have no hope. The Greyjoys fall into the same boat. Edmure is likely to be the only Tully to survive and he's not exactly looked upon well by everyone so he might get pushed aside. The Tyrells have historically struggled to control their own region and they come from a lesser house before the conquest and that assumes Cersei leaves any alive if she has the opportunity to get her way. The Martells might be in an alright position after everything has ended but it's possible Arianne meets an unfortunate end if she gets too closely involved with Aegon and Tyrstane and Doran might not be in an ideal position if backing Aegon ends up getting them badly burnt. King Bran basically requires no Targaryen claimants of any merit to be in positions of power so assume Aegon and Dany kill each other or remove themselves from the game in some dramatic fashion and Jon decides maybe he just wants nothing to do with it and wanders off or his legitimacy (if he has any) is called too much into question to be taken seriously.

That leaves the Starks and Bran who have had much more shit done to them than they've been dishing out and Bran himself has spent a good chunk of the civil strife lost or beyond the wall conveniently not making political enemies. The fact he can't walk may only encourage ambitious lords hoping to take advantage of a weak king to support him in hopes of crippling royal authority.

I think King Bran in the vacuum of legitimate leadership (possible given the Baratheons look likely to  die off completely and the Targaryens  I don't think have much better odds and the Martells may end up just as badly and have been diplomatically isolated for almost a generation) has a number of advantages. He has few hardened political enemies who might bare grudges against him and may end up with powerfully allies in a number of regions depending on how the cards fall at the end. His opponents to take the position are largely discredited and he may well have other actions he's done to encourage support.

Of course this would all seem to be at odds with Bran's principal character journey of ignoring temporal power in favour of higher spiritual or magical power instead e.g. Bran won't be a knight but he'll learn to fly instead. Of course his victory in the game of thrones could end up being construed as the limitations of physical means of exerting authority as against more esoteric justifications of authority and power. The Lannister faction had all the manpower and gold it could in theory ever need but it hasn't helped them one lick in actually consolidate authority over the Seven kingdoms. The Starks and Bran in particular have very limited or no forms of conventional power yet they may end up triumphing in spite of these supposed limitations.

Bran is the Lord of Darkness. He will have temporary rule over a land of the dead. His army will be led by Jon who is the incarnation of the Night’s King and their armies will be wights. Bran’s dark reign will end when spring comes back and his wights are burned by dragon fire. 

If Martin's inspiration really is the Fisher King, having Bran be a genuine political monarch doesn't really fit very well. It makes more sense for him to remain in his cave watching over the realm as a supernatural protector. Jon can be King in the North. But if things don't go that way I side with you 1994.

Are topics like these allowed in the book forum? 

Now I've seen the tv show so it doesn't bother me that much but i know there are people out there who's been avoiding the show because of potential spoilers and i wouldn't be too happy about reading a topic like this the book forum.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, Thandros said:

Maybe but weirdly it could make a lot of sense him ending up king of Westeros. Most of the other surviving members of the great houses are either going into any post war resolution council to figure out who should be in charge with lots of baggage that would arguably prevent them becoming king without vast opposition. The Baratheons are likely to be all dead in legitimate lines that aren't distant cousins. Robin Arryn may not survive and Harry the Heir doesn't exactly look like kingly material from what we've seen if he survives. The Lannisters of any relations have no hope. The Greyjoys fall into the same boat. Edmure is likely to be the only Tully to survive and he's not exactly looked upon well by everyone so he might get pushed aside.

That's a ridiculous thing to say regarding the Lannisters. The Lannisters are extremely fertile, and there are still like 10 or more Lannisters of the secondary and tertiary lines, as well as several more than that.

In what way does Harry the Heir not look like kingly material? It's not needed a lot to be king, as long as one has a reasonable surrounding of advisors and so forth. And even if he would be a bad king, if he marries and has kids, then maybe his kids will be better.

Who in the Seven kingdoms is looked upon well by everyone?? Of course he isn't looked upon well by everyone. And especially of course he isn't looked upon well by all the lords of the Riverlands, since it's the hardest kingdom to unite behind a single house in all of Westeros. House Tully is one of the few houses which can unite the Riverlands and Edmure is a perfectly fine lord. He cares about his people and has no obvious bad qualities whatsoever, except being a bit dull or meek in comparison to Catelyn and Robb. I REALLY don't understand what problem people have with him. That he failed to hit Hoster's funeral barge with his arrow, or the poorly planned attack on Stone Mill? (That might only have been in the show BTW; I'm not certain so sorry about that.) Those are the only two things. Other than that, he is perfectly fine. He is not despised like House Frey, feuding like the Blackwoods and the Brackens, cruel and immoral like the Lannisters, foolish and stubborn like the Greyjoys, too young like Sweetrobin, illegitimate like Gendry or Edric Storm, and so forth.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, GameofThrones Fan 1994 said:

Makes more sense than becoming King of Westeros as his story is about stopping the Others.

That’s what Bloodraven is training him to do. Bran is a Stark though. The Starks can’t be trusted. Something will turn Bran away from Bloodraven. He will turn to evil after he sees the deaths of Jon and Arya. 

On 7/17/2022 at 2:52 AM, the Other Wolf said:

Sweet summer child.

A lot of posters could clearly care less, especially those introduced by the abomination. Besides, the moderators gave up a long time ago. 

Fair enough.

I guess it doesnt matter since we wont get any more books anyway. 

Archived